Overhauling Adventure Express

SonofBaconator

2 hours ago, NegativeGs said:

I understand the ride was originally themed to Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, during the days of Paramount. 

Samples from the Raiders of the Lost Ark score were used in its station at different times and there are some very loose similarities to a sequence from ToD, but AE was never directly themed to Indiana Jones. It opened shortly before the Paramount years, but also the famed archeologist is Lucasfilm's IP and was already being used for Disney attractions at the time. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Joshua said:

Samples from the Raiders of the Lost Ark score were used in its station at different times, but it was never directly themed to Indiana Jones. AE opened shortly before the Paramount years, but also the famed archeologist is Lucasfilm's IP and was already being used for Disney attractions at the time. 

Yeah, it was very Indy-ish without being Indy. Even the color scheme on the logo is reminiscent of the Indiana Jones logo (actually kind of surprised -- and happy -- that Paramount never decided to just dress AE up in Tomb Raider garb instead of spending a lot of money on the TR ride, which was such a great ride for such a short amount of time). 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cdubbs727 said:

Even the color scheme on the logo is reminiscent of the Indiana Jones logo

Yes, they both have a yellow to orange gradient. But at one point, AE's logo was just yellow with a grey-ish 3D effect. I actually don't think it is all that reminiscent to the Indiana Jones movies themselves. At least, not directly. The actual visual similarities are very loose at best and is purely in its setting that practically comes standard in the jungle adventure/treasure hunter subgenre, which predates Raiders of the Lost Ark. But at the same time, it makes you feel like you're in an Indiana Jones film, so who can argue with that? 

I think mine trains in general have that unofficial tie to Indiana Jones. The whole runaway mine train concept isn't anything new but I think Raiders of the lost Ark ultimately made it popular. 

I don't know how you can have Adventure Express truly fit in with Oktoberfest without retheming either the ride or the section. Truth be told the ride doesn't currently display a tie to a specific region until you enter the final tunnel (except for the snake in the 2nd tunnel). 

• Like 2

The ride would need some retheming but it could be done fairly cheaply I think. Just say that it's a runaway mine train through the black forest or something and change the statues at the end to something from German folklore or something. Honestly Like to see it overhauled a little more and give it a theming similar to Verbolten and rework the tunnels a little. Keep the basics of the ride as is just some theming int he tunnels and more trees planted around. If the trains could be rethemed that would help.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, purdude86 said:

The ride would need some retheming but it could be done fairly cheaply I think. Just say that it's a runaway mine train through the black forest or something and change the statues at the end to something from German folklore or something. Honestly Like to see it overhauled a little more and give it a theming similar to Verbolten and rework the tunnels a little. Keep the basics of the ride as is just some theming int he tunnels and more trees planted around. If the trains could be rethemed that would help.

And what of the final tunnel?

I would keep the overall effect the same but have the statues changed to trolls. Have some backstory for the ride about it being a journey through the black forest, but rumors of explorers going missing and whisperings of troll sightings. Is there a link between the two? Just put a few little signs or stuff in the queue and them the station as a train station or something. Have some quick sound effects on the ride and some theming elements for missing travelers and supplies or even a car that has been destroyed by something to build up to the troll encounter for the final lift hill.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Joshua said:

Samples from the Raiders of the Lost Ark score were used in its station at different times and there are some very loose similarities to a sequence from ToD, but AE was never directly themed to Indiana Jones. It opened shortly before the Paramount years, but also the famed archeologist is Lucasfilm's IP and was already being used for Disney attractions at the time. 

I remember first visiting KI from the United Kingdom in August 1991. I visited again during the spring of 1992. Recollecting, I do remember the Raider's of the Lost Ark score being played. Being a 20-year old, I thought the ride was pretty awesome. I guess it is still a crowd-pleaser, as it is now my 10-year old's favorite KI coaster.

6 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

I think mine trains in general have that unofficial tie to Indiana Jones. The whole runaway mine train concept isn't anything new but I think Raiders of the lost Ark ultimately made it popular. 

I don't know how you can have Adventure Express truly fit in with Oktoberfest without retheming either the ride or the section. Truth be told the ride doesn't currently display a tie to a specific region until you enter the final tunnel (except for the snake in the 2nd tunnel). 

Check out the Kobold, from German folklore. Put those suckers in a Haunted mine and let them run amok. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobold

i think you either go this route to strengthen Oktoberfest or have Oktoberfest be the side of Hanks that is the beer garden, festhaus and annex Delierium to strengthen that area. Then keep Hanks and add some theming and landscaping to that area to have a South American/ Mexico area with AE as the main anchor. Still clean up AE but make it clearly not Africa. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

There isn't a mine train in Raiders of the Lost Ark. Temple of Doom features a mine cart chase sequence. Mine train coasters predate Indiana Jones. 

Interestingly enough, the mine cart sequence from Temple of Doom was the subject of a 1985 special effects documentary called Horizons: How to Film the Impossible. In it, the visual effects artists discuss the influence rollercoasters had on creating the sequence, which was brought to life using mostly miniatures. They went out to parks and filmed reference footage on log flumes and rollercoasters in both fixed and handheld positions in order to study intuitive camera movements that would best reproduce the sensation of riding a rollercoaster. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Joshua said:

Interestingly enough, the mine cart sequence from Temple of Doom was the subject of a 1985 special effects documentary called Horizons: How to Film the Impossible. In it, the visual effects artists discuss the influence rollercoasters had on creating the sequence, which was brought to life using mostly miniatures. They went out to parks and filmed reference footage on log flumes and rollercoasters in both fixed and handheld positions in order to study intuitive camera movements that would best reproduce the sensation of riding a rollercoaster. 

Now that's interesting. I miss old special effects.

• Like 1

I would love for Adventure Express to get an overhaul. I remember as a kid, I used to create a replica of the ride in Roller Coaster Tycoon 2. The only change I would make was to add a little extension after the 2nd lift hill. Just a few dips and maybe a helix. I was always wanting more on the real thing. 

Is it realistically feasible in real life? Not really... 

Knott's has been upping the theming for a lot of their rides these past few years. It would be nice to see that practice extended to us. Before Paramount KI was really good at theming. Ironically when the movie company took over, the theming started to decrease in quality. Cedar Fair has been chipping away at Paramount's handy work and we're starting to see a lot of character return to the park (2019 was the best example of this). 

Adventure Express, as well as all of Oktoberfest, should get some love. The ride itself is turning 30 next season after all.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, RollerColt said:

I would love for Adventure Express to get an overhaul. I remember as a kid, I used to create a replica of the ride in Roller Coaster Tycoon 2. The only change I would make was to add a little extension after the 2nd lift hill. Just a few dips and maybe a helix. I was always wanting more on the real thing. 

Is it realistically feasible in real life? Not really... 

The best thing they could do is add a 5% chance that you'll fall back down the final hill.

• Like 1