Overhauling Adventure Express

SonofBaconator

In the midst of the Decoding 2020 thread, there was talk about 3 train operations on Adventure Express. This got me thinking of ideas to overhaul the nearly 30 year old attraction and give it better theming.

1. Add more practical sound effects or possibly audio that gets triggered throughout different segments of the ride
    1. Maybe the sound of dripping water "clanging" noises when you enter the second tunnel
  2. Add color changing lights in some of the tunnels to add more character to the rides.
  3. Add props in the station similar to Mystic Timbers
  4. Posters in the que would add to the story as well as some custom audio prepping you for the adventure
  5. Finally, and I don't know if this is feasible, but return to 3 train operations. It would be cool if a train stopped in the tunnel before the 1st lift hill and some type of scene went on, similar to the shed. It would make the ride seem longer and would help avoid stacking.
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, SonofBaconator said:

In the midst of the Decoding 2020 thread, there was talk about 3 train operations on Adventure Express. This got me thinking of ideas to overhaul the nearly 30 year old attraction and give it better theming.

1. Add more practical sound effects or possibly audio that gets triggered throughout different segments of the ride
    1. Maybe the sound of dripping water "clanging" noises when you enter the second tunnel
  2. Add color changing lights in some of the tunnels to add more character to the rides.
  3. Add props in the station similar to Mystic Timbers
  4. Posters in the que would add to the story as well as some custom audio prepping you for the adventure
  5. Finally, and I don't know if this is feasible, but return to 3 train operations. It would be cool if a train stopped in the tunnel before the 1st lift hill and some type of scene went on, similar to the shed. It would make the ride seem longer and would help avoid stacking.

My assumption is the reason they dont want the coasters stopping on the lift hills (unless they have to) is wear and tear on the gear boxes.  That's why they run all day long, even if there isn't a coaster on the hill.  That being said, it may be possible to completely stop it before the first lift hill, but unlikely.

17 minutes ago, teenageninja said:

My assumption is the reason they dont want the coasters stopping on the lift hills (unless they have to) is wear and tear on the gear boxes.  That's why they run all day long, even if there isn't a coaster on the hill.  That being said, it may be possible to completely stop it before the first lift hill, but unlikely.

I think the suggestion was BEFORE the lift hill. Adding a brake run in the tunnel. I think either there or add a show scene to the bottom or top of the final lift hill (more in line with MT) seems like it would give more flexibility in timing and adding more show loop if needed. The entire run from the “false drop” all the way back to the station could be enclosed with a show scene to give them the “enhanced brake run” idea of MT. IT  would be cool if the show scene was at the bottom, the train cane to a full stop, then the lift was changed to more if a high speed chain lift to “shoot” the train up and out if the “danger” in the temple. Maybe make the last hill less “WTF?”

• Like 4

1 hour ago, brent said:

I think the suggestion was BEFORE the lift hill. Adding a brake run in the tunnel. I think either there or add a show scene to the bottom or top of the final lift hill (more in line with MT) seems like it would give more flexibility in timing and adding more show loop if needed. The entire run from the “false drop” all the way back to the station could be enclosed with a show scene to give them the “enhanced brake run” idea of MT. IT  would be cool if the show scene was at the bottom, the train cane to a full stop, then the lift was changed to more if a high speed chain lift to “shoot” the train up and out if the “danger” in the temple. Maybe make the last hill less “WTF?”

They would have to weld brackets onto the track and add brake components back there, interesting idea, but extremely expensive.

Yeah while I don't think any of this will happen due to expense, I think it would improve AE a lot. Hell I would be thrilled if they took a year and didn't add rides or anything but in turn focused on improving theming and smoothness of rides across the park that would be awesome!

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, MrSourNinja said:

Yeah while I don't think any of this will happen due to expense, I think it would improve AE a lot. Hell I would be thrilled if they took a year and didn't add rides or anything but in turn focused on improving theming and smoothness of rides across the park that would be awesome!

You mean like 2018?

• Like 2

Retheme it ti Barvarian Railroad to match Oktoberfest.   The station already has a chalet type roof.    Turn the tunnels into ice and snow tunnels with cold blasts of air.   

And if they really wanted to market a new rude, extend it with a double helix and tunnel after the final lift.   

• Like 1

I personally don't think the track needs touched at all. I've never personally have ever had a truly bad ride on it. However, return of the Station Master audio would be great, and making the "Now you will pay!" audio louder so you can actually hear it would also be neat.

Just a full revamp would be nice. More props, better audio, keeping the effects running, more fleshed out tunnels. Would be really, really cool.

Here's some of the audio, btw (found on KIExtreme.com)

Adventure Express Station Master.mp3

Adventure Express Final Tunnel Mono.mp3

Adventure Express Rainforest.mp3

• Like 2

I actually think they have done a good job with restoring some of the theming on this ride.  The spears work, the cranking noises on the first lift work, the statues all work, the eyes are lit up etc.  I have heard the jungle noises consistently.  I have not heard the "woosh" sounds in the tunnels since 2014, though.  

