Orion Construction Photos

IndyGuy4KI

Just now, kirbias1 said:

The KI construction manager said it will have an 85 degrees drop for 7 or so feet, so, does that make Orion the steepest Giga? 

Technically, it is a tie between Orion and Intimidator 305, as both of them have 85 degree drops:

https://rcdb.com/4520.htm

Though if you count launched Gigas, Red Force takes the cake with a 90 degree drop:

https://rcdb.com/10698.htm

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LovinMeSomeBanshee said:

It’s the same drop height, but Orion is 5 degrees steeper.  Orion is also a B&M, which means it’s better than that crappy Intamin :D

Technically, Orion has a .9 foot longer drop. :DThe engineers that were part of the last construction tour allegedly were predicting this to reach speeds of 93MPH on some days.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

You know what would be cool? If when the train dispatches out of the station, they have an astronaut voice that says "All Systems Go" or something along those lines over the speaker. 

More themeing than on other rides in the park would make this cool.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

You know what would be cool? If when the train dispatches out of the station, they have an astronaut voice that says "All Systems Go" or something along those lines over the speaker. 

Yeah, like how they say "Gentlemen, start your engines!" On I305. I would love it if they said T-minus how ever many seconds until dispatch.

• Like 1

This is how Fury was topped. As @pkiknex25 pointed out in an earlier in an earlier comment, the drop piece directly above the drop support is steep enough to support itself. The last two pieces of the lift will need to be held by a crane, and the piece forming the crest of the drop will be placed last.

To give you some perspective on the timeline, Fury was at a similar point to Orion in its construction on December 1st, 2014. The lift hill was topped on December 3rd, 2014. Though the difference here is that the crew hoisted the piece of above the drop support on the same day the track up to the giant supports was completed. 

So with this timeline in mind, I think it's reasonable to expect the lift hill to be completed no later than Tuesday. Maybe Monday if they work tomorrow and get that last drop piece, but I'll err on the side of caution. However, it makes sense to try and complete it before it rains on Wednesday. 

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I'd love to hear "Go at throttle up." as the lift hill speed increases towards the top.

• Like 1

Drove by KI this afternoon. Orion's drop is legit. Compared to Diamondback it is especially impressive... Lining them up in view from Soak City's parking lot was a great way to see the difference (specifically the drop angle). It is one thing to look at the numbers on paper but in person it was wild.

This thing is going to be special.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WindingSon said:

With Tower of Terror II closed, Orion will now open as the tenth tallest coaster in the world. 

I tend not to have the incomplete circuit coasters in mind when thinking of tallest, but that's an interesting point. Here's hoping we'll have a video feed for this week's topping off.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I believe it is against the TOS to post any aerial drone footage on here. I remember because I posted a YouTube video from Cincy photography showing the construction site and it got removed. 

Good point. I removed the link.