Orion Construction Photos

IndyGuy4KI

4 minutes ago, collin.klopfstein said:

Man if Son of Beast stayed, it could of been one of the best rmc conversions 

This may not be the right thread to say this, but I am pretty sure one of the reasons that SoB was demolished instead of SBNO (for a while) was that there was a lot of structural flaws in the ride and it would have been way cheaper to demolish it rather than keep it standing, replace parts of the structure that are bad, and have RMC convert it. It doesn't seem very wise to RMC convert a ride that is prone to intensive structural flaws.

But on the plus side, I 100% agree that it would be awesome! Thinking about it I would kinda like to see a 200ft+ RMC come to the park. If possible, use SoB's original station and try to keep its original layout. I know that it's impossible with Banshee occupying a great deal of SoB's land, but I would imagine they would move it further back so the majority of the ride is behind Banshee.

• Like 6

This may not be the right thread to say this, but I am pretty sure one of the reasons that SoB was demolished instead of SBNO (for a while) was that there was a lot of structural flaws in the ride and it would have been way cheaper to demolish it rather than keep it standing, replace parts of the structure that are bad, and have RMC convert it. It doesn't seem very wise to RMC convert a ride that is prone to intensive structural flaws.
But on the plus side, I 100% agree that it would be awesome! Thinking about it I would kinda like to see a 200ft+ RMC come to the park. If possible, use SoB's original station and try to keep its original layout. I know that it's impossible with Banshee occupying a great deal of SoB's land, but I would imagine they would move it further back so the majority of the ride is behind Banshee.

imagine how you could interact between the two coasters, that’d be AWESOME!
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Marc3E said:

imagine how you could interact between the two coasters, that’d be AWESOME!

I honestly wouldn't. The original SoB didn't interact with with any other rides (that I know of; can we fact check that?). Looking at a google maps image, it looks like a new coaster using the SoB station would HAVE to somewhat interact with Banshee (at least the back end towards The Bat). If they wanted to, they could even tap into WCS land as well.

• Like 1

I honestly wouldn't. The original SoB didn't interact with with any other rides (that I know of; can we fact check that?). Looking at a google maps image, it looks like a new coaster using the SoB station would HAVE to somewhat interact with Banshee (at least the back end towards The Bat). If they wanted to, they could even tap into WCS land as well.

in a way it did with The Bat (then known as flight deck) but from what i understand that wasn’t really intentional, i’m just saying from a custom layout perspective, you could do some awesome stuff...
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Klabergian Empire said:

If by interacting with you mean crossing over other coasters, Adventure Express crossed under it.

Adventure Express never crossed under SOB.  It was somewhat close to the structure though. 
Proof- 

Better watch out. This could cause a new uproar about posting non authorized povs. Side note: I miss the wind noise in the tunnels.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BeeastFarmer said:

Better watch out. This could cause a new uproar about posting non authorized povs. Side note: I miss the wind noise in the tunnels.

Better not cry

Better not pout

I'm telling you why

...whoops wrong thread, I thought this was the Winterfest thread:P

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, silver2005 said:

Adventure Express never crossed under SOB.  It was somewhat close to the structure though. 

Proof- 

image.jpeg

Wow! I stand corrected. I swear I remembered crossing under it. Must’ve been a dream.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Captain Nemo said:

Has there been any update on the lift hill lighting package?

I get the chance to drive by the park at least once a day and I haven’t seen anyone up on the lift. The only lights on in the park(ridewise) since the stay at home order was put in place is the Eiffel Tower and Congo Falls. What we do know is that the maintenance lights have been installed along the lift and brake run.  

From my own images of the lift from the drop off and what has been shown of the lift via drone footage I would feel safe in saying there is a blue LED strip on the upper hand rail, the white bar I though might have been a light strip on the middle bar is the safety strap rail and the jury is still out on if there is a lighting element of some kind along the lower hand rail. We have still not seen lighting on, at or near the base of the supports that would suggest the lighting that was alluded to by a screenshot of the webcam by Collin earlier in the thread. 

That’s my speculation for now, I guess we will know when we finally see it lit. 

• Like 6

Unpopular opinion? SOB had a boring layout. The drop and the loop were great, everything else was filler. The rose bowl was one of the main attractions of the ride and cause for the most issues. It was supposed to be a bigger and better version of Beast's helix but failed miserably. I don't think there's much RMC could have done with the rose bowl to make it better other than completely tearing it down and have the ride go a different direction at the top of the second hill. Or leave the rose bowl alone and just shore it up, keeping the same layout. I'll take Banshee with the hope of a ground up RMC someday any day. 

With that being said, if we had gotten Iron SOB, some sort of barrel roll at the top of the second hill would have been epic and could have changed my mind on the whole subject.

• Like 9

38 minutes ago, teenageninja said:

Son of Beast was a very mediocre ride.  Steel Dragon 2000 is not boring.  It's like Millennium Force and Magnum had a baby.  It's a great ride.  I've ridden it.

Have you ever been on Wild Thing @ Valleyfair!?

The Steel Dragon POV always reminded me of that ride.  Wild thing has a great first drop and a killer floater air on the 2nd hump, it ends with a Magnum like small hill section thru tunnels that is a lot of fun, but the middle of the ride is a ride killing figure 8 that takes a lot away from the ride overall (it was still fun).

Steel Dragon looks to have a similar set up, but it appears the middle section is better, then being taller the first drop and floater 2nd hill would be better (in theory) and the last portion looks better as well.  Just wondering how the middle section of Steel Dragon complements the first and last part of the ride.

28 minutes ago, Beast Night Rider said:

I wish we could see some new photos of Orion. I’m hoping grass has started to grow with all this rain. I can’t wait to see how much better it looks with some greenery! 

Grass growing.  Good topic.   I bet they don’t try and grow from seed, that is hard to do in the spring and keep going into the heat of summer.  My guess is they use sod.  Then again watching grass grow from the webcams would give us something to talk about.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Joshua said:

This is news to me as well. It looks like it happened at least two years ago. This image is from a Dayton Daily News article from 2018:

https://www.daytondailynews.com/news/watch-10m-plan-set-for-the-former-americana-amusement-park-take-aerial-tour/3CsO1x1EZyXtg8L639dZ0H/ 

4394148.vpx.jpg

It was drained around 2007

Edited by Sixflags82
Fixed Grammar
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

Grass growing.  Good topic.   I bet they don’t try and grow from seed, that is hard to do in the spring and keep going into the heat of summer.  My guess is they use sod.  Then again watching grass grow from the webcams would give us something to talk about.  

Using sod everywhere would be pretty expensive- they'd probably use it in the areas near the station and hydroseed the rest. 

• Like 5