I think it needs some cosmetic things done like paint, closing the door on the 2nd lift, trimming the poison ivy from the near miss columns, and replacing the falling stuff from the chicken wire.  Also, some props in the station.  

I don't think it needs a third train.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Pagoda Gift Shop said:

I think it's funny that there is a thread about re-theming Adventure Express, when Backlot Stunt Coaster easily wins the award for worst theming (and overall ugliness).

That's because Express has some potential. BLSC can't really be fixed, honestly. It's a concrete jungle. And it's literally themed to a concrete jungle. The very basis of it disallows it from any good theming.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, super7 said:

Retheme it ti Barvarian Railroad to match Oktoberfest.   The station already has a chalet type roof.    Torn the tunnels into ice and snow tunnels with cold blasts of air.   

And if they really wanted to market a new rude, extend it with a double helix and tunnel after the final lift.   

I agree that I would like to see it themed closer to the area and be a train ride through the Black Forest. Can do some light theming on the tunnels, make them all caves or something. Can add some animals like bats and wolves, or a supernatural element to showcase in a scene on the final lift. And plant more trees to make it more forest like. Some minor rock work would go a long way. And one or two tunnels could just be left through darkness just some work around the entrance and exit of it. This couldreally enhance the ride and be a fairly inexpensive upgrade

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jdawg1998 said:

That's because Express has some potential. BLSC can't really be fixed, honestly. It's a concrete jungle. And it's literally themed to a concrete jungle. The very basis of it disallows it from any good theming.

It's also in a **** spot. That and Diamondback are kind of weird in themselves because nothing is around them besides a grassy field. Just feels out of place...

1 hour ago, flightoffear1996 said:

Why would you put a bunch of money into rethemeing a ride that is mostly likely at the end of its service life. Don’t get me wrong I love Adventure Express and would hate to see it go but one day sooner rather than later I can see it being removed. Maybe not though!

I don’t think it’s really at the end of its service life. I believe S&S is still providing parts for the attraction? Considering how many mine trains have been manufactured. The ride also seems to be very basic, compared to rides such as The Bat.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Pagoda Gift Shop said:

I think it's funny that there is a thread about re-theming Adventure Express, when Backlot Stunt Coaster easily wins the award for worst theming (and overall ugliness).

Totally agreed.  At least AE mis theming is hidden in the woods.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Arrow said:

I personally don't think the track needs touched at all. I've never personally have ever had a truly bad ride on it. 

The dip about 3/4 into the helix is a great example of poor arrow transitions.     The dip turn after the long swoop drop/before the helix can also be rough if one is not ready for it. 

1 hour ago, super7 said:

The dip about 3/4 into the helix is a great example of poor arrow transitions.     The dip turn after the long swoop drop/before the helix can also be rough if one is not ready for it. 

I guess I don't see that as a great example of poor arrow transitions. Has always felt like a normal, janky mine train transition. Nothing bad, really.

7 hours ago, flightoffear1996 said:

Why would you put a bunch of money into rethemeing a ride that is mostly likely at the end of its service life. Don’t get me wrong I love Adventure Express and would hate to see it go but one day sooner rather than later I can see it being removed. Maybe not though!

I'd say Express really isn't at all near the end of it's service life. Parts aren't an issue, maintenance isn't an issue, and ridership really isn't an issue at all, so unless KI absolutely HAS to remove it, I don't think we'll be seeing it go anytime soon.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, super7 said:

Totally agreed.  At least AE mis theming is hidden in the woods.  

Adventure Express was in Wild Animal Habitat when it opened, so the whole jungle set-up makes sense once you consider that. The park “moved” the ride to Oktoberfest in 2000.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, flightoffear1996 said:

One ride that I would like to either see get VR or removed is The Bat. I think it has reached the end of its life in my opinion that’s some valuable space there. Sorry MDMC01 

• Confused 4
  • Sad 2

^Sorry @MaestroJrcouldn't disagree with you more regarding The Bat.  KI is not hurting for space, so I don't see that as a valid reason for removal.  And as far as I've seen The Bat is one of the rides that doesn't appear to have a lot of downtime either.  I've been on the VR Iron Dragon, and I can say it didn't make the ride any better.

Now about Adventure Express, I don't know about a major overhaul, but I think it could definitely use a redo of theming to give it life which requires less maintenance support. The fact that it needs so much annual attention to keep it going/functional is concerning.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just because a ride is old doesn't mean the park should get rid of it. 

Totally true, that statement could be applied to another coaster (The Beast). But the ride is still getting ridership so yea it’s not going anywhere.

I would love to see Adventure Express get some love. I think adding to the finale is a good idea and would get rid of that WTF moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk