Viking Fury not operating

KIfan73

I searched and didn’t see a topic for this so hopefully there isn’t one already. I have not seen Viking Fury operating during any of my visits this year.. Was there today and it almost looks permanently closed.  The fountain is off in the pond and everything. Anybody hear anything about this?

A41D458A-0AF1-40B0-AF94-A5CC30CA43FD.jpeg

F611DC27-8DA0-4670-A6E0-9C65622A97E0.jpeg

• Sad 1

Viking Fury responds very poorly to rain. If it rains enough, the ship will hydroplane on the tires that drive the ride's swing. Not only will the ship not be able to make its full swing while this happens, it can even mess up the tires, which is an even worse off mechanical issue.

It can take an entire 24 hours for the tires to dry up. In my time working at Viking Fury, we sometimes had to close down after cleaning up vomit because the hose we used made the tires too wet. Overall, the ride is just very fragile when it comes to rain. More often than not, it will close down when it rains.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, jdawg1998 said:

tires that drive the ride's swing

As a little kid I was fascinated at the drive design for this particular ride.  I always thought it looked like someone just took a semi truck, turned it upside down, and stuck it under the ride.  

• Like 2

Yep. I arranged a small get-together during the season passholders’ late night ERT earlier this year, which included Viking Fury. There were only a handful of us participating but we did get some others to join in, including a row of approximately ten year old boys opposite me and a friend, who didn’t know why they were saying it but enjoyed joining in once prompted :)

If we ever have a late ERT on it again like that, I’m going to try to get a group together more than a few hours before. There were others waiting in line when we started the chant who tried to get it going on the next ship, because they remembered it fondly as well. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, jdawg1998 said:

Viking Fury responds very poorly to rain....Overall, the ride is just very fragile when it comes to rain. More often than not, it will close down when it rains.

Thanks for the info! Is that why it is closed so much during Halloween Haunt...usually a more wet/ rainy time period?

1 hour ago, standbyme said:

Thanks for the info! Is that why it is closed so much during Halloween Haunt...usually a more wet/ rainy time period?

Probably, but there used to be a time where the ride would close down because there was too much fog, and it was too hard for the driver to see the ship to ensure all riders were safe!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jdawg1998 said:

It can take an entire 24 hours for the tires to dry up. In my time working at Viking Fury, we sometimes had to close down after cleaning up vomit because the hose we used made the tires too wet. Overall, the ride is just very fragile when it comes to rain. More often than not, it will close down when it rains.

I want to clarify this statement: it will not close down when it rains, but it will close down if it rains enough after an extended period of time.

Another fun fact: we called it in 2-9 "Weather" anytime the rain was too much, but that would happen after the rain ended. Sometimes the sun would be bright and shining when we called it in. Employees in the ops room were confused time and time again as to how we were closed due to weather when there wasn't any bad weather to be found...it was also very annoying to have a greeter at the entrance dealing with guests who argued with us about how "the sun is out, how can it be closed?!"

I'm not sure that the park would appreciate me explaining why (if someone else wants to go into those details, feel free, but I'm not going to), but VF will also go 2-9 Weather on days where it's been very sunny and very hot for an extended amount of time. Basically, VF is capable of going down for any weather for a variety of reasons, haha. It'll come back up eventually--just give it a few hours.

Toss in the unwritten but mandatory seating requirements, and I feel like it's a little more understandable why I always disliked working Viking Fury. (Seriously... PLEASE be nice to VF ride ops.)

I might throw a party the day it closes for good. :ph34r:

• Haha 1

I think that Viking Fury is closed right now to undergo major renovations. The park is going to enhance the ride by adding a couple hundred feet in height and make it a lot faster. It will be called Viking Fury 325, the tallest and fastest pirate ship ride in the world! It will cast a shadow over the lil’ giga!

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

I think that Viking Fury is closed right now to undergo major renovations. The park is going to enhance the ride by adding a couple hundred feet in height and make it a lot faster. It will be called Viking Fury 325, the tallest and fastest pirate ship ride in the world! It will cast a shadow over the lil’ giga!

That is great haha Best thing I have read all day haha

• Like 1