Kings Dominion 2020

1 hour ago, goettablitz said:

LOL, I dunno what is replacing the other large attraction that met its untimely demise recently?

I honestly think they'll play if safe and get something reliable like a B&M coaster, which takes time to plan. With BGW not too far away there's not much left from B&M to choose from so a wing coaster would be the most likely choice in my opinion. 

• Like 1

Kings Dominion is missing a mat racer slide.  It's the only slide complex I can think of Cedar Fair adding in recent memory other than the drop slides which KD already has.  http://newsplusnotes.blogspot.com/ has a theory that they'll eventually move all of the waterpark to the other side of Racer 75.  That makes sense to me as the 2 slide towers left on the other side are originals.  Interestingly, KI has the same slides which are also originals.  However, I hope they can move the Proslide tube ride or replace it with the modern version https://www.proslide.com/rides/pipeline/.  It's a great starter water slide for kids and still lots of fun.  The old body slides can go.  Water coasters don't seem to be Cedar Fair's thing. 

I think this is a sign that Volcano's removal truly was a last minute decision as they clearly had other 2020 plans on the books.

There's no way the wave pool site would be combined with the Volcano site.  However, the old waterpark site could be.  Is it conceivable that Cedar Fair would add a B&M Hyper in the same park as I305? It could go right over top of Backlot like Behemoth does.

Edit: To further this thought, they could move the park entrance of the waterpark to between Apple Zapple and Twisted Timbers.  Add a parking lot behind TT and you're all set.  I'm sure the long walk from the parking lot to the waterpark is a huge deterrent for people.  It would be for me.  Trips to the waterpark with kids requires a lot of stuff.

• Like 2

I do think a B&M Hyper would be a fine addition to the park considering B&M hypers are probably the biggest crowd pleasers ever created....  personally a hyper would be what I’m rooting for but as many like to point out Apollo’s chariot is in the same state so who knows.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/6/2019 at 10:15 AM, befat said:

I'm hoping someone more familiar with Kings Dominion knows, what is all of this in red?  Old Lion Country Safari?  I'm assuming the park doesn't own the area in yellow?

Yes I believe you are correct on both accounts. Also I'm pretty sure KD does not own the land behind Twisted Timbers. However they do own both the large chunk of land by the water park and a chunk of land behind Grizzly where DA used to be. Since KD already has another wave pool, I highly doubt that they're going to "Upgrade" or renovate the extra one thats been SBNO, a partial expansion with two or three new water slides is much more likely for next year, nothing crazy expensive, followed by their next coaster in 2021.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/6/2019 at 10:15 AM, befat said:

I'm hoping someone more familiar with Kings Dominion knows, what is all of this in red?  Old Lion Country Safari?  I'm assuming the park doesn't own the area in yellow?

Picture1.jpg

I grew up going to KD as a kid/teen.  The safari, as I recall, did not extend into the red.  Much like KI, it was located to the east of the park.  See the area in blue below...

KD Safari.png

3 hours ago, Shaggy said:

I grew up going to KD as a kid/teen.  The safari, as I recall, did not extend into the red.  Much like KI, it was located to the east of the park.  See the area in blue below...

KD Safari.png

I think some of the red is look country safari, but as you said it also goes into the blue area you circled. Kings dominion does own the area in red.

I for one am very happy that they're expanding the water park, and on top of that they're adding a new restaurant!

It's sad because I've already seen so many people complaining that KD isn't getting a new coaster like BGW is. Like do people not see the construction site where Volcano used to be?

• Haha 1

The tiny wave pool looks like fun for little ones! It's interesting that they are adding a second play structure.  I wonder if the older one will return for 2020.  I'm surprised they aren't putting in a mat racer slide.

I like how Cedar Fair is getting creative with new waterpark additions.  The little wave pool here and the cliff jumping attraction at Canada's Wonderland are definitely unique but simple concepts at the same time.

• Like 1

The water park addition looks nice.  I do expect the next coaster to come in 2021 as I think the park has lost so many coasters over the last decade or so (Volcano, Hypersonic, and Shockwave) that they need to add something at least.  I do think a B&M wing is the most likely as it is something that BGW doesn't have and it would be an efficient and popular attraction for the park. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

The waterpark addition is finished! https://www.kingsdominion.com/blog/2020/coconut-shores-construction-update-october

It's interesting to see how these attractions were built on top of the old wave pool, vs a total demo and new build.

Also, goes without saying, it's crazy that back in August of 2019, we couldn't have imagined that Kings Dominion wouldn't open at all in 2020.

• Like 1