Orion Construction Photos

IndyGuy4KI

I always thought that the rattle on Diamondback was because of the wheels, not the track.  I definitely notice in my nether regions when I am on a train with a bad rattle on Diamondback.  Banshee has this shake/rattle than can be annoying, but I don't ride Banshee but once or twice a visit.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kodistict said:

Wow, and that's also without test dummies! I'm pretty sure there are no test dummies, looking at the shadows and the train in the station, it looks like they are empty.

That train was sent empty, so yes, no dummies

• Like 4

Just now, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

A lot of the GP don't seem to be impressed by the POV. Several news stations have posted it and there are several comments that say "it's just Diamondback but taller and painted blue" or "it's boring because there are no loops." 

So same as the announcement comments:P

Comments were not too good for Maverick at CP or Mystic Timbers prior to park opening either....

I think comments will change once people actually ride it.

• Like 11

6 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

A lot of the GP don't seem to be impressed by the POV. Several news stations have posted it and there are several comments that say "it's just Diamondback but taller and painted blue" or "it's boring because there are no loops." 

What is it with GP and their loop de loops :lol:

2 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

I am convinced the "rattle"is just the anti rollbacks bouncing while the ride is in motion. 

I am a bit surprised @BeeastFarmer is not railing on you for being an “expert on coaster rattling”.  

We need more cross threading around here.  :D

So.... why are they rollbacks bouncing now when they didn’t before?  Is this a maintenance or design issue?   @DonHelbig obviously agrees, maybe he can answer.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Anyone that does not work at the park or in the industry is the GP. 

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

If I had a grain of salt for each of these reactions I took to heart, I don't think I'd be able to flavor anything. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dbackdreams said:

I watched it and oh my gosh its not Daimonbdack!  It look awesome!!!!!! So high and fast and looks like goes to space!  I might have new favorite ride!!!!! What is a gp again so somebody like me and dad and mom who don't work at King's island right

The general public from an amusement park standpoint are those who visit the park, but just to visit and don't work there or for the industry. From an enthusiast standpoint, they are basically the same thing, but not an enthusiast. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, King Ding Dong said:

I am a bit surprised @BeeastFarmer is not railing on you for being an “expert on coaster rattling”.  

We need more cross threading around here.  :D

The difference is that @IndyGuy4KI stated his thought as his opinion not as fact.  Another poster stated his viewpoint as a fact, inferring he is an expert on the subject.  There is a big difference.  It's the tallest longest fastest meanest difference ever to strike KIC.

16 minutes ago, BeeastFarmer said:

The difference is that @IndyGuy4KI stated his thought as his opinion not as fact.  Another poster stated his viewpoint as a fact, inferring he is an expert on the subject.  There is a big difference.  It's the tallest longest fastest meanest difference ever to strike KIC.

Mocking a poster with “learning disabilities”.  Keeping it classy I see. :P

Facts are not your strong point clearly.   Look at at Europe.  

You anti-maskers IMO are the problem.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

Mocking a poster with “learning disabilities”.  Keeping it classy I see. :P

Facts are not your strong point clearly.   Look at at Europe.  

You anti-maskers IMO are the problem.

Mocking?  I happen to like his posts and signature line.  Imitation is a form of flattery.  You're pointing out his misspelling is the classy move, as well as your quotation marks.

Facts are evolving rapidly about this virus.  What has been accepted has been thrown out and accepted again.

Anti-mask?  Hardly.  With the way the guidelines change, I tend to rely on years of evidenced-based practice.  It's hard to believe a standard mask is going to have much of its intended purpose left because of a variety reasons after approximately 30 minutes of constant wear.  I've made it abundantly clear that masks contain sputum and saliva that could contain the virus.  Nowhere have I postulated strange government control theories, excess CO2 inhalation or low oxygen levels in mask wearers.  In fact I have advocated that people should wear masks, even if they doubt the effectiveness, out of a spirit of selflessness.  You must have me confused with someone else.  So much for the kindler, gentler Ding Dong.

• Like 2

Orion appears to be full throttle from the first drop to the end of the ride and I cannot wait to get out there to ride it at some point, hopefully soon.

I've been on Millennium Force, Intimidator 305, and Fury 325 and they did not disappoint. Orion looks to be no different based on the POV. 

• Like 7

I'm not going to outright rank Orion since I haven't ridden it (and won't for a while), but I think it'll be at least top 10 or even top 5 material for me. 

I've also got SV at #1 for steel coasters with Nitro and Magnum right behind.   

• Like 3

2 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

So.... why are they rollbacks bouncing now when they didn’t before?  Is this a maintenance or design issue?   @DonHelbig obviously agrees, maybe he can answer.

I might be able to clarify this (or at least, I'll try)...

The "rattling" that you hear is not the same as the occasional vibrations/shuffling you feel on Diamondback.

The sounds that it makes at the bottom of its drops are the ARB's (or, "chain dogs") bouncing up on the chassis of the train. However, that sound is not unique to Diamondback. It is my understanding that every sit-down B&M can exhibit these noises to some extent, but they are especially pronounced on their hypers with 16 x 2 trains.

At about 1:04 you'll find Behemoth sounding very similiar to DB

Similar story for Intimidator, at 1:54...

The ARBs bouncing are also not all that contingent on how new the ride is. Here is some footage from 2009 where you'll find DB making virtually the same sounds as it does now:

Source: Former member thedevariouseffect had a very thorough explanation of this phenomenon back in 2014. There's a lot of good info contained in here, and I'd say he was fairly knowledgeable as he had many years in ride op experience. Definitely a great read, and would recommend to anyone wanting to learn more:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BeastForever said:

I might be able to clarify this (or at least, I'll try)...

The "rattling" that you hear is not the same as the occasional vibrations/shuffling you feel on Diamondback.

The sounds that it makes at the bottom of its drops are the ARB's (or, "chain dogs") bouncing up on the chassis of the train. However, that sound is not unique to Diamondback. It is my understanding that every sit-down B&M can exhibit these noises to some extent, but they are especially pronounced on their hypers with 16 x 2 trains.

At about 1:04 you'll find Behemoth sounding very similiar to DB

Similar story for Intimidator, at 1:54...

The ARBs bouncing are also not all that contingent on how new the ride is. Here is some footage from 2009 where you'll find DB making virtually the same sounds as it does now:

Source: Former member thedevariouseffect had a very thorough explanation of this phenomenon back in 2014. There's a lot of good info contained in here, and I'd say he was fairly knowledgeable as he had many years in ride op experience. Definitely a great read, and would recommend to anyone wanting to learn more:

Nothing beats this sound. 

• Like 2