Orion Construction Photos

IndyGuy4KI

On 5/16/2020 at 5:13 PM, FoF96" said:

They definitely don’t need inspectors to test.  The way it was explained to me when I was helping test lightning run was we could run the thing 24/7 if we wanted. But no one from the public is allowed to ride until the inspectors sign off on it

Does that mean park employees or people that build the ride can ride?  If so, anyone think people have been on it already?

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, medford said:

Does that mean park employees or people that build the ride can ride?  If so, anyone think people have been on it already?

I would assume the state needs to sign off on it before any Human can ride it. Just a guess from me.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, tuxedoman52 said:

"We are not roller coaster engineers" - Ohio Department of Agriculture

And the sad thing is, it wasn't until 7 months ago that the ODA was even required to have an engineer on their staff.

Legislation passed at the end of 2019, in response to the Ohio State Fair accident two years prior, added the provision to add a Professional Engineer as a non-voting member to the ODA Advisory Council on Amusement Ride Safety.

So even when they add a professional engineer, they strip them of voting rights on any recommendations...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, PatchesC said:

I'm gonna stretch and say many fairs are 4H, which is Agricultural, fairs have rides, sooooo.... :D

Makes sense, it just doesn't sounds right haha I think of people going to look at corn fields and then go over  to KI and inspect Orion haha

• Haha 2

With regards to ride safety/regulations, I've sort of always had this theory that most parks, particularly large (non-traveling) ones in fully-developed countries like KI is, probably hold their rides to higher standards than does their jurisdiction/governing body. 

Even morals and ethics aside, ensuring safety as priority no. 1 of a park is as important for business as anything.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KIghostguy said:

Orion is cycling right now.

Its been cycling most of the day, all 3 trains. It was the same yesterday and you could clearly see when the train that was running the circuit hit the appropriate block and then the one on the lift picked up speed . 

• Like 5

19 hours ago, medford said:

Traditionally, yes, employees of the park and employees of the construction company can and often do ride before the state inspections have been completed.  I cannot comment on Orion specifically but I have seen it plenty of times.  My guess is someone has ridden Orion already, it might have been an employee of B&M, or a park employee but I am betting someone has been on it.

Here is video of Iron Gwazi testing with people, not that long after completing track work.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Maverick44 said:

Make one wonder how the heck the dept of agro is in charge of these massvie rides haha. 

Fun fact, this is due to county fairs. Back in the day as fairs added rides, the obvious place to put the rides inspectors were under the department of agriculture as they were already involved with the fairs. Now Ohio is lucky to have two world-class amusement parks that obviously don't fall under the fair model and agriculture, but Ohio has left the inspectors alone as the overwhelming majority of their work still takes place at fairs and festivals.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, PilotDude said:

Fun fact, this is due to county fairs. Back in the day as fairs added rides, the obvious place to put the rides inspectors were under the department of agriculture as they were already involved with the fairs. Now Ohio is lucky to have two world-class amusement parks that obviously don't fall under the fair model and agriculture, but Ohio has left the inspectors alone as the overwhelming majority of their work still takes place at fairs and festivals.

It makes sense! just kinda funny to think about lol

21 hours ago, Maverick44 said:

B&M's are masters of floater air and they need trims sometimes for this to happen. I'll take it! If I want ejector I'll ride an RMC or Intamin coasters. They all have their pluses.

I would agree that B&M are masters at floater air, but depending on where you sit you can experience some serious ejector air. I think in the first 2 cars on DB there is some pretty serious ejector... enough to try to fold you over the the restraint. Then as you get a little further back you get that little pop with a sustained floater with the farther back you go, a little bit more force on the pop with the sustained air on the backend. With Orion's speed, I wonder how this will play out on those air time hills in the 4x8 trains. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Waltny said:

I would agree that B&M are masters at floater air, but depending on where you sit you can experience some serious ejector air. I think in that in the first 2 cars on DB there is some pretty serious ejector... enough to try to fold you over the the restraint. Then as you get a little further back you get that little pop with a sustained floater with the farther back you go, a little bit more force on the pop with the sustained air on the backend. With Orion's speed, I wonder how this will play out on those air time hills in the 4x8 trains. 

That speed hill will for sure get some real nice ejector air I am sure. I will also add Arrow for ejector air. Magnum is crazy. So crazy I don't like riding it lol

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Maverick44 said:

That speed hill will for sure get some real nice ejector air I am sure. I will also add Arrow for ejector air. Magnum is crazy. So crazy I don't like riding it lol

I hope so on that speed hill considering the drop on that turn around is listed at 202. 

As for Arrow, I would agree. When I first started coming back to the parks with my son, I wasnt a fan at first of the serious pops you would get sitting up front on Vortex,  and then as for Magnum... I swear multiple times that the train itself left the track on the air time hills and the upstop wheels were working overtime! 

• Like 3

Just now, Waltny said:

I hope so on that speed hill considering the drop on that turn around is listed at 202. 

As for Arrow, I would agree. When I first started coming back to the parks with my son, I wasnt a fan at first of the serious pops you would get sitting up front on Vortex,  and then as for Magnum... I swear multiple times that the train itself left the track on the air time hills and the upstop wheels were working overtime! 

Yeah Idk if its just me but my legs take a beating and its just uncomfortable. I'd be ok with them taking it down and replace with a B&M hyper lol Sorry to get off topic. 

As for Orion, Speed hill andI think going into break run might eject. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Maverick44 said:

Yeah Idk if its just me but my legs take a beating and its just uncomfortable. I'd be ok with them taking it down and replace with a B&M hyper lol Sorry to get off topic. 

As for Orion, Speed hill andI think going into break run might eject. 

Yes, going in the brake run I think it going to be a sleeper element. Watching it before the trees flushed out, it looked like it comes in with a bit of speed and it looks very aggressive for B&M especially with how late in the ride it is. It will be a good time on wet rainy days riding all over that train and finding out for myself... one day, hopefully soon.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Waltny said:

Yes, going in the brake run I think it going to be a sleeper element. Watching it before the trees flushed out, it looked like it comes in with a bit of speed and it looks very aggressive for B&M especially with how late in the ride it is. It will be a good time on wet rainy days riding all over that train and finding out for myself... one day, hopefully soon.

Agreed. I can't wait for a front row / back row rides.

• Like 1

I would be very surprised if management or others haven't ridden Orion yet. I remember they posted pretty early about them taking their first rides on Banshee during winter/spring 2014. I would imagine they just didn't post anything due to the negative connotation of riding it during the corona pandemic. 

• Like 3

I would be very surprised if management or others haven't ridden Orion yet. I remember they posted pretty early about them taking their first rides on Banshee during winter/spring 2014. I would imagine they just didn't post anything due to the negative connotation of riding it during the corona pandemic. 

that makes sense, still would’ve been nice to hear about it during these times tho...
  • Like 2