Orion Construction Photos

IndyGuy4KI

29 minutes ago, Klabergian Empire said:

Dude, I've been watching this tweet war this whole time and its awesome.

Did WildGravity take all their tweets down??   I went to go see the "war" you mentioned, and there is NOTHING posted today from them about Orion? 

They DID post a YouTube video of the "fake" finale....

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

How do you know that was WCPO lol

I could see it. Funny thing is a security guard from the park drove up and asked about it saying "The park has a no fly zone". My only reply was "Well, he isnt with me" and the guard said that whoever was flying it was going to find out real soon. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Waltny said:

I could see it. Funny thing is a security guard from the park drove up and asked about it saying "The park has a no fly zone". My only reply was "Well, he isnt with me" and the guard said that whoever was flying it was going to find out real soon. 

Wait until they see the news story lol. Can't imagine the look on their faces lol

2 minutes ago, DeviousMrMatt said:

According to this thread from awhile ago, there are no such bans on flying over or around Kings Island, lol, funny thing is that WCPO is the reason for that thread also!

There is no such ban. I flew over the park all the time sometimes as low as 1000 feet. The only thing I ever was asked by the park during Cedar Fairs ownership was to not post certain construction photos during off season. Now as the photos were my property I decided to release the photos.

Otherwise, the park has made a move to ban drones. But the area above KI is open airspace.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Captain Nemo said:

There is no such ban. I flew over the park all the time sometimes as low as 1000 feet. The only thing I ever was asked by the park during Cedar Fairs ownership was to not post certain construction photos during off season. Now as the photos were my property I decided to release the photos.

Otherwise, the park has made a move to ban drones. But the area above KI is open airspace.

what happens if the drone is above the "airspace" that you are allowed to fly in?

Just now, CoastersRZ said:

I believe that WCPO is actually going to discontinue using Chopper 9 soon.  I read an article somewhere a couple weeks back.  They are going to go to Drone usage, which is presumably cheaper.

Presumably cheaper?  How about actually cheaper. ;) 

• Haha 2

Remember KI once had helicopter tours over the park as an upcharge attraction.  So there was no ban then.  Worth noting, the copter pad was located approximately where Firehawk and Orion's ques are (will be) located.

Here's some nostalgic photos for you - courtesy of yours truly - that show the construction of the pad, and an overview of area where Orion has been built.  Looks a bit different, wouldn't you say?

img001.jpg

img002.jpg

img003.jpg

img004.jpg

• Like 12

13 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

That was also when they were constructing SOB right?

Yes.  It was called (if memory serves me) "Flight Team Aerial Tours." You had the choice of different flights, which affected the per person cost.  It lasted - again, if memory serves me - 2-3 seasons.

3 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

Alright coaster construction timeline aficionados, how long was it between DB and/or Banshee finishing track work and their first test runs?

Diamondback was completed January 26, 2009, and started testing on February 26. Banshee was completed January 23, 2014, and started testing March 15.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, KIghostguy said:

Diamondback was completed January 26, 2009, and started testing on February 26. Banshee was completed January 23, 2014, and started testing March 15.

Woah Banshee took over double the time Diamondback did. Wonder why that was!?

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Ben43065 said:

If you go to 3:20 you’re able to get a decent ish view of the landing pad area. 

In that video, I noticed a crane sitting by SOB's Rose Bowl.  Was that part of the whole thing they were doing early on with the frequent patch jobs they were doing to it when it first opened?

1 hour ago, silver2005 said:

In that video, I noticed a crane sitting by SOB's Rose Bowl.  Was that part of the whole thing they were doing early on with the frequent patch jobs they were doing to it when it first opened?

The crane in the rose bowl was not there when it opened.  The crane in the final helix/lift area was (if I recall properly.)  SOB was delayed - by several weeks.  Those pictures were taken at the very start of the 2000 season before construction of SOB was complete.  SOB took its first “official” riders - PKI executives - on Easter 2000.  How do I know?  I was there :-)

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Shaggy said:

The crane in the rose bowl was not there when it opened.  The crane in the final helix/lift area was (if I recall properly.)  SOB was delayed - by like 6 or 7 weeks.  Those pictures were taken at the very start of the 2000 season before construction of SOB was complete.  SOB took its first riders - KI executives - on Easter Day April 23rd, 2000.  But it didn’t open until a month later.  How do I know?  I was there :-)

I was there, too.  I first rode it on the Gold Pass holder ERT night.  I was asking about the cranes in hindsight of its history.  I assume they were there for the patch jobs I read about from the 2006 forensics report after the accident that year.   I was 12 going on 13 when SOB opened, so I was a wee bit naive when it came to the bad parts of SOB at the time.  Just me piecing the puzzle pieces together.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

I was there, too.  I first rode it on the Gold Pass holder ERT night.  I was asking about the cranes in hindsight of its history.  I assume they were there for the patch jobs I read about from the 2006 forensics report after the accident that year.   I was 12 going on 13 when SOB opened, so I was a wee bit naive when it came to the bad parts of SOB at the time.  Just me piecing the puzzle pieces together.  

I don’t have any knowledge of the patch jobs done after the 2006 issues.  Truth be told, I was over SOB by then.  I guess they probably had to usher in a large crane for the loop removal etc - but not necessarily one of those large semi- permanent ones with the box type structure.

I thought you meant after it ran for media day (when I first rode) and they ripped out the curve leading up into the rose bowl.

BTW - for posterity - SOB never quite ran for the public as originally designed and built.  It’s a real shame because media day rides were far superior - albeit was too extreme for the GP.  I’ll never forget that experience.  Such a shame... doomed from the start. 

• Like 4