Orion Construction Photos

IndyGuy4KI

3 minutes ago, Shaggy said:

I don’t have any knowledge of the patch jobs done after the 2006 issues.  Truth be told, I was over SOB by then.  I guess they probably had to usher in a large crane for the loop removal etc - but not necessarily one of those large semi- permanent ones with the box type structure.

I thought you meant after it ran for media day (when I first rode) and they ripped out the curve leading up into the rose- bowl.

BTW - SOB never ran for the public as originally designed and built.  It’s a real shame because media day rides were far superior - albeit was too extreme for the GP.

What changed between media day and when it opened?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Shaggy said:

I don’t have any knowledge of the patch jobs done after the 2006 issues.  Truth be told, I was over SOB by then.  I guess they probably had to usher in a large crane for the loop removal etc - but not necessarily one of those large semi- permanent ones with the box type structure.

I thought you meant after it ran for media day (when I first rode) and they ripped out the curve leading up into the rose bowl.

BTW - for posterity - SOB never quite ran for the public as originally designed and built.  It’s a real shame because media day rides were far superior - albeit was too extreme for the GP.  I’ll never forget that experience.  Such a shame... doomed from the start. 

The patch jobs it had from that early period in 2000 is what I was referring to.  In the report (I did a college paper referring to it as part of the 2009 accident), it described that stuff the park (as part of the forensics investigator's argument that the ride should have never been opened at all) did to it early on and seeing the cranes in the video (which is dated June 24th, 2000), I just assume that's what they were there for.  The video is kind of a snapshot of that early period of its history.  I remember it being closed on and off its first few years.  I remember it wasn't until around 2002 or 2003 that it started to operate somewhat regularly (I went a LOT from the mid 90s to the mid-2000s). 

Anyways, its cool seeing stuff from KI back in the day.

You may continue with your regularly scheduled Orion discussion.  

• Like 1

A correction to what I posted - SOB media day was around April 28th and it soft opened to the public that weekend after modifications were made following media rides.  It ran that weekend and was then closed indefinitely for further, more extensive, modifications to that same area.  It did not “officially” open- according to the park - until late May (26th.)

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Shaggy said:

I thought you meant after it ran for media day (when I first rode) and they ripped out the curve leading up into the rose bowl

May I ask for clarification, what part of SOB was the "rose bowl?" Was that the first helix? 

4 hours ago, Waltny said:

I could see it. Funny thing is a security guard from the park drove up and asked about it saying "The park has a no fly zone". My only reply was "Well, he isnt with me" and the guard said that whoever was flying it was going to find out real soon. 

This is funny. The park is not a "no fly zone".   The park has no legal basis to call itself a no fly zone. They can and do say you can't fly a drone FROM their property which is 100% legal (in that they can trespass you off property if you refuse to leave, but no legal charges for the act of flying the drone), but off property and airspace above they have no say.  Might have to find a good weather day here in the near future to venture down that direction, been awhile since I have flown in that area.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gforce1994 said:

2D4A3C8B-1C1D-4119-905C-1FD835A9BE19.png

I guess I got banned for liking the tweet that said to check the park’s social media for official information.

Is Robb behind this Twitter group too? When it comes to Twitter it's best just to be a silent observer even if you are a fan of someone's work.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Is it just me or does it look like there is a rectangle thing at the bottom of the first drop?

Screenshot_20200130-225208.png

Not just you, if you look at the webcam you can also see it. My best guess is that’s from the wooden planks (or what ever that was) that the large cranes sat on during construction.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well Wild Gravity Travels wasn't the only facebook page that messed up earlier today. I don't know If anyone has seen my page before, but I run Cedar Fair Photo Fanpage. Anyway, I made the mistake of posting that Orion was finished too. However, I don't think I'm that well known yet. I only have 500 likes. Hopefully, after reading this post, some of you might look me up. ;)

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Ben43065 said:

Not just you, if you look at the webcam you can also see it. My best guess is that’s from the wooden planks (or what ever that was) that the large cranes sat on during construction.

Looks like a fenced lock out area to me.  Lots of coasters have them in areas where the track gets very close to the ground.  I believe Fury does.  Diamondback has one too.  

F4FD96F1-5C78-42AE-8460-0EBD02B3E231.jpeg

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Shawn Meyer said:

Well Wild Gravity Travels wasn't the only facebook page that messed up earlier today. I don't know If anyone has seen my page before, but I run Cedar Fair Photo Fanpage. Anyway, I made the mistake of posting that Orion was finished too. However, I don't think I'm that well known yet. I only have 500 likes. Hopefully, after reading this post, some of you might look me up. ;)

Wild Gravity Travels doubled down and made wild claims about the park and park officials. Clearly, you did not do that as you’re showing remorse.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Shaggy said:

Looks like a fenced lock out area to me.  Lots of coasters have them in areas where the track gets very close to the ground.  I believe Fury does.  Diamondback has one too.  

F4FD96F1-5C78-42AE-8460-0EBD02B3E231.jpeg

I thought he was referring to this but now I understand what he was referring to, my bad.

D90548CD-6180-4D58-A8EE-269D8A966158.jpeg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Captain Nemo said:

Is Robb behind this Twitter group too? When it comes to Twitter it's best just to be a silent observer even if you are a fan of someone's work.

Oh I was being silent, only liking posts from Don and Chad. Later someone sent me a snapshot of the post they sent to someone where I was referred to as an “kiss asses”. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, gforce1994 said:

They’re not bolting it in, they’re lining it up.

AND that wasn't the "correct" photos of it being finished!   That was the "fake" finish...   so funny.

He even says "you can SEE it RIGHT there! " like he knows it wasn't really the REAL finish. :rolleyes:

• Like 1