Orion Construction Photos

IndyGuy4KI

On 5/12/2020 at 9:14 AM, PatchesC said:

Do they have to have a ride inspector there during testing?

Why would they? They are conducting an acceptance test from the manufacturer to the park. Then the park will do the state testing which isn't nearly as involved as you think it is.  It is more paperwork in nature then hands on inspecting.  The manufacturer of each ride has a checklist the park will do before the state arrives.  The state is worried that the park has "installed" the ride according to the manufacturers recommendations.  This is things like counting bolts, not checking that they are tight. Checking that E-stops work and the ride completes a cycle or two with out issues. Ohio is one of the "stronger" states when ti comes to ride inspections, but they barely scratch the surface and leave the overwhelming majority of it up to the park and manufacturer to figure out.  Ohio has 8 inspectors for 4,000ish rides in the state.  Each one needs to inspect 500 rides spread across the state, 10 per week, 2 per day every day Monday through Friday.   Now remember we are in Ohio, so most rides are down for the winter, which means the "season" to conduct ride inspections is even shorter, maybe 4-6 months April to maybe September, so now we are looking at 4-6 rides per day or 1-2 hours per ride max.  We have fairs and festivals later then that, but each ride only has to be inspected the first time it enters the state in a given year.

• Like 2

I've watched the camera throughout the day, and I've seen many golf carts and vehicles driving through. Sadly, if you look closer, RFYLCB & the DB pond are still empty. They have a bit of rain water, but it doesn't look like they're filled up.

Screenshot (159).png

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, CoasterJack said:

I've watched the camera throughout the day, and I've seen many golf carts and vehicles driving through. Sadly, if you look closer, RFYLCB & the DB pond are still empty. They have a bit of rain water, but it doesn't look like they're filled up.

Screenshot (159).png

I don't think those will get filled up until they get the green light to start getting ready. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I don't think those will get filled up until they get the green light to start getting ready. 

Agreed, it'll only add one more thing to their list to clean and maintain when they're already low on staff and trying to prepare, so they might as well wait until the last minute to add clean new water. It'll also keep costs down. I'm starting to wonder if water rides will get cut this year due to high operating costs (WWC, Congo, RFYLCB).

• Like 1

Agreed, it'll only add one more thing to their list to clean and maintain when they're already low on staff and trying to prepare, so they might as well wait until the last minute to add clean new water. It'll also keep costs down. I'm starting to wonder if water rides will get cut this year due to high operating costs (WWC, Congo, RFYLCB).

i’d say so, they won’t be bringing in as many people when the park opens because of the media scare and panic they’re putting on everyone...
  • Like 5

On 5/14/2020 at 7:22 AM, PatchesC said:

I didn't know how involved inspectors may or may not be during the construction of a new ride. Sorry for ignorance.

Sorry, my tone didn't come across great in my response, I should have phrased my wording better.  Please don't ever be sorry for trying to learn. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, collin.klopfstein said:

Idk if the mason city hall is open or not but if it is, would someone be willing to go check and see if there are any new blueprints?

This request seems rather callous considering all city offices had been closed with only essential services due to the pandemic. 

Besides the entire Orion project and area is practically complete (based on images we've seen) besides landscaping work.  What are you hoping to see or discover?

Even if the offices have opened back up, one would imagine they have some work to catch up on.  Do you think now is a good time to bother with a pointless request?

• Like 2

Just took a drive by the park.  Didn't get any pics as it was raining a bit hard and there isn't a good spot to stop and take photos without trespassing somewhere.  Orion looks dominating in its presence and it kind of evens the skyline out with DB.  They actually kind of look the same size from afar. 

Also, the campground by the McDonald's and Wendy's is coming along a bit.  Didn't get a good look due to driving and rain.  The interchange on Western Row at 71 is also done.  

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

Also, the campground by the McDonald's and Wendy's is coming along a bit.  Didn't get a good look due to driving and rain.  The interchange on Western Row at 71 is also done.  

Wait they are still building that outdoor resort they talked about there? I haven't heard anything on it and I didn't even know they actually started construction. And I live just 5 minutes from there.

• Like 4

They definitely don’t need inspectors to test.  The way it was explained to me when I was helping test lightning run was we could run the thing 24/7 if we wanted. But no one from the public is allowed to ride until the inspectors sign off on it

• Like 1