Orion Construction Photos

IndyGuy4KI

2 hours ago, Benjamin22 said:

Interesting they cleared this area out, anyone got any theory’s? (Referring to the top left of the photo)

Also I’m surprised they may not be removing the Dinosaurs Alive path.

2DE41CBD-5593-4DEB-938D-027C06B2A0B0.jpeg

Compare that photo to this one from years prior they made the effort to remove those tree's as well as the chainlink fence so I would assume they are doing something.

outer-limit-flight-of-fear-kings-island-600x339.png

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Benjamin22 said:

Interesting they cleared this area out, anyone got any theory’s? (Referring to the top left of the photo)

I have a theory for both.

Referring to the area that they have cleared out I think they might either add something theming or expand the area a bit more.

As for the Dinosaurs Alive path, I'm not surprised that they kept it. That path can be used for almost anything in the future. They could do something like a Forbidden Frontier and theme it differently. They could turn it into a Haunted Trail for Halloween Haunt if they ever decided to get rid of another haunted attraction and needed to compensate

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Oldschool75 said:

Unfortunately, that's not entirely correct. 

As of December 9, the plan was for a themed food stand in that location. That looks like a food stand to me, especially in the drone video from a few days ago. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KIghostguy said:

As of December 9, the plan was for a themed food stand in that location. That looks like a food stand to me, especially in the drone video from a few days ago. 

See my last post. 

3 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Do you work for the park? Just curious

You could say in some ways, and some ways not. Then again we are all connected in some way.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, KIghostguy said:

Mmmmkay...  we shall see...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Benjamin22 said:

As Baconator mentioned, they could use it for anything. I wouldn't be surprised if they use those for BTS Orion tours in addition, or instead of the main access road they just paved.

I would love to see footage from those types of vantage points since this coaster is entirely away from walkways during summer season~

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, calakapepe said:

As Baconator mentioned, they could use it for anything. I wouldn't be surprised if they use those for BTS Orion tours in addition, or instead of the main access road they just paved.

I would love to see footage from those types of vantage points since this coaster is entirely away from walkways during summer season~

Other ideas of mine would be a Slingshot or Skyflyer relocation but that would not allow for any future expansion, might conjest the enterance to A72, and look weird right next to Racer.

On another topic, anyone think they'll recycle some old Top Gun props? 

• Like 3

Got to give a hats off to Cedar Fair on this one. 10 years ago, no one would have guessed Cedar Fair would reach this level of theming. While its been a progression from Dinosaurs Alive to Forbidden Frontier to Area 72, they've really started taking it up a notch with Mystic Timbers and Orion. While it's still not quite the level of the KECO or original paramount theming (90's & early 00's),  I think they're really showing their dedication to this park. While still a small area, this is going to be one of the better themed areas in the Cedar Fair Chain. It'll be fun to see how it turns out, but I 'm already hyped (FF Queue extension, IMA SCORE!!!, Prop Building, backstory, "themed" food stand). This is really gonna be interesting, but I hope it convinces them to keep up the good job with theming and continue to try new things like this.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

That's awesome! Also, you can see that they are building an enclosed quonset hut before the stairs. Hopefully something cool is in there!

What is a quonset hut? Where is the theming for Area 72?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, CoasterJack said:

While it's still not quite the level of...original paramount theming (90's & early 00's)...

Nothing says Wild Animal Habitat like TOP GUN, or Coney Mall like DAYS OF THUNDER, or Rivertown like TOMB RAIDER: The Ride. Paramount ran an amusement park with individually themed rides. Mike Koontz runs a theme park.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

image.png

A few thoughts that I have:

1. If those are restrooms to the left in the picture of the Chaos building, hats off to Cedar Fair for putting those in.  Time will tell if those get built in 5 and a half weeks or not but this is great news if that is true.

2. The themed food stand appears to be already finished right in front of Chaos.  Wonder what type of food that they will have?  Will we finally get our season long mac and cheese stand?

3. The old entrance to the FOF queue appears to be leveled out instead of sloped like it was before.  I believe part of what was going in there was lockers, but is it possible part of the area will also be a store?  I believe the blueprints showed the entire new queue for FOF going around thru part of the old Firehawk queue.

4. Above all, I am most curious what they are doing beside of the exit to FOF.  Is it possible we are getting a flat?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rivertown Rider said:

image.png

Above all, I am most curious what they are doing beside of the exit to FOF.  Is it possible we are getting a flat?

Thats what I'm curious about. Carowinds debuted their gliders when Copperhead Strike opened so it wouldn't be too far fetched. 

My problem is that its literally right next to where hundreds of people are going to be walking through, unless they push it back some. 

That space could also be potential expansion land but I don't know hpw much they can add since that parade float structure is in the same vicinity.

On a side note, I wonder if this'll be all of what's added to A72 in its entirely. Will they keep this little dead end or will they eventually expand on the other side of Orion like some have speculated?

Also I wonder if the old FoF photo stand will get any love

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Rivertown Rider said:

image.png

A few thoughts that I have:

1. If those are restrooms to the left in the picture of the Chaos building, hats off to Cedar Fair for putting those in.  Time will tell if those get built in 5 and a half weeks or not but this is great news if that is true.

2. The themed food stand appears to be already finished right in front of Chaos.  Wonder what type of food that they will have?  Will we finally get our season long mac and cheese stand?

3. The old entrance to the FOF queue appears to be leveled out instead of sloped like it was before.  I believe part of what was going in there was lockers, but is it possible part of the area will also be a store?  I believe the blueprints showed the entire new queue for FOF going around thru part of the old Firehawk queue.

4. Above all, I am most curious what they are doing beside of the exit to FOF.  Is it possible we are getting a flat?

1. Yes

2. Not yet

3. That new queue is for expanded line

4. No

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

Thats what I'm curious about. Carowinds debuted their gliders when Copperhead Strike opened so it wouldn't be too far fetched. 

Mountain Gliders was still in the park before CHS, it was just moved and rethemed. I don’t think they’re adding a new ride back there for this season. We have just over a month before opening, not enough time to be build it, test it and open it. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Benjamin22 said:

Mountain Gliders was still in the park before CHS, it was just moved and rethemed. I don’t think they’re adding a new ride back there for this season. We have just over a month before opening, not enough time to be build it, test it and open it. 

That's why Slingshot was in the back of my mind

20 minutes ago, KIguy2004 said:

What is a quonset hut? Where is the theming for Area 72?

Someone has never watched Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C :D   “Surprise, Surprise, Surprise!”  (Gomer was kind of the original Forrest Gump)  I even learned how to plug and spike a watermelon watching that “family show”.

A Quonset hut is a cheap prefabricated building made of corrugated and galvanized sheet metal with a semicircular roof.  Used extensively in WWII and after primarily as barracks for troops.  Many were surplussed after the war so you will see them still around, frequently used as barns, storage sheds, vehicle storage etc.   

• Like 3