Jump to content
IndyGuy4KI

Orion Construction Photos

Recommended Posts

I guess I never truly realized how almost every turn is taken at a 90 degree Bank...this thing looks insane and I can't wait until it opens. I used to be one of those who was a little disappointed after hearing that it's the smallest giga coaster but after looking at the entire track layout for the last 30 minutes, I'm really excited. I figured this would be a good coaster but it may possibly make it into my top five...  

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

 

 

 

This ride will be incredibly fun, no doubt about it. Especially when it hauls on a hot summer day. What’s your top 5?
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thatbandguy8807 said:

I guess I never truly realized how almost every turn is taken at a 90 degree Bank...this thing looks insane and I can't wait until it opens. I used to be one of those who was a little disappointed after hearing that it's the smallest giga coaster but after looking at the entire track layout for the last 30 minutes, I'm really excited. I figured this would be a good coaster but it may possibly make it into my top five...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
 

And some people don’t realize it has The 9th tallest drop in the world...

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^And with Tower of Terror II being no longer (removed last fall), the drop moves to 8th tallest in the world.

Fourth tallest on a lift hill coaster.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isnt it 6th tallest coster with a ilft?  Fury, Levithan, Intimidator 305, Millennium Force and Steel Dragon 2000 are all taller.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Isnt it 6th tallest coster with a ilft?  Fury, Levithan, Intimidator 305, Millennium Force and Steel Dragon 2000 are all taller.

you bet!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, goettablitz said:

Isnt it 6th tallest coster with a ilft?  Fury, Levithan, Intimidator 305, Millennium Force and Steel Dragon 2000 are all taller.

Also he might have meant with a chain lift, because Intimidator 305 & Millennium Force use cable lifts instead of chain lifts. So that would make Orion the 4th tallest with a chain lift.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Also he might have meant with a chain lift, because Intimidator 305 & Millennium Force use cable lifts instead of chain lifts. So that would make Orion the 4th tallest with a chain lift.

and that ALSO makes sense, i thought they just meant anything with a lift hill regardless of if it was chain or not...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's an interesting article about Kings Island and Cedar Point with the challenges the parks will likely face if they open this year. Also, Dennis Speigel is interviewed in this.

https://www.cleveland.com/business/2020/04/cedar-point-other-parks-face-daunting-opening-day-challenges-during-coronavirus-pandemic.html?fbclid=IwAR21EG4mbYmv12itywZfVr2mLNGqTwHTtiu4veSg6hS5dg7RAhWGUSsl8YI

Edit: oops Wrong thread

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Here's an interesting article about Kings Island and Cedar Point with the challenges the parks will likely face if they open this year. Also, Dennis Speigel is interviewed in this.
https://www.cleveland.com/business/2020/04/cedar-point-other-parks-face-daunting-opening-day-challenges-during-coronavirus-pandemic.html?fbclid=IwAR21EG4mbYmv12itywZfVr2mLNGqTwHTtiu4veSg6hS5dg7RAhWGUSsl8YI
 

after may 1st, ohio will go into phase 1 of the state reopening, so late may or early june opening sounds about right...
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To clarify, I was referring to drop height, of which it will be the fourth tallest on a lift hill coaster, if were using the more accurate blueprint-specificied measurement of 300.9 ft. That makes it a hair bigger than Millennium and I305's drop of 300 ft (which as far as we know are 300.0 ft)

Therefore, 

Drop heights of lift hill coasters (including cable lifts):

1. Fury - 320 ft

2. Steel Dragon - 306.8

3. Leviathan - 306

4. Orion - 300.9

T-5th:  Millenium Force - 300

             Intimidator 305 - 300

 

For all coasters:

1. Kingda Ka - 418 ft

2. TTD - 400

3. Red Force - N/A but <400, and probably > 328 (Height is 367.3. The bottom of the drop looks to be about 20-25 ft from the ground)

4. Superman - 328.1

5. Fury - 320

6. Steel Dragon - 306.8

7. Leviathan - 306

8. Orion - 300.9

T-9th Millenium Force - 300

          Intimidator 305 - 300

 

 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So where does Orion rank as far as just North America? I'm talking tallest in North America too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, KIguy2004 said:

What is Orion's turnaround considered?

