Holiday World 2020

I agree with the big cat theme it seems to fit more for the waterpark than a new ride. Can't think of a big cat that would fit in well for a theme to a holiday but it would go in well with a lot of the other names for Splashin' Safari. Though I hope they start adding to the ride side again soon. Haven't really had any big additions since Thunderbird. This would make 6 years since Thunderbird was added for a major addition in rides. We got a Calypso style ride a couple years ago but that is a pretty minor addition.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DiamondBanshee said:

I feel like an RMC raptor would be a perfect fit (as do most other people). I’d hope if they do go that route it isn’t a clone of Railblazer and Wonder Woman. I wouldn’t complain if it was a clone of them though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That would be fun. I could see that. Or even a Premiere Rides Skyrocket 3 like Tigris.

• Like 1

Although it would be fun to see this new tease end up being another coaster install, I believe it to be a water park addition.

Word on the street has, for a few years, been that Holiday bit off more than they could chew financially with the B&M install.  Because of that, they've scaled back to installs more conducive to the parks bread and butter - Splashin Safari.

Didn't they just announce they were retiring a 30-year-old original SS dump-bucket water attraction for future expansion?

• Like 2

dont recall them specifying it was for expansion, but as you said SS is what they are really known for so it's not a spot that would stay empty. 

I wouldn't be surprised if this new slide(s) will  be drop tube slides. They are a very major water park nad that is one of the main type of rides that they don't currently have.

• Like 1

Honest question here: how well does Holiday World do? Obviously they do well enough, but that's surprising to me.

With Kentucky Kingdom resurfacing and Kings Island only a few hours away, it seems odd that people are willing to go to the middle of Nowhere, Indiana for the park. And every time I've gone to Holiday World, attendance seems to be pretty low. On top of all this, you pay what, $45 to enter? This gives you access to the dry and water park, as well as free parking and soft drinks.

If anyone has an explanation, or can tell me I'm misguided, please let me know.

I want their financials...

• Like 1

^They are known for their waterpark mostly, and every time I’ve been there, while the dry park is fairly empty, the water park is packed. In addition, yes KK and KI are eastward, but I’m not sure of what parks are close westward besides Six Flags St. Louis. I would assume this is where most of their guests come from in general. That and around Louisville (if they don’t want to go to KK).

I don’t have anything to back this up; it’s just a theory of mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People I know in northern Indiana barely know Kentucky Kingdom even exists. But EVERYBODY knows Holiday World. Keep in mind KK is about 1.5 hours "closer" than HW due to I-65. Doesn't matter. Everybody knows Holiday World. My wife and two of my kids have been to HW. None of us been to KK.

Anecdotal information, I realize. But even just last week a semi-famous weatherman Chuck Lofton did a week-long series on places to travel in Indiana. One-day trips. One day he went to Holiday World. The park advertises very well in Indiana and word-of-mouth plus its Santa Claus, IN which even makes national news from time-to-time due to Old St. Nick. Kentucky Kingdom has commercials on the Indy stations as well, but it's not the same as when you have friends and family and the entire state promoting Holiday World to some degree.

https://www.theindychannel.com/news/local-news/holiday-worlds-splashin-safari-named-nations-best-water-park-fourth-best-amusement-park

• Like 1

Just for background on the waterpark rumors, Splashin' Safari's original playhouse structure is currently being removed, and the Laughs slide at Hyena Falls (including the stairs leading to it) was demolished prior to this season.

2 hours ago, IBEW_Sparky said:

Anyone looking for evidence to back up the sizable financial over-extension due to Thunderbird need look no further than their current definition of "food" and the current prices thereof, and compare it to just a few years ago.

There is still good food to be found at the park, but prices are up markedly even since last season. I'd recommend sticking to Plymouth Rock Cafe or The Alamo.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.owensborotimes.com/news/2019/08/holiday-world-announces-addition-of-worlds-first-launched-water-coaster/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

“With the addition of Cheetah Chase, Splashin’ Safari will now be the undisputed Water Coaster Capital of the world,” adds Eckert.

Its a new dueling launch water coaster from Proslide!

• Like 4

Looks like a really fun and nice addition to the water park.  Will definitely add some capacity, as the lines for their other two water coasters can be quite long.

I still have to wonder when they will do anything with the area that was once home to Pilgrim`s Plunge/Giraffica.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, CoastersRZ said:

Looks like a really fun and nice addition to the water park.  Will definitely add some capacity, as the lines for their other two water coasters can be quite long.

I still have to wonder when they will do anything with the area that was once home to Pilgrim`s Plunge/Giraffica.

Is there a good piece online that sums up what happened to that ride? I rode Pilgrim's Plunge on its media day. Hated it. Then just now learned it's gone. 

Giraffica never reopened following the Shoot the Rapids incident at Cedar Point. Its removal was quietly announced that off-season. https://www.holidayworld.com/holiblog/2014/04/17/wisdom-sir-isaac/

I'm really excited for Cheetah Chase next season. It looks like it will use ProSlide's newer RocketBlast water jet technology in place of the LIM propulsion on Mammoth and Wildebeest. Considering it will also introduce ProSlide's flying saucer elements and the first launch on a water coaster, it should be a really unique addition.

Wow- a 3rd water coaster, which will mean now there will be as many water coasters at Holiday World as there are woodies. I really like how this one is going to be about launches and dueling, it does look like it will be a great ride. It doesn't appear to have as many airtime hills as Wildebeest, or be as drenching as Mammoth is, but I imagine this was on purpose because Holiday World doesn't want to throw both of their existing water coasters under the bus: each one is going to do something different from the other two.

The 2020 season is already looking exciting for me, as 2 parks within day-trip distance (3 hour drive or less) are getting good-sized or larger new attractions next year. And there is still time for the other 2 (Indiana Beach and Kentucky Kingdom) to make new announcements as well.

Oh, also, I loved the announcement video with Wildebeests and a Mammoth walking around. :P