Orion Construction Photos

IndyGuy4KI

7 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Anyone else catch them welding at the bottom of the helix earlier?  I didn't have time to screen shot it but it was very apparent and neat to see.  Happened around 3:30 today.

What were they welding? Have they put the chain in yet?

1 hour ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Anyone else catch them welding at the bottom of the helix earlier?  I didn't have time to screen shot it but it was very apparent and neat to see.  Happened around 3:30 today.

Yeah, maybe they where welding the track rails together?

B&M track isn't welded at all, the connections are all bolted together. I saw some brief welding a while back down at the base of the first drop, but they were down on the ground, so maybe they're welding the anchor nuts to the footer bolts above where the track is attached on said bolts.

It's been done before, when X-Flight was relocated from Geauga they had to jackhammer the footers apart and cut the bolts from underneath the track because the anchor nuts were welded to the foundation bolts.

The rails are sanded in some way at every joint so all the transitions between track sections are fully smooth, you can see the missing paint on Diamondback and Banshee at the joints where this is done, although I don't think they use anything that would look like welding for that process.

• Like 3

Throughout the construction, I have noticed welding arcs at the bases of each support.  I believe it is as @PKIDelirium stated above, and the welding of the anchor nuts to the footer studs.

Also, it appears that the supports on the drop are still in place, at least the closer one (it's all I can make out right now).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, teenageninja said:

It would take a very good welder and a ton of time to weld the tracks together, also the connection is probably a little too rigid at that point.

In the fury 325 construction documentary, they mention that the bolts holding the sections of track together are torqued to 500+ foot lbs each.. so that's pretty rigid lol. But the track is designed to move and sway as whole on the supports.

2 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

I realize B&M is considered one of if not the best with manufacturing tolerances but are we certain the sections are just bolted together?  Seems like without any sealant or gasket over time water could seep through joints start corroding the structure from within.

there is a cap a few inches back from each end. see these pics https://themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=48745&start=1360

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, jcovelli said:

there is a cap a few inches back from each end. see these pics https://themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=48745&start=1360

Very Interesting!  Given that, there may be a round internal alignment bar that gets put into this pocket as the two sections are put together.  This would keep the rails aligned very well.....

8 hours ago, PKIDelirium said:

The rails are sanded in some way at every joint so all the transitions between track sections are fully smooth, you can see the missing paint on Diamondback and Banshee at the joints where this is done, although I don't think they use anything that would look like welding for that process.

I've always seen those joints and, I suppose, assumed that they were grinding down weld lines.  But just grinding the joints inline makes sense too.

13 minutes ago, TheFloppyDisc said:

There is a large piece of track that T-Bone is holding, but it hasn't moved in like an hour...

StillTrack.JPG

I couldn’t tell and still can’t tell if that is track or a boom. We will find out soon enough.

edit: on the original file I zoomed in and it is indeed track. 

Also, I’m going to guess it goes up before noon. 

• Like 1