Orion Construction Photos

IndyGuy4KI

3 minutes ago, JonahWilliamson said:

I love Orion, when it was announced I didnt hate or talk bad about it. Like everyone I was a lil sad that it was exactly like the renderings so there wasnt much of a shock element. 

But im sooooo excited to see it in person, more excited to ride.

ONE THING. I just wished they had that wave turn flipped out towards the park. So we can see the riders, kinda like furys wave turn over the bridge. They changed it from facing toward the park to facing the guest walking in when Rob Decker was talking with B&M he wanted that open front gate feel you get with GateKeeper. 

Anyone know why its facing that way or if there even is a reason it faces that way?

Because it turns to the left there and it would be more of an outer bank if they flipped it

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JonahWilliamson said:

I love Orion, when it was announced I didnt hate or talk bad about it. Like everyone I was a lil sad that it was exactly like the renderings so there wasnt much of a shock element. 

But im sooooo excited to see it in person, more excited to ride.

ONE THING. I just wished they had that wave turn flipped out towards the park. So we can see the riders, kinda like furys wave turn over the bridge. They changed it from facing toward the park to facing the guest walking in when Rob Decker was talking with B&M he wanted that open front gate feel you get with GateKeeper. 

Anyone know why its facing that way or if there even is a reason it faces that way?

I had the same thought, but I do think Orion's layout is one of utility. It would be *ameeeeeeeeeezing* if that first element was an outward bank, but I think B&M are not quite ready to bend it like RMC. Nonetheless, element one (it's not a wave turn) is unique!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, KingsMills79 said:

Does anyone think that the spine should have been a separate/different color like Fury 325? 

I think that should be a signature on B&M Giga's  to separate them from the Hypers etc.

It would look nice but not needed mostly because Orion goes through the woods not the entrance of the park.

No one really knows. KI has not mentioned anything about the hills. Some think the second hill is a wave turn, others think it is a Stengel dive, others overbanked hill. I do not think the turn around is a treble clef but it’s hard to tell until it is built. I have noticed you can not go by the animation of the ride. Or maybe I am the only one that sees slight differences already between the animation and the actually ride. 

• Like 1

I really want to make some music puns with all these treble clef references, but I feel they'd go over most members' heads...

Though, a treble clef element would really put the 'G' in G-forces.

Waiting for someone to potentially get it now....

silver2005, being cryptic. 

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, FitzGorrelCoasters said:

Is the element after the wave turn a treble clef?

To me, it looks more like a dive loop than the treble clef, but without an inversion (non-inverted dive loop). I also feel that the “wave turn” is more of a Stengel Dive than a wave turn, since the airtime is more vertical than lateral.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KingsMills79 said:

Does anyone think that the spine should have been a separate/different color like Fury 325? 

I think that should be a signature on B&M Giga's  to separate them from the Hypers etc.

I feel like I’m in the small minority that doesn’t love Orion’s colors... a different color on the spine definitely would have set it off! I really hope the trains each have a different paint job - I’d love to see one of them have some more of the red/orange color that was used on the trim of the photographed car for the sake of standing out a bit more. Regardless of color, I am going crazy waiting to ride this thing!

1 hour ago, STLcoasters33 said:

I feel like I’m in the small minority that doesn’t love Orion’s colors... a different color on the spine definitely would have set it off! I really hope the trains each have a different paint job - I’d love to see one of them have some more of the red/orange color that was used on the trim of the photographed car for the sake of standing out a bit more. Regardless of color, I am going crazy waiting to ride this thing!

At first I really didn’t care for Orion’s colors either. It has, however, grown on me quite a lot. I personally would have chosen a darker color palette to go with the end-of-the-world theme, but that’s just my silly ol opinion. I am really excited to see the ride finished, and to see what it looks like at night. I think a lighting system like Fury would look awesome.

• Like 1

That is beautiful! However, it seems to be darker blue than when I saw it in person Saturday. It looked turquoise/aqua from a distance (which I really liked), so maybe it's actual color starts to show the closer you get to it (or maybe I'm mis-remembering :wacko:). Either way, I'll have to re-examine it next Friday...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blue_Onion_Rings said:

At first I really didn’t care for Orion’s colors either. It has, however, grown on me quite a lot. I personally would have chosen a darker color palette to go with the end-of-the-world theme, but that’s just my silly ol opinion. I am really excited to see the ride finished, and to see what it looks like at night. I think a lighting system like Fury would look awesome.

I’m sure once I see it in person I will be a big fan. If I remember correctly someone posted that there will be similar lighting to Fury’s on the first two hills. For those of you familiar, are Fury’s lights the same or do they change colors? I feel like I’ve seen it illuminated both green and purple. Also previously mentioned - light up wheels would really set this thing off!

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, STLcoasters33 said:

I’m sure once I see it in person I will be a big fan. If I remember correctly someone posted that there will be similar lighting to Fury’s on the first two hills. For those of you familiar, are Fury’s lights the same or do they change colors? I feel like I’ve seen it illuminated both green and purple. Also previously mentioned - light up wheels would really set this thing off!

I don't think we said anything about Fury's lights. Just DMX lighting. If I were to take a guess would be at the bottom lighting up the supports. But I would also love to see an LED light system going up the catwalk railing on the lift with maybe a traveling like effect similar to Valravn. And then top it all off with light up wheels! 

• Like 2

Hey y'all! Its prediction time!!

I have put together when I believe each element should be completed by. I based my predictions off of the completion and testing dates of previous KI coasters! Don't judge me, this is only predictions and just for fun...unless I get them right!

Here we go! (Refer to the picture for when I think the elements will be completed by)

IMG_0608.PNG

Last piece to be installed on January 23rd, or the 27th 

Testing will start a month to a month and a half after the last piece is installed! (March 4th - 16th, 2020)

Opening Day: April 18th, 2020

Orion will hit 1,000,000 riders in late May to early June

• Like 10

12 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

The park added this photo on IG earlier.

Okay the only thing I can think about is how amazing the head chop is going to be when the train fits under that small gap.

Like wow, it's a lot tighter than I was expecting the area to be and that's without the track taking up much of the space. 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, CoasterNerd said:

Last piece to be installed on January 23rd, or the 27th 

Testing will start a month to a month and a half after the last piece is installed! (March 4th - 16th, 2020)

Opening Day: April 18th, 2020

Orion will hit 1,000,000 riders in late May to early June

Nice timeline. The only thing i think is off is the testing. I will have to look back at old articles but I thought KI mentioned test running was going to happen in February. 

Also I agree with the head chopper. I don’t understand how that is going to fit in there. Every picture angle so far has made that section feel very tight. Definitely going to want to keep the hands down on that section. 

• Like 3

Its now dipped below the trees. I also like how the early morning sun really rims out the track and gives some dimension to it. 

I also wanted to mention that coming over from Kings Mills you can see this hill now and the lift is majestic from that angle. Also, when coming back from Columbus yesterday at exit 28, you can also see this clear as day and it towers over the park. 

7762D2E1-2A88-4A8E-8BE7-D56512545CD6.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Hueney020 said:

Nice timeline. The only thing i think is off is the testing. I will have to look back at old articles but I thought KI mentioned test running was going to happen in February. 

Also I agree with the head chopper. I don’t understand how that is going to fit in there. Every picture angle so far has made that section feel very tight. Definitely going to want to keep the hands down on that section. 

I believe they know what they're doing. They wouldn't have went for it if it was going to be unsafe. I believe several people were concerned about the tunnel on Yukon Striker and how tight it looked and turned out to be safe.