I’d say a reverse treble clef

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^I call it the felc elbert. :P  ("treble clef" backwards)

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, KIguy2004 said:

Has anything happened with Orion?

In what respect? The ride is pretty much finished and tested and just waiting for riders now.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
In what respect? The ride is pretty much finished and tested and just waiting for riders now.

well, almost done, they still have to get a little more queuing in... plus, they slowed down construction because, one, the virus, and two, because of the park opening date being delayed, they slowed down construction so whatever warranty they have on it won’t be maxed out when it’s not even operating...
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Marc3E said:


well, almost done, they still have to get a little more queuing in... plus, they slowed down construction because, one, the virus, and two, because of the park opening date being delayed, they slowed down construction so whatever warranty they have on it won’t be maxed out when it’s not even operating...

Indeed, but an unfinished queue won't affect the mechanics of the roller coaster. It's "pretty much" finished. Just some paperwork at this point.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Indeed, but an unfinished queue won't affect the mechanics of the roller coaster. It's "pretty much" finished. Just some paperwork at this point.

indeed but since there’s still “construction” going on, its warranty period hasn’t started... welcome to complication land...
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Marc3E said:


indeed but since there’s still “construction” going on, its warranty period hasn’t started... welcome to complication land...

That extra construction probably has nothing to do with Orion's "complete" date. I have no idea how it works in the amusement park world, but in alot of medical devices they will use a shipped or in service date, or some that need more construction like CT, MR Linear Accelerators they get commissioned by a governing body(physics) who signs off and it may be before the rest of the vault or suite is completed. Im willing to guess that the "commissioning" date is the the time that all safety cycles are completed and B&M along with the State Ag rep will be on hand to say its good to go(for the coaster as a whole, but not the individual modules). Im sure they try to do that as close as possible to opening day and Im sure that is what is causing the testing to stop. 

Anyhow, what kind of warranty to you think a roller coasters gets ? I would think there are multiple and its through the each of the multiple vendors with various signoffs. I doubt that Kings Island says "Everyone be here at 0500 on 2 May and we will work through this with each of you" 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Waltny said:

That extra construction probably has nothing to do with Orion's "complete" date. I have no idea how it works in the amusement park world, but in alot of medical devices they will use a shipped or in service date, or some that need more construction like CT, MR Linear Accelerators they get commissioned by a governing body(physics) who signs off and it may be before the rest of the vault or suite is completed. Im willing to guess that the "commissioning" date is the the time that all safety cycles are completed and B&M along with the State Ag rep will be on hand to say its good to go(for the coaster as a whole, but not the individual modules). Im sure they try to do that as close as possible to opening day and Im sure that is what is causing the testing to stop. 

Anyhow, what kind of warranty to you think a roller coasters gets ? I would think there are multiple and its through the each of the multiple vendors with various signoffs. I doubt that Kings Island says "Everyone be here at 0500 on 2 May and we will work through this with each of you" 

IIRC, while talking to someone in maintenance last season, they mentioned how there were some things that they wanted to adjust with mystic, but they had to wait until after something like a contract was up in order to make modifications to the ride. I believe it was along the lines of two or three years. Of course this could all be incorrect, but just thought I would weigh in. Also, if this was a thing, who's to say it has anything to do with the "warranty" that a park might have on a ride or parts. 

If anyone else has a more definitive answer, I'd be eager to hear!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, collin.klopfstein said:

Is a marquee a sign? If so, will it be painted onto the entrance building or separate?

