40 Things you may not know about The Beast

BoddaH1994

I knew most of them, but I think that is mostly because the park seems to write some sort of social media post about The Beast every other week.  This has been the case not just this year either.  

Maybe we should start our own additional list of Beast facts.

41. When it opened, The Beast trains had "buzz bars" as restraints, and not the individual lap bars and uncomfortable seat dividers it has today.

42. The Beast used to operate during the nightly fireworks at park close.  This changed sometime in the 2000s and now the ride closes and re-opens after a brief re-inspection.  

43. The Beast holds the world record for least amount of air time on a wooden coaster.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Pagoda Gift Shop said:

I knew most of them, but I think that is mostly because the park seems to write some sort of social media post about The Beast every other week.  This has been the case not just this year either.  

Maybe we should start our own additional list of Beast facts.

41. When it opened, The Beast trains had "buzz bars" as restraints, and not the individual lap bars and uncomfortable seat dividers it has today.

42. The Beast used to operate during the nightly fireworks at park close.  This changed sometime in the 2000s and now the ride closes and re-opens after a brief re-inspection.  

43. The Beast holds the world record for least amount of air time on a wooden coaster.   

#43 made me LOL

- Used to have 4 bench cars, with 5 cars for a total of 40 riders per train.

- Originally was designed to run with four trains, with the brake shed acting as an MCBR if needed (with kicker wheels on the side)

- And contrary to some belief, to put this age-old myth to rest once and for all (or at least, I can try)...

...No. The ride does not run any appreciable amount slower than it has since Opening Day 1979. The method of braking has changed(from skids to magnetic), but the degree to which it is braked has not. If those trims that everyone loves to complain about were not there, the ride would have torn itself apart years ago, and probably not exist today. 

Dont take my word for it. Ask Mr. Spiegel and the select group of higher-ups who rode it in its fully unchecked form.

• Like 6

• 8 months later...