Most Important Coaster in PKI's History

Darren Mullins

What do you think is the most important coaster in PKI's long history? I am not asking what your favorite is. I am asking you which ride is the one that means the most. I know many people will say The Beast, but my choice is The Racer. The building of The Racer renewed America's interest in coasters and was the first large theme park woodie. Most of the major coasters at PKI either held records or broke new ground in the amusement park industry when they opened.

While I agree with you, Darren, on the fact that The Racer started the new coaster interest, this isn't really a big part of PKI history. This is more important to the history of the rollercoaster, than it is PKI's. If you understand what I'm trying to say... smile.gif

In my opinion, The Beast is the coaster that PKI on the maps, in the worldly scale. From the time The Beast was built, PKI has been known as a world class amusement park. This is the one of the big reasons people know of and want to come to PKI.

I have to agree with pyrocoasterkid on that one. The Racers really meant more for the rebirth of the current coaster revolution whereas The Beast was the one that put them on the map.

Next to The Beast, I would have to say The Vortex. Nothing else has drawn the crowds and lines like The Beast and Vortex did. Yes, there were long lines for FOF when it first opened, but nothing like those two. You could really throw in the King Kobra as it had very long lines and was one of the first stand-ups. Not to mention The Bat ushering in a new age of coasters that hung below the track which had never been done before.

I don't know PKI Homey, when FOF opened, there were some seriously long lines.

But anyway, almost every new coaster at PKI meant something to the industry and the coasters were usually record holders for something, and some still are.

As stated before, any coaster idiot knows that without Racer, today's world's tallest coaster would probably be the size of Gemini.

Gemini is one hell of a coaster.

Beast has to be the answer for this. Sure Racer is there, but Beast put PKI on the map (not just USA, but the World). When people say PKI they don't say Racers, they say Beast. No doubt about that one.

Beast has to be the answer for this. Sure Racer is there, but Beast put PKI on the map (not just USA, but the World). When people say PKI they don't say Racers, they say Beast. No doubt about that one.

To add to that in slight modification, I'd say that Racer put coasters back into the main thrill in amusement parks, and yes, The Beast did put King's Island on the world map.

You know if you think about it all coasters in Kings Islands history are very important. The Racer,started off the coaster age. The Beast well enough said right there. The Bat first suspanded coaster. i mean if you were to say a coasters name from Kings Island chances are its linked someway to the evolution of coasters in a major way.

Wow! This poll turned out exactly like I thought it would-a tie between Beast and Racer(so far). The Beast will always be the greatest ride in the history of PKI, but my own opinion is that without the success of The Racer, the focus on new rides at the park would have turned away from coasters and the skyline at PKI today would be very different. The park could have turned out to be an attraction park like the Orlando theme parks if The Racer hadn't caught attention.

I think Racer is more important than beast, because Racer if you ever got stuck down at Beast Greeter brought back the craze for wooden roller coasters. I think it has a lot more history in the ride and it has influenced the growth of Kings Island and the Old Coney area.