Orion Construction Photos

IndyGuy4KI

It better spreads out the weight to keep it from sinking into the soil.  It's like how a snowshoe distributes a person's weight over greater surface area in deep snow.

These are called “ground pads”. There are lots of situations where they are used, for even weight distribution. Plus, it will help compact the base as a whole.

What will be interesting to see, is if this is it, or if they start laying large metal plates over top of it. The idea is to keep building up until a layer is firm with little flex.
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, upstop said:

Looking at the webcam.... is that a piece of track st the bottom of drop? And is it installed now?

Yep.  Once the big cranes come in, they'll work incrementally on both sides until they meet at the top with the "key stone" - the top of the lift hill.  It will be the final piece that will lock everything together structurally.

So is something like this what they're laying down as the ground pad?

https://www.sterlingsolutions.com/product/crane-mats/

sterling-lumber-crane-mats.png

• Like 4

A 4x4 box crib is capable of supporting 6,000 lbs per contact point, so 24,000 lbs for 4 pieces of wood.

Up that to 6x6 and you get 15,000 lbs per contact point, for 60,000 lbs total for 4 pieces of wood.

The larger the piece, the higher the weight per contact point, the more you can support.

Edit: this was written for FEMA US&R but explains it well.

https://www.absoluterescue.com/vehicle/quick-tipbox-cribbing/

• Like 2

Don’t ask me why, but I still find it hilarious that you have to start with a small crane to built a bigger one and then use a bigger crane to build the biggest one, which may also add parts onto the bigger one before it’s all said and done!

• Haha 4

She thicc. 

79EDE466-DA55-4E9D-AE26-08039D6FDF71.thumb.jpeg.0abb6d273c5e15d01386214f375d30ca.jpeg

The “feet” on the sides of the crane are known as outriggers or jacks. The crane will usually check all of them for contact before allowing a heavy lift since the crane is only at its strongest when all of them are touching a solid surface.
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, fyrfyter said:

The “feet” on the sides of the crane are known as outriggers or jacks. The crane will usually check all of them for contact before allowing a heavy lift since the crane is only at its strongest when all of them are touching a solid surface.

I know the outriggers on our aerial truck on my department spread out 20’, and our Bronto is 114’ tall. I hate to see what their spread is.

• Like 3