Orion Construction Photos

IndyGuy4KI

57 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

I noticed that Orion right now looks about the same height as DB from Kings Island drive. This isn’t impressive until you realize that DB is nearly a quarter mile closer to you.

Honestly, I see the arguments about the height and wherever but when it boils down to it if it’s a good ride then I’m happy. Height, speed, and distance records really only come to mind at the announcement. Once it’s built it’s a good ride or it’s not. 

Why about on Kings Island Drive by the drop-off/marque sign where they are about same distance from you..or the told booth where Orion is closer to our than Diamondback... nobody has posted the unimpressive pics from those viewpoints lol...

As others have said - the ride experience is what matters and most put Maverick high on their list and that cannot be seen from the parking lot...

But I also see the side where people are expecting a giga to be the "wow look at the size of that thing" view like the other gigas provide and from that aspect is where I expect most of the negativity about Orion will surface from the GP and many enthusiasts...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, pkiknex25 said:

Raging Bull's isn't nearly as tall, doesn't bank to 90*, and imo, rides more like a turn than a hill or a bank.
spacer.png
Image from Coaster101: https://www.coaster101.com/2019/08/22/19-for-99-raging-bull-at-six-flags-great-america/

Orion's first bank is straight. That bank turns a little to the left. So they are different. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ethancoaster said:

I feel like they’re going to build down rather than up today. So they’ll complete the track that’s on the drop spine, and the lift will be topped between Friday and the beginning of next week.

With the way gigas are supported, they need to complete the drop before they can top the lift. 

See Fury for example:

81f45bdb-f8d8-4610-b973-be7aba42cdaf.jpg

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

Why about on Kings Island Drive by the drop-off/marque sign where they are about same distance from you..or the told booth where Orion is closer to our than Diamondback... nobody has posted the unimpressive pics from those viewpoints lol...

As others have said - the ride experience is what matters and most put Maverick high on their list and that cannot be seen from the parking lot...

But I also see the side where people are expecting a giga to be the "wow look at the size of that thing" view like the other gigas provide and from that aspect is where I expect most of the negativity about Orion will surface from the GP and many enthusiasts...

You will not hear much, if any, showing negativity towards the proverbial "wow, look at the size of that thing" from the GP.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FirefighterENG44 said:

I would like to add it has a 4 degree more drop angle then fury.  Gotta look at the positives right.  Was at the park yesterday and got a good look at it...definitely steep!  Also got a ride on Vortex one last time.  The end of an era...bumpy as hell though ha

It will be a steeper angle than Fury, and then go under what should be the ground going into the ravine, and then coming very very close to the ground at the bottom, only to come up on a huge hill sideways. That alone should be as exhilarating as Fury or any coaster.  And I like the idea that a coaster leaves you wanting more.  We have the coaster that gives you 110% with The Beast, and kind of Banshee too.  This one will leave you wanting to re-ride it again and again. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Fishleehooker said:

It will be a steeper angle than Fury, and then go under what should be the ground going into the ravine, and then coming very very close to the ground at the bottom, only to come up on a huge hill sideways. That alone should be as exhilarating as Fury or any coaster.  And I like the idea that a coaster leaves you wanting more.  We have the coaster that gives you 110% with The Beast, and kind of Banshee too.  This one will leave you wanting to re-ride it again and again. 

Huh?  I wish.

28 minutes ago, LovinMeSomeBanshee said:

Huh?  I wish.

I worded it kind of funny...it will go below the base support of the hill. The drop will be longer than the lift hill and come very very close to the ground, which is 15 feet or so below the base supports of said hill.  That should feel really cool IMO. 

I wonder if the angle of the lift hill is the same as Orion's belt?  It seems kind of possible, depending on the time of year and where Orion is located. But when I saw it from The Beast lift hill, the constellation that is, the belt and hill may well coordinate a little bit. 

• Confused 2

These pictures don't do that beauty justice. I haven't seen it in person yet, but just by using my knowledge of the coaster it is much taller than it appears. That drop looks insane, though. I can already sense this going on many enthusiast's S tiers.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, xXDrummerKiDXx said:

Does anyone know what date the park will open in 2020?

I don't think the park has announced that and I don't think we'll know until after Winterfest. However, if I were to take a guess, I would say April 18th which is a Saturday (I checked the 2020) calendar with passholder preview night on the 17th (Friday) and Media Day/first riders event the 16th (Thursday). Just a guess and I could be way off. 

• Like 2

On 10/27/2019 at 4:55 PM, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Even though this isn't quite on Orion the coaster itself, it goes along with the Orion idea.

I just did CHAOS for the first time and let me say I enjoyed it. I love how interactive it is. Since the only attractions in Area 72 have 54" height requirements, I think it would be cool to make Chaos an all season long attraction. That also goes along with Cedar Fair wanting to do more interactive experiences. I know it probably won't happen, but just a thought of mine. 

I did (the HalloTween version of) Chaos at least twice this Haunt season and enjoyed it. I wanted to do it a third time Closing Day but the line was ridiculous and my friend was more interested in riding coasters with the limited time we had. Though the maze is toned down and shortened, I love being in that building again; the theming reminds me so much of Millennium Force. The great thing is next year, we will have a Giga right next door!

• Like 1