Orion Construction Photos

IndyGuy4KI

4 hours ago, KI FANATIC 37 said:

I would be very surprised if management or others haven't ridden Orion yet. I remember they posted pretty early about them taking their first rides on Banshee during winter/spring 2014. I would imagine they just didn't post anything due to the negative connotation of riding it during the corona pandemic. 

Coworker has a friend that works in maintenance and has ridden it.  Says its fast as ****.  Thats the only scoop I have ... lol 

• Like 3

On 4/8/2020 at 10:24 PM, King Ding Dong said:

Everybody get to bed early and get a good nights sleep. Media Day starts bright and early in the morning.  :ph34r:

Everyone should post content from Banshee and Mystic Media Days in the morning.  It will be like ESPN Classic.  

When is media day?

• Like 1

I guess KI could have a super secret cohort of Orion ride-ops they are training, but why?  It takes hundreds of people to operate a park.  We have not heard a peep about anybody starting training.  That is not something that can be kept secret, for long anyway.  Somebody’s sister, brother or friend is going to know they are going to the park for training and they are not covered by any NDA.  

• Like 3

My guess is that the park may have an ideal idea of when they will be allowed to open. They said they would need 4 weeks at least to get everything open. So potentially they might open like June 20th but potentially could be allowed to open June 13th. My guess is that they are actively testing Orion so that employee early rides, media day, charity event and maybe a pass holder event can all happen during the week of June 13-20 before the park opens. 

• Like 2

I had some issue with the audio and instead of trying to fix I just deleted the original audio and used royalty free youtube music. 

Disclaimer: 

This is edited footage. Once the train drops behind the dorms, that footage is clipped till it gets back to the airtime hill. Due to angles, I wasnt able to squeeze that into the frame and amounts to 10 secs or so of dead space.

• Like 6

22 hours ago, Waltny said:

I had some issue with the audio and instead of trying to fix I just deleted the original audio and used royalty free youtube music. 

Disclaimer: 

This is edited footage. Once the train drops behind the dorms, that footage is clipped till it gets back to the airtime hill. Due to angles, I wasnt able to squeeze that into the frame and amounts to 10 secs or so of dead space.

Great video showing the lift jog. After doing some quick calcs, and timing the trains in the video, it seems the advertised capacity of 1650pph is at least possible. Hopefully it’s still possible once you factor in the station load/dispatch times.

I’m also hoping when Orion opens that the trains will be loaded at full capacity for the sake of the ride’s speed. The first time I rode Leviathan it was a 90% empty train. We were crawling through the over bank above the parking lot. With some of the testing footage posted this week it’s visibly noticeable that trains without water dummies are cresting the large airtime hill with less speed than full trains. So many caveats to be said too: the ride hasn’t opened, they’re probably working out kinks, it’s not a hot summer day, etc. I’m just trying to say that a full train will be going into the final brakes with more speed than a slower one. Hopefully COVID-19 doesn’t mess this up too.

I’m pumped for this ride regardless and eagerly await Kings Island’s opening day announcement!

• Like 1

Great video showing the lift jog. After doing some quick calcs, and timing the trains in the video, it seems the advertised capacity of 1650pph is at least possible. Hopefully it’s still possible once you factor in the station load/dispatch times.
I’m also hoping when Orion opens that the trains will be loaded at full capacity for the sake of the ride’s speed. The first time I rode Leviathan it was a 90% empty train. We were crawling through the over bank above the parking lot. With some of the testing footage posted this week it’s visibly noticeable that trains without water dummies are cresting the large airtime hill with less speed than full trains. So many caveats to be said too: the ride hasn’t opened, they’re probably working out kinks, it’s not a hot summer day, etc. I’m just trying to say that a full train will be going into the final brakes with more speed than a slower one. Hopefully COVID-19 doesn’t mess this up too.

I’m pumped for this ride regardless and eagerly await Kings Island’s opening day announcement!

when do you think they’ll announce an opening date?

2 hours ago, Marc3E said:

when do you think they’ll announce an opening date?

They cannot give an opening date until the Governor says amusement parks can open. 

If he says they can open, I am guessing opening between June 26th to July 4th.  After that I don't know if it makes since to open.  But nobody really knows at this point.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Snowball said:
Short answer: Nobody knows. Long answer: Aaaaaaaaaannnnsssswwwwweeeeerrrrrr

that’s exactly why i said when do you THINK it’ll open? it’s just meant to be a guess...

1 hour ago, flightoffear1996 said:
Aren't all the inspectors currently laid off?  Can the rides even get certified at this point?

are they really? i wasn’t aware... either way they’re gonna be hired straight back once we get back to normal...

• Like 1

It doesn't really take all that much effort to inspect a ride. Maintinence does most of the job for them, the inspector just has to sign off saying it's good to go. Side note: I still don't understand why the dept of agriculture is in charge of inspecting rollercoasters. Should probably be ODOT imo

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, IceePirate said:

It doesn't really take all that much effort to inspect a ride. Maintinence does most of the job for them, the inspector just has to sign off saying it's good to go. Side note: I still don't understand why the dept of agriculture is in charge of inspecting rollercoasters. Should probably be ODOT imo

If ODOT was in charge of coaster inspections, there would be pot holes in every ride at KI.

• Like 6
  • Haha 3