Orion Construction Photos

IndyGuy4KI

20 minutes ago, calakapepe said:

Anyone know the elevation change from DB's lift to Orion's?
I tried to find a topography map and it didn't go very close.. but it seems like it might be a 50ft ish difference?

I remember somebody saying that a while ago in this thread. Maybe around pages 40-50. I'm not 100% sure though.

• Like 2

Now this is were it would be nice to have the webcams. The lift hill is done and we can’t see anything else that is going on. Right now they could be doing the head chopper section but the great members of this site can’t take pictures of that which sucks. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, calakapepe said:

I tried to find a topography map and it didn't go very close.. but it seems like it might be a 50ft ish difference?

Google Earth shows right where DB highest point is roughly 749 feet and Orion is roughly 746 so it is nearly the same. Now, the bottom of Orion's hill is for sure lower elevation than DB. Looks like roughly 717 feet around the bottom of Orion's first drop

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Hueney020 said:

Now this is were it would be nice to have the webcams. The lift hill is done and we can’t see anything else that is going on. Right now they could be doing the head chopper section but the great members of this site can’t take pictures of that which sucks. 

Wow. How did people function years ago when they actually had to wait patiently until something was complete to see it????

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If I'm being completely honest, (and forgive me if this comes off a little negative, especially this late in the game), what we're seeing right now is precisely why I was never on board with the whole "you won't notice 13ft" argument. With the elevation disadvantage, paired with its placement in the back left of the park, I think were beginning to see that it really could have used all the height it can get in order to appear more imposing onto the rest of the park.

Or at least, its a slippery slope. I would say that it was never so much about 13 ft as much as it is about 20-30 ft, given the expectation that it was going to clear 300 ft by at least some amount, even if by just 5-10 ft. Having it at 300 flat was kind of pushing it to begin with, but take away an additional 13 ft? And yes, I do think it results in a noticeable discrepancy between this and previous gigas...

However, on the other hand (and this is positive), I'm starting to think that what is lessening the ride visually (placement), will end up enhancing the ride from an experience standpoint.

Come to think of it, I never wanted this to be a parking lot coaster anyway, so I'm actually glad to see it break from Fury and Leviathan in that regard. Sure, it won't be as immediately noticeable at the front of the park, in the way the aforementioned B&M gigas are...

But if better night rides/seclusion come at the slight expense of imposition onto the rest of the park, then that is an A-ok tradeoff in my view!

Think about it.  Would you rather be riding past a mundane ocean of concrete, traffic lines, and car light glare, OR flying through the trees and foliage of the dark Ohio woods after sundown?

I think you know my pick...

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JubJester said:

I have to say, I've never been more excited for Orion until I drove by tonight. Seeing the lift hill complete was incredible. It's amazing seeing it look behind Diamondback when you're getting off the exit. That's going to be one heck of a drop.

Me too. you can spot it from very far away, almost when you can first make out the Eiffel Tower from a distance and it looks way bigger in real life.

• Like 2

I've been meaning to post these but I keep forgetting. I took these the day that the lift hill was finished. I also apologize that there are 17 photos but I thought that I should share all of my best shots! Im so glad I found this community! I always just looked at the posts, starting with the 'Decoding 2020' I never thought I'd be involved in the actual content. I appreciate  whenever I get lots of likes on my posts! It makes me feel like a bigger part of the community  and y'all are the best! Like I've said, I will be taking pictures like this til its done! (I hope to get pics when they start running test cars xD ) 

DSC_0223.jpeg

DSC_0226.jpeg

DSC_0237.jpeg

DSC_0246.jpeg

DSC_0274.jpeg

DSC_0320.jpeg

DSC_0369.jpeg

DSC_0372.jpeg

DSC_0417.jpeg

DSC_0437.jpeg

DSC_0526.jpeg

DSC_0710.jpeg

DSC_0723.jpeg

DSC_0725.jpeg

DSC_0799.jpeg

DSC_0801.jpeg

DSC_0877.jpeg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Sorry for double post! I'm not sure if this is a problem or not, but, I made a FaceBook page to post all of my photos on so i'm not filling up an entire page of photos and only post a few. I will provide a link below. It will take some time for me to filter out my best pictures, but I hope to be adding to them regularly  so make sure to check it out! I will of course  post my very best shots here!!

Here's the link to my page!

https://www.facebook.com/The-Coaster-Nerd-114764029969283/?view_public_for=114764029969283

• Like 3

On 11/9/2019 at 1:05 PM, calakapepe said:

DB's lift sits on land at elevation of 756 (source: https://webmap.co.warren.oh.us/wcgis/auditor/)

image.png

Orion's lift sits on about 746/748 (so roughly 10 feet lower --- unless they re-graded the land any)

image.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2