Orion Construction Photos

IndyGuy4KI

1 hour ago, TheFloppyDisc said:

I wonder how they are going to top it off since that is the last support.  Will they attach the last pieces on the ground and then put it up all at once? Or will they put a few pieces up at a time?

I am thinking they will the assemble it on the ground, use both large cranes for the pick, one on each end, then use the 3rd crane with the man basket to lift the workers to bolt it up.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BringBackOurEagles said:

Because of the distances and perspective, it seems like this will actually look shorter than Diamondback from the entrance/highway

Yes, but if you are looking at it from lets say from Kings High School, Orion will look taller since it is closer. From the front, Diamondback looks taller than WindSeeker since Diamondback is closer to the front than WindSeeker.

• Like 2

And the Eiffel Tower still stands tall over everything.  This probably has already been covered but . . I think I remember "The Terp" saying years ago that there is a height limit for Kings Island due to a local airport.  That KI will never get anything taller than the ET.  It that still true, or was true?  If so has new laws/rules changed for the height limit?  Or is it still '"in effect"?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

What I'm wondering is if with the 85 degree drop, will it make the drop feel shorter or will you not notice a difference between the length of this and some of the other giga drops that are 300 feet.

All I know is that when cresting the hill and looking almost straight down, I will be having an "OH $h!t" moment!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, rlentless said:

And the Eiffel Tower still stands tall over everything.  This probably has already been covered but . . I think I remember "The Terp" saying years ago that there is a height limit for Kings Island due to a local airport.  That KI will never get anything taller than the ET.  It that still true, or was true?  If so has new laws/rules changed for the height limit?  Or is it still '"in effect"?

Not true. The park has to get special permission to go over 399 feet. 

1 hour ago, TheFloppyDisc said:

I wonder how they are going to top it off since that is the last support.  Will they attach the last pieces on the ground and then put it up all at once? Or will they put a few pieces up at a time?

The method for Leviathan and Fury were fairly similar to each other and should tell us from here:
1. Exact same current set up, lift and drop up to last support each.
2. Add next piece of drop track. The drop is still steep enough that the rest of the drop can support the attached piece.
3. Last two lift pieces go up. Leviathan lifted them separately, Fury lifted together. Regardless of how lifted, the end of this segment must be supported by a crane.
4. Lift the last remaining piece, which is the first piece of the drop.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, rlentless said:

Kings Island is 8ish miles from the closest airport. The best I can find, is AC 150/5190-4A, it list 10,000 feet or just under 2 miles as the biggest airport protection zone that would apply.   Granted this needs to factor in on an vertical angle or for every 20/34 feet you go horizontal, the protection zone goes up by 1 foot.   IF KI was 10,000 feet away exactly, which it isn't, a 295 foot height limitation would exist, but due to the distant proximity of the closest airport, no practical height limitation exists.  The math changes if I68 or Warren County Airport ever got a precision approach, they have a GPS instrument approach but that isn't considered precision, so we use 34/10,000 vs 50/40,000.   But KI is still outside the 40,000 feet zone, even if it was on the edge of the zone the height restriction would be 800 feet. Going to a precision approach vs non-precision is cost prohibitive. These are system only the "big boys" prefer as the rest of us like our GPS approaches. I am not saying "The Terp" is wrong, I just can't find any information that supports that claim.

Side note: if KI wanted to get into the TV transmission business with a mult- thousand foot tower, they would have an extensive permitting process that would involve aircraft, such as Victor Airways, approaches to airports including CVG, etc.  But that is beyond the scope of this idea.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, pkiknex25 said:

The method for Leviathan and Fury were fairly similar to each other and should tell us from here:
1. Exact same current set up, lift and drop up to last support each.
2. Add next piece of drop track. The drop is still steep enough that the rest of the drop can support the attached piece.
3. Last two lift pieces go up. Leviathan lifted them separately, Fury lifted together. Regardless of how lifted, the end of this segment must be supported by a crane.
4. Lift the last remaining piece, which is the first piece of the drop.

We think it might be topped out today. Do you think with all of that they still have to do, do you think it being topped today is possible? 

1 minute ago, CoasterNerd said:

We think it might be topped out today. Do you think with all of that they still have to do, do you think it being topped today is possible? 

I don't think today is possible. With Leviathan, the crew did the last 3 steps in 1 day, but it was almost dark when they lifted the last piece, with a few more hours of attaching and connecting.

1 minute ago, pkiknex25 said:

I don't think today is possible. With Leviathan, the crew did the last 3 steps in 1 day, but it was almost dark when they lifted the last piece, with a few more hours of attaching and connecting.

Oh ok, I'm out here right now. There was 3 people on a platform up by the new support. They have since been lowered to the ground and haven't come back up yet. The cable that lifts the parts up is still on the big support piece. I have a few photos I'll post later. I'm gonna sit here a lil bit longer but I work at 5 so. :(

7 minutes ago, jcovelli said:

I just drove past on Kings Island Dr. , for those of you saying this won't look much bigger than DB .. It already does. Add in three more massive hills and this thing will dominate the skyline.

Skyline will definitely be different next year. I also found a really good spot. So I hope to come here and get pictures of the other 2 hills and the helix being constructed! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rlentless said:

A lot of what The Interpreter peddled was erroneous/blatantly false. I would not trust a fair number of what he said, especially this fact.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, KIghostguy said:

A lot of what The Interpreter peddled was erroneous/blatantly false. I would not trust a fair number of what he said, especially this fact.

This is where we draw a line, sir. 

Terp was one of the most well-informed, if not the most, members of our forums. He never claimed to necessarily have inside knowledge or anything but his knowings of the inside of the industry were deep. A truly missed part of the action here on KICentral! 

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Not sure if I’d agree that Terp was blatantly wrong on stuff but there was certainly an underlying bias from time to time. 

I can certainly agree with bias in opinions, but he was also objective with providing facts.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Kodistict said:

In the Orion birds eye view we get a good representation on how much taller its going to get. I cant wait to see this coaster dominating the skyline!

Screenshot (226).png

That drop looks fantastic. I love that most of it is hidden from most viewpoints in the park. Especially the gate.

• Like 5