Orion Construction Photos

IndyGuy4KI

Yes. Yes. I understand it is safe. It’s just me that hates that feeling. I put my hands down on The Beast for the tunnels. I know they would never hit anything but i am taller so that feeling that i am going to hit something does not sit well. 

I am sure that section is much bigger than the pictures make it out to be. @Waltny again thank you for the awesome pictures. That is definitely the best angle for the second hill. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hueney020 said:

Yes. Yes. I understand it is safe. It’s just me that hates that feeling. I put my hands down on The Beast for the tunnels. I know they would never hit anything but i am taller so that feeling that i am going to hit something does not sit well. 

I am sure that section is much bigger than the pictures make it out to be. @Waltny again thank you for the awesome pictures. That is definitely the best angle for the second hill. 

You are welcome.

The more I look this hill over, the crazier it looks. It doesn’t look like the gentle sweeping hill the POV made it out to be. It appears that this hill of Orion may have some intamin style transitions... at least I can hope! 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, CoasterNerd said:

Hey y'all! Its prediction time!!

I have put together when I believe each element should be completed by. I based my predictions off of the completion and testing dates of previous KI coasters! Don't judge me, this is only predictions and just for fun...unless I get them right!

Here we go! (Refer to the picture for when I think the elements will be completed by)

IMG_0608.PNG

Last piece to be installed on January 23rd, or the 27th 

Testing will start a month to a month and a half after the last piece is installed! (March 4th - 16th, 2020)

Opening Day: April 18th, 2020

Orion will hit 1,000,000 riders in late May to early June

My bday is March 12th. I cant remember the exact date but Banshee was so close to running the first time on my birthday, Every year I hope something has its first run on my bday. I REALLLLYYY want Orion to test March 12. First test. March 12.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hueney020 said:

You can definitely touch the top of the tunnel on The Beast, but I am sure that this has been designed so you can't hit your hands on it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, teenageninja said:

You can definitely touch the top of the tunnel on The Beast, but I am sure that this has been designed so you can't hit your hands on it.

Wait what?? I know this is off topic but you could potentially touch the top of the tunnel on The Beast. 

31 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

You definitely could if you have longer arms, and it could potentially be very painful.

I think I might have touched it once or came close to hitting one of the lights with the tip of my finger. I remember having my Hands up and grazing something with the tip of my finger. It hurt pretty bad. I figured engineers knew what they were doing and would have designed it out of arms reach. From that point on its hands down for me. 

1 minute ago, Ben43065 said:

I think those are just supports that are laying in the ground until they need to be put up. They’re not actually supporting the ride

Sort of weird that they put them there instead of where they are working. But I'm sure they have their reasons.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, teenageninja said:

Yes, some people can.  One would be me.  Last traditional closing day in 2016, my right middle finger had a splinter imbedded and the three middle fingers were red.  It smarted something fierce for a couple of days.  Now I ride The Beast hands down.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, JonahWilliamson said:

I cant wait to see the headchopper piece sitting in there, Nobody talked about. Dont know why KI isnt marketing that as an element. Cant wait to see the clearance. 

The animation may not accurately to depict the depth and may use a different field of view. 

In 2008 this very same site was talking about what we would think was going to be a head chopper moment on Diamondback based off the animation and in reality did not turn out to be as much of the moment we had been expecting.

Screenshot_20191127-125148_YouTube.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Captain Nemo said:

The animation may not accurately to depict the depth and may use a different field of view. 

In 2008 this very same site was talking about what we would think was going to be a head chopper moment on Diamondback based off the animation and in reality did not turn out to be as much of the moment we had been expecting.

Screenshot_20191127-125148_YouTube.jpg

I think objectively Orion's should be more pronounced, but it may or may not have much impact while riding. Fury's headchopper during the helix almost makes the helix worthwhile.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aj74205 said:

I think objectively Orion's should be more pronounced, but it may or may not have much impact while riding. Fury's headchopper during the helix almost makes the helix worthwhile.

I don’t know how it wouldn’t be pronounced.  The amount of space between the ground and the track above it right there is less than 10 feet I’d say.  It’s definitely going to have that headchopper feeling.

• Like 1

I'd also like to think the way the supports are put in place is more to do with the structural integrity rather than head chopper effects.  

In any case, head choppers are vastly more effective with wooden supports than the more typical modern steel supports, IMO, unless you have a really compact course like Flight of Fear.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LovinMeSomeBanshee said:

I don’t know how it wouldn’t be pronounced.  The amount of space between the ground and the track above it right there is less than 10 feet I’d say.  It’s definitely going to have that headchopper feeling.

That space is deceiving, some rudimentary math using pixel counts would put it at closer to 20-25' where the track will actually pass under.  I can guarantee you that you won't be able to hit the track with arms fully raised like is apparently possible on Beast's tunnel (ooof, and ouch!).

• Haha 2