Orion Construction Photos

IndyGuy4KI

I am really enjoying these photos.  Crisp, sharp, nice sense of perspective.  Keep these coming!

The recent set of pics confirm the trim on the large airtime hill.  Looking back at the last three B&M megas in the US/Canada, they all have retractable magnetic trims. 

The trims on Leviathan aren't really an issue at all.  You're more likely to have the first trim on the large airtime hill activate than the second trim on the last airtime hill.  Even then, it doesn't detract at all from the ride experience.

The trim on Fury's hill is more variable.  Early in the day - or on cooler days - the trim may not activate at all.  Later in the day - or on warmer days - it definitely will activate.  Generally, you'll know if you'll get trimmed if the turnaround provides a nice pop of airtime.  The stronger the airtime in the turnaround the stronger the trim will be when you reach the airtime hill.  Because of the speed at which you go over the hill you still get fantastic airtime over the hill regardless if it activates or not.  The trim is still noticeable, but it's really more of an inconvenience. 

The trim on Mako is the most variable of the three.  The odds of you getting trimmed are almost directly proportional as to how many people are on the train.  On trains that are half full or less odds are you won't get trimmed at all.  The resulting airtime on that hill is amazing when you don't get trimmed.  If the train is more than than half full then you'll likely get trimmed.  That trim is assertive and you can really feel it, especially in the front of the train.  It noticeably cuts down on the airtime, but interestingly enough it doesn't really affect the airtime on the next two hills.  The difference between a trimmed ride and an untrimmed ride is significant.

B&M puts trims on these sections of the rides to reduce the forces going into the next part of the ride, which is usually a turn with significant positive Gs.  It's really hard to know exactly how the trim on Orion reacts until we all get to ride it.  My initial guess is that because of the height of the hill and the positive Gs on the next part of the ride, the trim will probably fall between Fury and Mako - strong enough to be noticeable on warmer days, less so on cooler days or on trains with fewer riders.   

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, ohiocoasterfan said:

So how exactly does a trim brake work? Is it manually set to on? Is there a sensor before the trim that measures how fast you are going and then activates the trim?

I'm pretty sure there are gaps under the train shaped like trims, and the trims catch hold of the train and slow it down..

• Like 1

Just now, Beast Night Rider said:

Is it just me or does it look like the last support they put in is just a single pole? Maybe it’s the angle I can only see the one and it looks weird with the track attached to it.

You are right its a single support.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Maverick44 said:

Why does that support look lie kits not going to be tall enough lol I know it will be but just how it looks now lol

It’s not the peak, it is the other side of the peak.  Think of it like the lifthill where it spans the peak via the two supports. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Maverick44 said:

Awesome!!! KI kas now placed fog in front of the cams so we can't see whats going on! Dang them!

Driving around town this morning and stopped in to see if it’s any better on the ground. The sun just burst through the clouds but it’s at least 30 mins or so before I can see back there. 

• Like 2