Orion Construction Photos

IndyGuy4KI

42 minutes ago, medford said:

I believe each ride has to cycle a specific number of times before human can jump on, so there will be a number of cycles over several weeks to get the ride to that point.

It was mentioned before that each train must do 500 runs without any issues. If it does, they must start over.

• Like 1

This may be a dumb question but does anyone know why they remove the temporary lift hill supports? Why not leave them in place?

Because the track needs to be able to flex, watch Diamondback drop, it will flex back and forth. Watch steel vengeance, that flexes almost a foot sometimes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

Time for The Rattler video, it starts getting good about half way. :D

I wasn’t sure what I was watching at first but you can really see the track moving hallway through, like you said. That is crazy! It’s almost like suspensions for the coaster cars. Never seen a track move that much before, thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Enchanted Voyage Lover said:

It was mentioned before that each train must do 500 runs without any issues. If it does, they must start over.

1 hour ago, flightoffear1996 said:

1 hour ago, flightoffear1996 said:

I  believe it is 5,000 cycles in a row without a fault. 

From my experience working around roller coasters during their construction and testing, while I was not "on the crew" building the ride and I can't publicly talk about my actual job due to non-disclosures but you can think of it someone hired to protect to customers interest with regulatory compliance and safety, none of these numbers are even remotely close to real world. Granted each ride is different and both the state and manufacturer have ride testing requirements(insurance as well but are mostly identical to the manufacturers) and I have not seen the documentation for Orion, but I would be shocked if they had this requirement.  

In this day and age, testing is data driven not brute force driven.  Rides are tested with sensors and that data is used to verify if the ride is safe. Think G force, speed, deflection, vibration, etc. vs well it went around 500 times and therefore it is safe.  B&M has designed a testing protocol that will be followed to a T, and they will be part of the testing, they will want to test under different conditions, such as weight of the train, wheel configuration, ambient temp, dry/wet, single vs multi train operation, and many many other variables.  While it is possible the coaster may hit 500 cycles or even 5000 or could be as little as 50 before the testing phase is over, there is no single number on dispatch a train X number of times and your good to open.  They will spend days opening and closing the station gates, putting trains on the track and then away all while them never making a circuit. Roller coaster testing is a serious business.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Enchanted Voyage Lover said:

Yes this is partly true.  When I worked at KK, and Lightning Run was new. I remember staying past midnight just to run that thing through cycles don’t know about a specific number but it as constantly moving for hours.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PilotDude said:

From my experience working around roller coasters during their construction and testing, while I was not "on the crew" building the ride and I can't publicly talk about my actual job due to non-disclosures but you can think of it someone hired to protect to customers interest with regulatory compliance and safety, none of these numbers are even remotely close to real world. Granted each ride is different and both the state and manufacturer have ride testing requirements(insurance as well but are mostly identical to the manufacturers) and I have not seen the documentation for Orion, but I would be shocked if they had this requirement.  

In this day and age, testing is data driven not brute force driven.  Rides are tested with sensors and that data is used to verify if the ride is safe. Think G force, speed, deflection, vibration, etc. vs well it went around 500 times and therefore it is safe.  B&M has designed a testing protocol that will be followed to a T, and they will be part of the testing, they will want to test under different conditions, such as weight of the train, wheel configuration, ambient temp, dry/wet, single vs multi train operation, and many many other variables.  While it is possible the coaster may hit 500 cycles or even 5000 or could be as little as 50 before the testing phase is over, there is no single number on dispatch a train X number of times and your good to open.  They will spend days opening and closing the station gates, putting trains on the track and then away all while them never making a circuit. Roller coaster testing is a serious business.

This is a podcast Chad had shared on Twitter with KI employees, which is where the uninterrupted cycle requirement has come from.

http://www.coasterradio.com/episodes/1401.html#t=44:47

1 hour ago, FoF96" said:

Yes this is partly true.  When I worked at KK, and Lightning Run was new. I remember staying past midnight just to run that thing through cycles don’t know about a specific number but it as constantly moving for hours.

This sounds more like a break in or training then a certification. While I have operated roller coasters I have never been certified for any given coaster so I am unsure of KK or CF rules for non-maintenance coaster training. 

In other coasters I have worked around, both B&M and other companies, the manufacturer did all of the certification operation as they owned and insured the coaster until it passed its certification.  This is a really complicated area to discuss though as each ride, insurance and state has its own requirements. But from my experience it was a let B&M break it so they have to fix it, they certify it as working then park maintenance goes through a training period where they can operate it, then general park staff. 

The first several dozen? runs of each train are going to have issues. Each issues will be tiny, something as simple as a sensor moved just enough to no longer sense the lap bar position. It isn't uncommon for to have a test run, manufacturer techs climb all over the train and coaster for a couple hours, dispatch again and repeat.  On any given day a certificated coaster wont complete 500 dispatches with out an error.  Most of them are so minor it "fixes itself" with the computer re-polling a sensor/ sensor group but the computer still logs an error that maintenance can check the log for. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, JonahWilliamson said:

Thats a great question. Im not sure in all honesty. But if B&M were really smart about it, the bolt fittings, should be universal and fit all gigas and maybe they can use them on the other gigas. The only problem is the distance between the spine and supports might be different. So Im not sure. Maybe they are thrown back in to the big lava pot at Clermont steel and melted back down who knows.

Ill see if I can zoom in enough on some of my current shots to show where it was bolted into the the spine. 
Well, after zooming in on those temp supports on can see they are beat up a bit and look to be a pressfit? 

All images are deep crops on existing photos I’ve taken.

37C570D6-8D13-4180-AA2B-3DD168072549.png

88F26D5E-126D-4DC9-B559-310940F0CE4E.png

94514B05-9213-40A8-903F-70B81E34C647.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1