Orion Construction Photos

IndyGuy4KI

2 hours ago, rlentless said:

Assuming they will start laying track for the Station and Transfer . . how many days has it been for the those footers to cure?  I believe someone said there is a 28-day time to cure???  Don't remember but curious.

Just from the updates here footers started early July. 28 days is when concrete reaches it's maximum strength in general.  They also have periodic concrete test samples that have to be analyzed, I don't know the turn around time for feedback on them would be. I'd assume that they wouldn't set a piece until that sections samples have been analyzed. 

22 hours ago, FlyMartyFly said:

Does anyone know about how many pieces of track this coaster is made of? Don’t recall any guesstimates!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banshee was exactly 100 pieces of track at 4124 feet in length. At 5,321 feet of track, Orion will be around 129 or 130 track pieces. To (almost) quote one of my favorite movies:

100 over 4124 equals x over 5321 and then you cross-multiply and get the value of X.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Since KI made the decision (after tons of customer feedback to have bathroom facilities) not to include bathrooms in the new Area 72, I wonder if KI may come up with a bathroom pass lanyard like Disney did for Avatar.   Otherwise there may be a few wet seats on the train after people are waiting 2-3 hours to ride Orion.

https://wdwnt.com/2019/03/new-pass-will-let-you-leave-re-enter-avatar-flight-of-passage-queue/

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Klabergian Empire said:

So, you're saying that Area 72 bathrooms would be so popular they could consider it an attraction at the park??? lmao

I mean, hey if it has the good toilet paper and central air...

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, TombRaiderFTW said:

...High school algebra is one of your favorite movies? ;)

Well, I was referencing Mean Girls. I realize that it is basically high school algebra, I just tried to use the correct verbiage to match the film as closely as possible.

And on that note...

46 minutes ago, sixohdieselrage said:

@IndyGuy4KI We are discussing construction of the hopeful Area 72 bathrooms, so, we are on topic. :D

Stop trying to make Area 72 restrooms happen. It's not going to happen.

You need plumbing and sanitary sewer access in that area to install a restroom, which it doesn't have and would actually be much more expensive to add than you might think. It's not that the park couldn't afford it, just that it's not a big enough pain point for guests that they could realistically expect a decent ROI. Adding restrooms is only really worthwhile if the lack of them is causing people to not ride the rides in Area 72, which is definitely not the case due to X-Base's former nickname of Line Base.

• Like 1

(You need plumbing and sanitary sewer access in that area to install a restroom, which it doesn't have and would actually be much more expensive to add than you might think. It's not that the park couldn't afford it, just that it's not a big enough pain point for guests that they could realistically expect a decent ROI)

How do you get ROI on a bathroom...?
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, fyrfyter said:

How do you get ROI on a bathroom...?

I expanded my post after you replied, but the ROI could only really exist if the lack of restrooms is causing people to not go to that area and lowering the ridership of the rides in that area. The WindSeeker and Adventure Express restrooms are a walk, but not bad enough to keep people out of the area.

Now imagine a hypothetical world where the WindSeeker restrooms were the only ones in the park. In this extreme example, I could definitely see people avoiding Rivertown or Action Zone and adding restrooms in those areas would probably yield an ROI. But the closest restrooms to X-Base today aren't far enough away that anyone would avoid that area, so there's no good reason to add them.

35 minutes ago, homestar92 said:

Get your negativity out of here! Two restrooms are in Action Zone, two in Coney Mall (opposite ends). My point is, every area has their restrooms. And since they are renaming XBase to Area 72, along with a new ride, why not add them? 

Also, what is your source of the claim "It's not going to happen"?

• Like 3

Get your negativity out of here! Two restrooms are in Action Zone, two in Coney Mall (opposite ends). My point is, every area has their restrooms. And since they are renaming XBase to Area 72, along with a new ride, why not add them? 
I'll make a deal. You all get your Area 72 restrooms and I get Rivertown restrooms. Preferably in the vicinity of Potato Works. Or when they renovate The Crypt, put them in there.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, sixohdieselrage said:

I don't have a source other than the fact that there's absolutely nothing to suggest that we will. I don't think the park has added any restrooms since WaterWorks opened (maybe in Picnic Grove if anywhere) so they don't exactly have a history of installing new ones when the park expands. They aren't going to put restrooms in an area with two rides and other restrooms not terribly far away. Especially when that area has had two rides in it for well over a decade and restrooms have never yet been added.

Sure, it could happen if the area expands and a bunch more rides are added. But I can say with probably 90% confidence that it won't happen in 2020 or even 2021.

8 minutes ago, BeeastFarmer said:

I'll make a deal. You all get your Area 72 restrooms and I get Rivertown restrooms. Preferably in the vicinity of Potato Works. Or when they renovate The Crypt, put them in there.

There are restrooms inside of Brewhouse. That's pretty close to Potato Works. And unlike most of the restrooms in the park, they run the AC in there!

• Like 1

There are restrooms inside of Brewhouse. That's pretty close to Potato Works. And unlike most of the restrooms in the park, they run the AC in there!
Yes, but those close with the park. My need for balance is challenged by the lack of a restroom on the Eastern end of Rivertown. The one near the Junkyard Coaster doesn't count because it's staggered.

• Like 1

If I remember correctly, I think there is a restroom already in The Crypt bathroom, one stall.

Construction seems to be moving along, crazy to have attractions at Six Flags opening mid season, rather than when the park opens.  Don't see this being a problem at KI.

• Like 1

Not sure if it was one of @IndyGuy4KI “ask the park” threads or somewhere else but last year (before the Firehawk announcement) Chad, I believe, said he walked from X-Base to the Coney restrooms and they were each under two minutes and saw no need for restrooms back there.  

Two minutes isn’t bad except if you have been waiting in line for 2-3 hours for a ride. This can be a real problem for children and those of us a bit older.  But as I have already stated, NASA has us covered for that.  :D

• Like 3

On 8/21/2019 at 7:17 PM, FlyMartyFly said:

Does anyone know about how many pieces of track this coaster is made of? Don’t recall any guesstimates!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Late on this topic, but per the blueprints scanned and uploaded by @Bansheeback, there are 122 "normal" track pieces, 16 lift and drop structure, 9 brakes and station, and 1 for the transfer. That adds up to 148 pieces of track.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BeeastFarmer said:

I’m fairly certain there is a restroom across from the rivertown larosa’s 

35 minutes ago, AdventureExpress35 said:

I’m fairly certain there is a restroom across from the rivertown larosa’s 

30 minutes ago, Maverick44 said:

To the left of Larosas across the path!

6 minutes ago, JonahWilliamson said:

That walkway behind backlot where the three point is, is that considered Coney Mall or River Town. 

Yes, by the Junkyard coaster.  But it is not coherent with the design of the other leaves of the clover.  I've considered that area of the park no man's land because it could be either Rivertown, International Street or the area formerly known as Coney Mall.  If you want to get very technical, the only restroom in Rivertown is inside the Brewhouse because the freestanding restroom near Diamondback seems to be a part of Planet Snoopy.

• Like 2