Yes, I was referring to the ride ID sign. Cedar Fair and Kings Island have been on point recently with ride ID signs, so i hope they’re not painting it on! 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
That extra construction probably has nothing to do with Orion's "complete" date. I have no idea how it works in the amusement park world, but in alot of medical devices they will use a shipped or in service date, or some that need more construction like CT, MR Linear Accelerators they get commissioned by a governing body(physics) who signs off and it may be before the rest of the vault or suite is completed. Im willing to guess that the "commissioning" date is the the time that all safety cycles are completed and B&M along with the State Ag rep will be on hand to say its good to go(for the coaster as a whole, but not the individual modules). Im sure they try to do that as close as possible to opening day and Im sure that is what is causing the testing to stop. 
Anyhow, what kind of warranty to you think a roller coasters gets ? I would think there are multiple and its through the each of the multiple vendors with various signoffs. I doubt that Kings Island says "Everyone be here at 0500 on 2 May and we will work through this with each of you" 

yeah i’d have to agree with you on the warranty part...
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Gplez90 said:

Yes, I was referring to the ride ID sign. Cedar Fair and Kings Island have been on point recently with ride ID signs, so i hope they’re not painting it on! 

Yeah I hope they don’t either, but in the trailer it shows it painted on but from what we’ve seen from drone shots, things change, and I hope we actually get a good entrance sign 

7E2C0EB2-0B6F-474B-8EC6-0944AF8DB11C.jpeg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, collin.klopfstein said:

Yeah I hope they don’t either, but in the trailer it shows it painted on but from what we’ve seen from drone shots, things change, and I hope we actually get a good entrance sign 

7E2C0EB2-0B6F-474B-8EC6-0944AF8DB11C.jpeg

The teasers are seldom accurate when it comes to the fine details. It would be a part of that building, but still be an actual sign instead of a painting. Also, even if it is painted on in the animation, the planning and design team can and does switch things up as the ride is being built, and when final touches are being added. 
 

Plus, personally, I believe KI would want a nice, big, beautiful sign to accompany the largest investment in the park’s history :)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The teasers are seldom accurate when it comes to the fine details. It would be a part of that building, but still be an actual sign instead of a painting. Also, even if it is painted on in the animation, the planning and design team can and does switch things up as the ride is being built, and when final touches are being added. 
 
Plus, personally, I believe KI would want a nice, big, beautiful sign to accompany the largest investment in the park’s history

definitely, remember Banshee? lol


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gplez90 said:

New post from Heightened Imagery on IG. The sight looks nearly complete. No sign of the marquee yet, which will probably be installed by KI’s team. I’m really excited to see how this area is going to look at night!! 

It honestly looks like construction has stalled if you look at Heightened_Imagery’s update from a week ago. It does not look like much has changed. Many theming props, the lockers, and the landscaping all look like they have not made much progress recently. I hope construction resumes soon, but I understand that the health of the workers is more important. I also hope they repave the pathway leading underneath The Racer. It looks like it’s in really bad shape.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
It honestly looks like construction has stalled if you look at Heightened_Imagery’s update from a week ago. It does not look like much has changed. Many theming props, the lockers, and the landscaping all look like they have not made much progress recently. I hope construction resumes soon, but I understand that the health of the workers is more important. I also hope they repave the pathway leading underneath The Racer. It looks like it’s in really bad shape.

If you look at the most recent drone footage there still are some workers around the area. However they do seem to be going at a slower pace which doesn’t surprise me at all.
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IIRC, while talking to someone in maintenance last season, they mentioned how there were some things that they wanted to adjust with mystic, but they had to wait until after something like a contract was up in order to make modifications to the ride. I believe it was along the lines of two or three years. Of course this could all be incorrect, but just thought I would weigh in. Also, if this was a thing, who's to say it has anything to do with the "warranty" that a park might have on a ride or parts. 
If anyone else has a more definitive answer, I'd be eager to hear!

it’s just speculation, we don’t have any definitive answers...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I keep seeing this picture on Twitter and immediately think it’s Orion but it’s always Fury 325 lol 

56AC870D-7C60-496D-9F67-F9DEC9D569C1.jpeg

  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...