Orion Construction Photos

IndyGuy4KI

6 minutes ago, Kodistict said:

We also need a longer brake run because we will have more speed going into it unlike Fury.

I don't know if that's necessarily true.  

What do do know, as stated above, is that the lack of a mid course brake run makes the entire run of the ride - top of the hill to the end - one block.  This requires all three trains to be able to be parked on the final break runs, maybe even with a block in between each train (can anyone confirm they still do that?).  So imagine a train crests the lift hill and does the entire course without the next train being ready for dispatch.  Also, there's the unlikely case that the train would crest the lift hill with the next one unable to proceed into the station (although I believe the logic wouldn't allow it).  Just remember that there are rides like Vortex, Corkscrew (CP), and Beast* that have long brake runs but don't have an overwhelming amount of speed going into them.

*In the interest of fairness, one of the reasons Beast has a long brake run is because it was initially designed for four train operation. 

• Like 8

48 minutes ago, Fishleehooker said:

Agree. I would think the two will put up the lift hill, while the one in the parking lot will begin to build another across the way or something like that.  Then again, I am learning a lot watching this go down. I think once the 2nd monster crane is built, the hill starts going up. 

It will take three 300ft cranes like it did for fury. One to lift the last lift section and hold it in place,  one to lift the start to the drop, and one to take the crew up to bolt it together. 

spacer.pngcredit to Coaster101.com

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

I don't know if that's necessarily true.  

What do do know, as stated above, is that the lack of a mid course brake run makes the entire run of the ride - top of the hill to the end - one block.  This requires all three trains to be able to be parked on the final break runs, maybe even with a block in between each train (can anyone confirm they still do that?).  So imagine a train crests the lift hill and does the entire course without the next train being ready for dispatch.  Also, there's the unlikely case that the train would crest the lift hill with the next one unable to proceed into the station (although I believe the logic wouldn't allow it).  Just remember that there are rides like Vortex, Corkscrew (CP), and Beast* that have long brake runs but don't have an overwhelming amount of speed going into them.

*In the interest of fairness, one of the reasons Beast has a long brake run is because it was initially designed for four train operation. 

Sorry for the double post....

The blocks on this ride, in my opinion, will be the station, lift, flat part of the brake run, the lower portion of the down hill brake run, and the transfer track. There are always going to be atleast one more block then there are trains, but in manny cases there are actually 2 more as a fail safe. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Rockfrog33 said:

It will take three 300ft cranes like it did for fury. One to lift the last lift section and hold it in place,  one to lift the start to the drop, and one to take the crew up to bolt it together. 

spacer.pngcredit to Coaster101.com

Funny how we all kind of think you need a 300' crane for a 300' ride.  Clearly all of those cranes are about as high as they get.  So if the had build it to be 335' tall, I wonder if it would have had to have had special provisions.  

Side note, how was TTD topped off?  Did they use some sort of crane or a helicopter?

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Now that, sir, is a crane!

And I know that they make taller ones that are on crawers too. But my uncle was on a project that had a stationary crane built on site that had a 400" boom and a lifting capacity of 2 million tons.. 

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Rockfrog33 said:

And I know that they make taller ones that are on crawers too. But my uncle was on a project that had a stationary crane built on site that had a 400" boom and a lifting capacity of 2 million tons.. 

Do you mean 2 million pounds?  Because 2 million TONS is 4 BILLION pounds, and that sounds off.  By comparison, each of the two World Trade Center buildings weighed 500,000 tons.  I can't see any single crane being able to lift the weight of EIGHT of those at one time..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

There's a Crocodile Dundee joke in there somewhere....

That's not a crane.

This is a crane!

Also, if you stand in the parking lot's north end and face the park, the Orion constellation is right above the Orion construction site this time of year.  Fun fact...

• Like 8

When I was on The Beast night run on Saturday I pointed out that Orion constellation was exactly where they are building the Coaster!! Glad someone else saw that!

Also, on The Beast, DB, Mystic Timbers, and Racers they seem to have made a decision to make it so you can just stare at the moon on the lift hill!  Fantastic stuff Kings Island!!  I mean the view on Sat night was gobsmacking. 

edit; Add Orion lift hill to the moon staring view on lift hill!!  Does KI win the lift hill moon show or what??!

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, collin.klopfstein said:

Man, orion is going to look so nice

hgfhrfrrgrfged.PNG

The ONLY bad thing about this is that with it's location the poor racer is gonna be a moody cus what with its developing size-related psychological issues. Perhaps it will get little dog syndrome and be just gnarly in the coming years. The poor thing, what was once the biggest coaster in the whole WIDE world (!!), is on the verge of getting absolutely dwarfed!

But I love that you filled that in!. I was trying to visualize this. 

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

^Aside from last minute restroom additions to Area 72, I'm crossing my fingers that Racer gets some form of noticeable TLC to kind of compliment Orion.  

Yeah The Racer needs a lot of work. And pretty sure those giga drawings would need to be to the left of the tower no?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, silver2005 said:

^Aside from last minute restroom additions to Area 72, I'm crossing my fingers that Racer gets some form of noticeable TLC to kind of compliment Orion.  

I could very well see GCI coming in and do some partial retracking of the red side.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Funny how we all kind of think you need a 300' crane for a 300' ride.  Clearly all of those cranes are about as high as they get.  So if the had build it to be 335' tall, I wonder if it would have had to have had special provisions.  

Side note, how was TTD topped off?  Did they use some sort of crane or a helicopter?

The Liebherr 3100 has a max hoist height over 500'. If you think it's tall now, it's actually missing 3 (or 4) boom sections in it's current configuration. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kodistict said:

I wish we could get some retracking on The Beast, it is getting a little rough on non wheel seats imo.

I wish RMC would topper track The Beast. New track and new trains. keep the same layout... maybe take out the trims also. They need to do something soon. I always feel like that thing could loose a few wheels and you wouldn't even notice.

• Like 6