Orion Construction Photos

IndyGuy4KI

Just think, even this last little hill (83ft) is nearly as tall as The Racer's first hill (88ft).  But I am sure the drop is not as long.

Ride Stats from "www.visitkingsisland.com"

Track Length: 5,321 feet  
Height of First Drop: 300 feet  
Length of First Drop: 447 feet   
Total Number of Hills: 8  
Height of Hills: 287 feet, 174 feet, 202 feet, 56 feet, 147 feet, 125 feet, 90 feet, 83 feet  
Top Speed: 91 mph  

• Like 5

It looks like there could be a really nice pop of airtime in the front of the train at the top of the last turn.

I will definitely miss the updates once the layout is finished.  There will be some work that will be visible from the cam, and it will be fun to see testing videos, but I've really enjoyed watching this coaster be constructed.

It's amazing how much Kings Island has changed in a little more than a decade.  Diamondback.  Banshee.  Mystic Timbers.  Orion.  Four world-class coasters installed in 11 years.  Think about that for just a moment.  I still think Diamondback really changed the park dynamic.  It changed crowd patterns, gave the park a marquee attraction, and showed guests that coasters could be tall and fast and could still be smooth.  It has been the most popular attraction at the park for the last decade and really set the stage for the other additions.  The B&M trio now will have the highest capacities in the park, which shows Cedar Fair's commitment to guest satisfaction.  It's just an amazing time to be a Kings Island fan! 

• Like 13

6 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

It definitely was fun to watch this coaster be built, but I hope this thread stays open until we ride because we can use it to discuss things like the ride's theming, queue, etc. I'm sure the park will post pics on how Area 72 and stuff is coming along. 

It will stay open until at least Opening day.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Maverick44 said:

Its only 1 pm. They have to get one more track section in. I don't think they can leave that piece hanging. We may see one more and the rest tomorrow!

Definitely another one will have to be added.  And looking at how far the support is from the track we may have another one installed that connects to the final support. 

59 minutes ago, Beast Night Rider said:

Off topic but in case anyone hasn’t noticed, the DB camera is back on with a new view...and they cleaned the lens. The new view is pretty cool too.

Yeah. I do like this angle better since it shows more. And you can see them working on Character Carousel rehab.

AND A BETTER FOG FREE LENSE!!!!!!!!!

• Like 4

I've always imagined that installing the last piece of a coaster would be a nail biter.  They could have a tolerance of 1/4" or less.  Of course B&M's are so expertly engineered, that its probably not as nerve wracking.  But it is the moment in which it all (literally) comes together.  Tight squeeze!

Either way, I've really enjoyed watching Orion rise.  Hats off to KI for sharing its construction on the Web.

• Like 12

25 minutes ago, Klabergian Empire said:

Yeah. I do like this angle better since it shows more. And you can see them working on Character Carousel rehab.

AND A BETTER FOG FREE LENSE!!!!!!!!!

And check for traffic backup from eastbound if it stays like this after opening.

12 minutes ago, Shaggy said:

I've always imagined that installing the last piece of a coaster would be a nail biter.  They could have a tolerance of 1/4" or less.  Of course B&M's are so expertly engineered, that its probably not as nerve wracking.  But it is the moment in which it all (literally) comes together.  Tight squeeze!

Either way, I've really enjoyed watching Orion rise.  Hats off to KI for sharing its construction on the Web.

Hoping it's a test lift/fit before someone films the final piece being placed and post on social media later today/tomorrow. *hopefully*

• Like 1