Does the Banshee rattle bother you?

ThrillKingsFitzy

I know I hear people complain about the rattle and the restraints.  Maybe its just my personal preferences; but I would have never complained without being asked about it.  I think Banshee is one of the best roller coasters in the world - the only ever invert that had a better moment of airtime was I think the blue dragon side of dueling dragons at Universal Orlando Islands of Adventure right after it's first drop ( I hope there is someone here who knows the reference).

• Like 2

I've never noticed a rattle on Banshee until the 2019 season. And, usually I'm not one to complain about a rattle. I've noticed one on Kumba, and that coaster is in my top five. But last year both a rattle and the vest restraints(which I'm not usually bothered by either) made both of the rides I got on the invert painful, which is a shame since Banshee is one of my favorite B&Ms. I'm hoping that I can get a better ride on it this season.    

On 6/29/2020 at 11:19 PM, ThrillKingsFitzy said:

Surprised this thread is still going. I was messing around with thread making and got too carried away. I’m looking back at this and cringing so hard lol

I think is kewl my dude!  You make good posts and I wanna ride Daimonbdack s9ooooooooo bid!!!!!

3 minutes ago, dbackdreams said:

What is dinn???

Wooden coaster company that was created by the designer of beast, probably the most unsuccessful wooden coaster manufacturer. Almost every single coaster they made is horrible or transformed into an RMC. An example of some of their coasters is Thunder Run (Kentucky Kingdom), Timberwolf (Worlds of Fun), Predator (Darien Lake), Wolverine Wildcat (Michigan’s Adventure), etc.

2 minutes ago, ThrillKingsFitzy said:

Wooden coaster company that was created by the designer of beast, probably the most unsuccessful wooden coaster manufacturer. Almost every single coaster they made is horrible or transformed into an RMC. An example of some of their coasters is Thunder Run (Kentucky Kingdom), Timberwolf (Worlds of Fun), Predator (Darien Lake), Wolverine Wildcat (Michigan’s Adventure), etc.

And you want Daimonbdack to be made them. My duuuuuude don't hurt me like this

2 hours ago, ThrillKingsFitzy said:

Thunder run is a great ride- Kentucky Kingdom really takes care of it. 

11 hours ago, DeltaFlyer said:

I like that one it fun!!!

14 hours ago, ThrillKingsFitzy said:

No it was a joke

I know my dude! I was joking back I mean like who thinks Daimonbdack could be Wade out of would!!!!!

15 hours ago, DeltaFlyer said:

Yeah I heard it has great air. Probably their best.

4 hours ago, dbackdreams said:

I like that one it fun!!!

I know my dude! I was joking back I mean like who thinks Daimonbdack could be Wade out of would!!!!!

Don’t know. But it was actually being planned.

3 minutes ago, coaster sally said:

There is already a rattle of Orion.  I have ridden in first two rows and the second row was more noticable.

Its a slight vibration on a 91 mph coaster... In almost every review for Orion people talk about how smooth the ride is, the rattle currently is not much of a problem imo (I personally haven't even noticed a rattle)

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, coaster sally said:

There is already a rattle of Orion.  I have ridden in first two rows and the second row was more noticable.

Mean Sally don't ride if you don't like oroin and get happy because dad said life to short for being angry and make good choises

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shadowscare said:

The rattle on Banshee is pretty mild IMO.
However I was surprised at the rattle on Diamondback on Friday. Sat in the last row and felt like I was sitting on a mini jackhammer. Not terribly violent but I was surprised by how much I felt it.

Daimonbdack is my favorite caster that strike Kings Island and I love it

Banshee hasn't changed since day 1. It's unfortunate the vests suction you in so tightly against the seat you feel every imperfection along the track, speaking to the back rows. That being said I still love the ride, and I will always talk about the killer airtime on the first drop, the intense 2nd loop, and sensational speed going down the hill out of the zero g. The giant inversions are so funky and it was running really well the other day even with half empty trains. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, shadowscare said:

The rattle on Banshee is pretty mild IMO.
However I was surprised at the rattle on Diamondback on Friday. Sat in the last row and felt like I was sitting on a mini jackhammer. Not terribly violent but I was surprised by how much I felt it.

its bone jarring coming out of the hammerhead into the hill before the on ride photo.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

How long will it be before Cedar Fair changes the restraints? Being pinned down so tight is what greatly accentuates the rattle and roughness making it an uncomfortable ride for some. Change the restraints already so people quit complaining and making up speculative theories and go back to enjoying what should be one of the best coasters in the world

Below is the best post I have found that accurately describes why B&M coasters sometimes exhibit a "rattle"...Personally I don't find Diamnodback's rattle to be excessive and I think Banshee's rattles is heavily accentuated by the restraints. If Cedar Fair wanted to fix these rattling issues on these or any of their B&M coasters then they'd simply have to increase the size and stability of the footers for said rides

Here's the post

The rattle as I understand it is a shimmy in the train during high G movements on a B&M.

During high G on some of the B&Ms the train will get a shimmy to it which is a side to side motion as you are moving forward. It has a tendency to rattle the train giving it the B&M rattle name. The train will shimmy so much that it actually makes the train rattle.

Cause... The cause of this has to do with the footings that the coaster sits on top of. When the footings area not installed correctly or are not large enough they will move a little as the train goes over that section of track. The movement may only be millimeters but its enough to reverberate up to the train that is in high G. Partly you have to remember you have a 50,000 pound train amplified by 3 G making the applied force in the the track and structure over 150,000 pounds. Any movement in the footings is sent back to the train.

The most notable one I have ridden is Goliath at SFOG. On the first and second drop at the bottom you will get the shimmy. During one of the tours I did we were standing under the coaster and noticed that the footing and ground moved as the train went by. That movement is what causes the train to rattle.

On Fury 325 I asked that question about footings. ON Fury, half of the rides footings are connected deep in the ground to bed rock. A hard layer of ground usually deep in the ground that is more or less solid rock. You connect the footings to it, then to the support, to the track. The problem area that could effect Fury is on the out run near the tunnel. That part is not on bed rock. But the park feels they built large enough footings so that it wont be a problem. So far Fury has no real rattle so it has stayed stiff...

What causes the footings to move over time. Several things can cause it.

1. Not large enough or deep enough footings.

2. The constant downward force of the train each time it passes.

3. Bad ground around the footings where the dirt can compress under the footings.

4. Wet and dry seasons or if you are in a frost line area where the ground can freeze moving the footing

More or less the rattle is a shimmy in the train, mostly caused by bad footings or bad ground conditions. Can it be fixed, Sure. Dig up the footings and increase the size or better ground. Will items like this be fixed, typically not as the parks arent going to spend the money until it starts to do damage to fast to trains or track.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, coaster sally said:

Fury does have a rattle as well...

So does GateKeeper, Valravn, Kumba and just about every B&M but some people like to whine about Kings Island B&M's as if it's only prevalent to their collection. Fury (and all B&M's that develop a rattle) probably started developing a rattle due to the footings moving over time due to one of the 4 conditions as explained in the above post

• Like 1