Orion Construction Photos

IndyGuy4KI

17 hours ago, DejaVu2001 said:

Definitely. What amazes me though with how much everyone has been watching the webcams, how on earth did those cars get loaded onto the storage track without anyone catching it?

Some might say they have actually been in the shed for a while now. What better place to store the trains then the place designed to store the trains.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Right. Testing definitely isn’t terribly soon. The trains being on the track is possible, but I don’t know if it’s true or not.

At least one of the trains is on the track, it was visible on the webcam while it was still running yesterday.  But it was just sitting on the transfer track, and there is no chance it will go up the lift hill anytime soon.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Kenban said:

At least one of the trains is on the track, it was visible on the webcam while it was still running yesterday.  But it was just sitting on the transfer track, and there is no chance it will go up the lift hill anytime soon.

Did anyone get a screen shot of it??

• Like 1

Looks like two of the trains have the same color of.. middle spine? So, not sure the color distinction between there. BUT the far right (ours) train has a lighter blue (teal) spine peaking out.. which is different than the one we've seen already.

Edit- in person. Im not referring to the animations. Where we have seen a teal spine.. just trying to avoid being quoted.

• Like 11

What's enough time to run proper tests?

It's 60 days till media day. So it's going to be starting soon maybe not next week but probably by end of month I'd think. To have time for adjustments or whatever during the process. And allow weather buffer days I'm sure.

• Like 4

As an outsider, it does appear they are really far ahead on this one!  Exciting!

But I would assume they’ll do clearance checking way before they ever consider sending a train.  (On B&Ms there’s a specially devised framework resembling the width and height of the train & riders that gets moved along the track.)  Even though there’s not a lot of areas that visually appear close - I’m sure they’ll still do it.

I’ve never known if the “B&M Ball” is used to check clearance - or if that’s just for maintenance - but Fury has one so I would guess Orion will too.  I’ve heard this “ball” is used after vertical construction completes for addressing track and joint needs.

Plus, do we know if the chain has been installed?  I guess they probably did that while they still had the “big” crane.  But I don’t know when that process typically takes place.  

There’s a ton of electrical that has to be done after vertical erection is complete in any coaster- along with computer and sensor programming.

I’m sure they will send a train as soon as they can - but not until it’s ready.  It’s got to be a very exciting time for the park knowing they are getting closer and closer.

Side note - I think the fact that they’ve already announced media day, and accepted registrations for it, is a pretty good indicator that they know they’ll have the coaster running well before then.  (I believe the State requires tons of cycles before a guest can ride.)

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Shaggy said:

But I would assume they’ll do clearance checking way before they ever consider sending a train.  (On B&Ms there’s a specially devised framework resembling the width and height of the train & riders that gets moved along the track.)  Even though there’s not a lot of areas that visually appear close - I’m sure they’ll still do it.

Yeah, I haven't seen how B&M tests their first trains but I know other companies use a slow crane-assisted test with a clearance aid that takes a few days. Not just sending a train willy-nilly.

• Like 3

Cool I wasn't sure how long or how many cycles needed to test for readiness. Times flying lol. Interesting that it right only takes about 20 days to get it all sorted out. But since this isn't the first giga, they should mostly know what's expected in the testing anyways. 

It'll be fun to watch going around it's course. 

• Like 7

While I wish that that Orion construction camera was still running, I guess that it will be rather boring from this point forward.  Regarding testing, I would think that they have to:

1.  Install the lift hill chain and motor.

2.  Finish installing the brake systems, including any trims.

3.  Get the station up and running, including drive tires or whatever will be needed to propel the stopped trains.

4.  Do a proper clearance run with one car and the projected clearance envelope.

5.  Landscaping, finish the queue, and who knows what else.

Not being privy to what all has occurred, I'm not sure where they are on the above steps.

• Like 4

B&M doesn't do full pull thoughs. They will use a separate reach envelope frame for any areas with tight clearances (for Orion, probably only where it goes under the first drop). The only actual pull through that occurs on B&Ms is they will pull the first car from one of the trains back and forth through the final brake run, station, and pre-lift drive tires to check alignment. All the brakes and drive tires are already mounted before track is put up. As for actually getting everything up and running, they're probably a lot closer than most people seem to think. There's a reason the brake run, station, and lift go up first, so they can start working on all the electrical well before track installation is complete.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Skibum said:

While I wish that that Orion construction camera was still running, I guess that it will be rather boring from this point forward.  Regarding testing, I would think that they have to:

1.  Install the lift hill chain and motor.

2.  Finish installing the brake systems, including any trims.

3.  Get the station up and running, including drive tires or whatever will be needed to propel the stopped trains.

4.  Do a proper clearance run with one car and the projected clearance envelope.

5.  Landscaping, finish the queue, and who knows what else.

Not being privy to what all has occurred, I'm not sure where they are on the above steps.

Most testing is probably going to be programming the timing of brakes and general train control. Both for capacity and safety in a variety of conditions (empty trains, full trains, random seats filled and wet, cold, warm conditions etc.. Also stress testing the ride in general during this time.

• Like 3

Rollercoasters Valleying is not that big of a deal, it’s a relatively common occurrence. Factors such as wind, temperature ect can cause a ride to valley. It’s not that big of a deal, they just remove the trains. No need to spend hundreds of thousands re-profiling a ride that has already been meticulously designed. 

• Like 3