Orion Construction Photos

IndyGuy4KI

15 minutes ago, Waltny said:

I got it. There is a support hidden back there it’s resting on but they had to lift this piece over the currently large support so it came up over the trees.   

Can we get a photo

18 minutes ago, Buckeye27 said:

Well they are actually removing the temporary supports from the lift now

What do the temporary supports do?

• Like 1

Just now, KingsMills79 said:

It ceases to amaze me how dark it is on the webcam. Like the track that they are currently installing is blending in with the tree line SO much that it is impossible to see the actual  track piece being attached. 

Very frustrating

I noticed that too lol, but hey I'll take a cam over no cam any day.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KIguy2004 said:

Do you think Kings Island will turn off the cam when Orion starts testing?

Someone else might have a better answer to this since I wasn't here for Banshee or MT construction, but from looking back at those threads I believe the camera was left on during testing for both those rides.  I would imagine they would do the same for Orion.

• Thanks 1

The cameras will be turned off during testing, at least if the past is any indication, but it will be possible to watch and spot from different areas, however impossible to see it all unless you've got an eye in the sky.  however, once testing is complete, the cameras will come back up and you'll be able to watch it undergo some cycling prior to opening up for the public.

• Like 1

I don't remember if the cameras went down during Mystic Timbers testing, but I do remember vividly watching it do test runs before the ride opened as I remember seeing how fast the ride was going over the 2nd hill and being impressed at the speed. So the cameras did come back up for Mystic Timbers before opening day, if they did go down.

The park also put this video out after the 1st test run was done for Mystic Timbers, and I imagine Orion will get a similar video:

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Legofan237 said:

To help keep the supports in place?no

7 minutes ago, Beast Night Rider said:

This may be a dumb question but does anyone know why they remove the temporary lift hill supports? Why not leave them in place?

I’m sure it’s a looks thing. They don’t need them anymore and it looks more elegant without them. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Beast Night Rider said:

This may be a dumb question but does anyone know why they remove the temporary lift hill supports? Why not leave them in place?

When the remainder of they layout is put in, the coaster essentially leans on itself. Those supports were up to spread out the pressure on the spine, now that the other track and supports are up the pressure and weight is more evenly spread out

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, JonahWilliamson said:

When the remainder of they layout is put in, the coaster essentially leans on itself. Those supports were up to spread out the pressure on the spine, now that the other track and supports are up the pressure and weight is more evenly spread out

But where to the temporary supports go?  If you paid for them you might as well keep them  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, flightoffear1996 said:

But where to the temporary supports go?  If you paid for them you might as well keep them  

Thats a great question. Im not sure in all honesty. But if B&M were really smart about it, the bolt fittings, should be universal and fit all gigas and maybe they can use them on the other gigas. The only problem is the distance between the spine and supports might be different. So Im not sure. Maybe they are thrown back in to the big lava pot at Clermont steel and melted back down who knows.

• Like 1

I don't think it works like that.  I think KI is its' own general contractor and they hire out different phases of the project.  B&M designs to spec, Skyline (or whatever the name of the company is) handles the erection (and probably subs out electrical, mechanical, plumbing, etc), KI brings in ride control systems engineers, landscape companies and thematic companies.  I used to think B&M would just be paid 30 million for a GiGa and the park just gave them a key to the gate, but I no longer think that way.

• Like 1

I think the idea is, on the chase there is a major catastrophe or dummies start flying off the ride, they don't want the web cams on so that everyone can record it.  Once they get the first wave of testing done and confident everything is "as should be' they'll turn them back on.  I believe each ride has to cycle a specific number of times before human can jump on, so there will be a number of cycles over several weeks to get the ride to that point.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, medford said:

I think the idea is, on the chase there is a major catastrophe or dummies start flying off the ride, they don't want the web cams on so that everyone can record it.  Once they get the first wave of testing done and confident everything is "as should be' they'll turn them back on.  I believe each ride has to cycle a specific number of times before human can jump on, so there will be a number of cycles over several weeks to get the ride to that point.

I  believe it is 5,000 cycles in a row without a fault. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1