No Trams

MaestroJr

Hi yall, just a quick question, while at Kings Island last week, my mom asked me why there is no longer trams that take you to and from the park, as most theme parks have these for simple convenience. I told her I didnt know and they havent been around for quite a while now, so does anyone know why KI did away with these. 

In hindsight I’m surprised the park ever had trams in the first place...waiting for one to come by took longer than simply walking to the park. (Yes, I’m old enough to remember them in their prime.)

if you think about how much you are walking around in the park all day, the walk to and from your car is nothing!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, standbyme said:

In hindsight I’m surprised the park ever had trams in the first place...waiting for one to come by took longer than simply walking to the park. (Yes, I’m old enough to remember them in their prime.)

if you think about how much you are walking around in the park all day, the walk to and from your car is nothing!

That is, unless you can't find your car and are searching the lot for 15 minutes most visits! :lol:

(This has been me countless times, though I have gotten a bit better on remembering where I parked)

Also, I do remember riding the trams to the car and it was a cool concept.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, standbyme said:

That’s what I always told my wife. I don’t think the trams for KI really made sense as the parking isn’t that long. Dollywood on the other needs to have trans. 

• Like 1

"Most parks"???

I don't think any Cedar Fair parks have trams.
Dollywood and Disney do...

I agree it doesn't really make sense based on the layout of the parking lot in relation to the entrance gates... And if you had to wait a long time for the tram it probably became more of a complaint from guests than seen as a perk, which would make sense to eliminate it.

Sort of related to the ability to get to your car faster...
I really think they should add another train stop depot just passed the Soak City stop...
Then when Soak City closes (or is closed on the off-season) the train would use that stop instead of the Soak City one... And it could have an entrance/exit into the park which would more people to "park close" to an entrance (and not have an issue once Soak City closes).

Most of the other large Cedar Fair parks have multiple entrance/exit gates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KI did have trams back in the day.  I believe the added insurance expense in our litigious world had a hand in their demise.

CP does have van shuttles that will take you from front of park to back of park, marina entrance, Lighthouse Point etc. 

Link to previous tram discussion: 

In 2002, there were trams and parking cost $8.  In 2019, there are no trams and parking costs $20.  :)  

I believe it was in 2014 that the long sidewalk from the entrance was updated to be bigger and go all the way to the Kings Island sign.  This was a big improvement in my opinion, as it made it much safer to walk to the entrance.  I believe this covers a portion of where the tram used to run.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, MDMC01 said:

That is, unless you can't find your car and are searching the lot for 15 minutes most visits! :lol:

(This has been me countless times, though I have gotten a bit better on remembering where I parked)

Also, I do remember riding the trams to the car and it was a cool concept.

I have some really wonderful news for you! The Cedar Fair apps (there's one for each park if I'm not mistaken) under the "Me" tab has a place to "Mark your parking spot"

Screenshot_20190708-213836.png

• Like 1

Or just park at the same general place every time you go. ;-)

This is me. I aim for the row where the big yellow “Exit” sign is (I believe row 35?), South of the big KI sign.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DubVLegend said:

I have some really wonderful news for you! The Cedar Fair apps (there's one for each park if I'm not mistaken) under the "Me" tab has a place to "Mark your parking spot"

You can also do that in Google Maps. Open the app, tap on the blue dot indicating your location and there's an option to save your parking. I typically just make a note (mentally and/or digitally) of the row I'm in though.

• Like 1

I appreciate the suggestions- I am familiar with that option to mark your parking spot on the KI app, however, I didn't know there was such a thing on Google Maps. And yes, I too write down where I parked... it makes it way easier, but it's not foolproof (like last time where I was a few rows over from where I thought I was (I was in one of the rows without a marker at the end and I misjudged which row I was in).

• Like 1

My wife usually snaps a pic of our parking row on her phone. I remember back in the day when we would stay at the KI Inn, the bus would drop you off right beside the front gate. At one time they had a double decker bus. 

I wish KI had its own hotel like CP built right on the property where you could walk 100 yards and be in the park.

10 hours ago, Enchanted Voyage Lover said:

I wish KI had its own hotel like CP built right on the property where you could walk 100 yards and be in the park.

I remember going to Kings Island the first season after Great Wolf Lodge opened.  There was no doubt in my mind that there would be a special entrance into the park if you stayed at Great Wolf.  I had it pictured near Top Gun (now The Bat).  I was completely shocked to find that there wasn't one!  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

How exactly did the trams work in our parking lot? 

Here's a video from 1980 showing the trams. I'm not sure how much changed in the 20-something years between when this was shot and when they were discontinued, but it should give you a good idea.

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, KIfan73 said:

I remember going to Kings Island the first season after Great Wolf Lodge opened.  There was no doubt in my mind that there would be a special entrance into the park if you stayed at Great Wolf.  I had it pictured near Top Gun (now The Bat).  I was completely shocked to find that there wasn't one!  

Great Wolf Lodge is not a resort under KI or Cedar Fair so I don't think the park would go out of its way to build an enterance for a resort they don't even own.

1 hour ago, SonofBaconator said:

Great Wolf Lodge is not a resort under KI or Cedar Fair so I don't think the park would go out of its way to build an enterance for a resort they don't even own.

Yeah, I know that now.  At the time, I had zero knowledge of the business behind it.