Weird memory -- floating cars

cdubbs727

So, the discussion about trams earlier got me thinking about a really weird memory I had from KI from probably about 25 years ago or so. I remember we were at the park on a day where it was particularly rainy; we're talking downpours, and I think a waterspout was actually spotted at Water Works. We came out that afternoon to leave the park and go get some dinner, and the parking lot was flooded. It was so flooded close to the park, in fact, that several cars were actually floating. Does anyone else ever remember this happening? (Not that day, but I assume if it happened then it might have been a common occurrence). My grandpa used to have video of it, but I'm sure it was lost to time. 

Any other weird KI memories you all have? 

30 minutes ago, fryoj said:

The amount of water needed to flood the parking lot to a level high enough to float a car would be pretty astronomical. I'd think the whole park would have been flooded and shut down. 

It absolutely happened in areas of the parking lot.  I remember it vividly.  Even mentioned in a thread years back.  It wouldn't let me link it, but search for "Blocked Off Section Of Parking Lot?" and the thread will come up.

Here is the floodplain map showing the impacted area (source link in image).  For years a portion of the parking lot that had the cars most damaged was blocked off with white striping, but people still parked in it thinking someone left them a great parking spot...

A lot of people think the parking lot is flat, but based on elevation a car can be submerged in water in a few locations and the rest of the parking lot be dry...which shows why the media always says do not drive thru standing water because it may seem flat to you but isn't...

floodplain.gif

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

It absolutely happened in areas of the parking lot.  I remember it vividly.  Even mentioned in a thread years back.  It wouldn't let me link it, but search for "Blocked Off Section Of Parking Lot?" and the thread will come up.

Here is the floodplain map showing the impacted area (source link in image).  For years a portion of the parking lot that had the cars most damaged was blocked off with white striping, but people still parked in it thinking someone left them a great parking spot...

A lot of people think the parking lot is flat, but based on elevation a car can be submerged in water in a few locations and the rest of the parking lot be dry...which shows why the media always says do not drive thru standing water because it may seem flat to you but isn't...

floodplain.gif

Truth.  I've seen cars with water up to their doors in very heavy downpours.  The drainage can get backed up which allows the parking lot to flood a little in the lower spots shown.

1 hour ago, pianoman said:

Waterspouts form over large bodies of water, not at water parks lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its possible my brain is mis-remembering what the news called it; it was a funnel cloud that never touched down. But it definitely hit Water Works 20-25 years ago, blew the tenting off the top of one of the slides. 

1 hour ago, fryoj said:

The amount of water needed to flood the parking lot to a level high enough to float a car would be pretty astronomical. I'd think the whole park would have been flooded and shut down. 

It's not like they were floating away. But they were definitely off the ground. 

I believe it. Someone I know irl was there this spring that the lot was flooded in places up to people’s doors. I have a pic I’ll post when I get home 

ETA

This was from June THIS year. If you park near a storm drain and it gets blocked during a downpour, your car could very well float. Kinda cool memory but sucks for the people who owned those cars. 

IMG_7099.JPG