Holiday World Says Not To Expect 'Thunderbird level' Addition For 2020 Season

Just now, Fitzcoasts14 said:

Maybe it could be one of those pipeline slide complexes.

I was thinking the same. Knowing that Monsoon Lagoon closed and a third of Hyena Falls was was removed, I'd expect a new slide complex near either location. The teasers have been suggesting a thrill ride, something fast and themed to what I believe is a Cheetah. I wouldn't mind another water coaster.

2 minutes ago, Fitzcoasts14 said:

Those pipeline slides are extremely fast. I wouldn’t be surprised if it is one of those

I think you could definitely be on to something. HW has a pretty significant lack of body slides and adding a drop element would be more than enough to take the water park to another level as far as attendance goes.

• Like 1

Further digging and I'm thinking what we have on our hands here is definitely a water park addition. The wording in the social media teases suggests it's going to be a fast ride. It's themed to a jungle cat. And it is a spotted jungle cat. Cheetah, Leopard, etc. With the park using the phrase "Hold on tight", that would imply it's a ride, not just a slide and it's going to have a vehicle or innertube of some sort. I believe it's going to be a launched water coaster, the third water coaster in the park and the blueprint above certainly supports that.

• Like 1

If that's true, then it looks like the ride will send off launching or lifting over top of Voyage's first drop, and then... is that an inversion through that gap of supports in Voyage's lift???
There IS a lot of space there above the return-trip track.. would they do such a thing?? lol

EDIT-- It also seems to be too far north to be using that gap.. but, going through existing structure seems even more unlikely..

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, calakapepe said:

If that's true, then it looks like the ride will send off launching or lifting over top of Voyage's first drop, and then... is that an inversion through that gap of supports in Voyage's lift???
There IS a lot of space there above the return-trip track.. would they do such a thing?? lol

EDIT-- It also seems to be too far north to be using that gap.. but, going through existing structure seems even more unlikely..

I think it would be added next to Mammoth and behind Kima Bay. If not there, then right by Hyena Falls.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jdawg1998 said:

I've never really heard a park admit to not expect a certain level of new attraction. Seems to diminish the hype over it. Strange.

Cedar Point admitted earlier this year that their 2020 addition is not a new coaster.

Thunderbird's announcement was preceded by 66 days of new teasers.This year's announcement is getting substantially less.

1 hour ago, Steel Maverick said:

It could be intentional diminished hype to totally sneak attack the industry. Holiday World are fun llike that.

Who exactly are they sneak attacking? It’s a small park. As others have mentioned I’d suspect it’ll be a waterpark addition. I don’t know when we’re going to see a new large coaster considering the fact I don’t think Thunderbird did the numbers they were hoping for.

5 hours ago, Ben43065 said:

Who exactly are they sneak attacking? It’s a small park. As others have mentioned I’d suspect it’ll be a waterpark addition. I don’t know when we’re going to see a new large coaster considering the fact I don’t think Thunderbird did the numbers they were hoping for.

Just a playful way of wording things, not an actual attack. Though I definitely think HW can hold their own when they're sitting on a great announcement. It's definitely for the water park this year

On 7/26/2019 at 4:38 PM, Ben43065 said:

LOL! A park that has brought in over 1 million people every year since 2006 is not a small park. I remember people saying the same thing about Kentucky Kingdom when they opened up. Then after they pulled in over a million visitors with their 39.99 ticket deal, Kings Island responded to that by making their own 39.99 deal with free drinks and parking. If HW and KK were "small players" you wouldnt see the investment of new rides at KI. They have added Banshee, Mystic Timbers, Antique Cars, and this new Giga coaster in the last 6 years... HW has three world class roller coasters (Raven, Voyage, Thunderbird), three world class water rides (Wildebeest, Mammoth, and this new water coaster they are building). They are major players in the region and to diminish HW is not a wise business strategy. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Joncars05 said:

LOL! A park that has brought in over 1 million people every year since 2006 is not a small park. I remember people saying the same thing about Kentucky Kingdom when they opened up. Then after they pulled in over a million visitors with their 39.99 ticket deal, Kings Island responded to that by making their own 39.99 deal with free drinks and parking. If HW and KK were "small players" you wouldnt see the investment of new rides at KI. They have added Banshee, Mystic Timbers, Antique Cars, and this new Giga coaster in the last 6 years... HW has three world class roller coasters (Raven, Voyage, Thunderbird), three world class water rides (Wildebeest, Mammoth, and this new water coaster they are building). They are major players in the region and to diminish HW is not a wise business strategy. 

Few things 

1- Yes they bring in a decent number of people but to act like they’re a major player in the industry is a tad bit of an overreaction.  Sure they have 3 “world class” coasters but when you look past that their lineup falls really short. Still a great park but their lineup needs a lot of work. 

2-Kings Island has received pretty much an average amount of investment when you compare it to Canada’s wonderland & Carowinds. All 3 of these paramount parks are receiving similar investments (3 large steel coasters, one of which is a hyper & giga) Yes Kings Island got a wooden coaster while Carowinds got a new waterpark & Hotel. Canada’s wonderland got a few flats & a hotel. 

3- The reason Kings Island gets as much money as they do is due to the fact it brings in a lot of revenue. Amusement parks lose value every single year, as rides age their value goes down. For this reason Kings Island gets investments to maintain its value and to maintain its revenue. Yes there’s some competition but the competition isn’t a major threat, Kentucky Kingdom is a small independent park really only draws in the areas around Louisville. Holiday world is also a small park that gets a coaster almost once a decade, they do pull in people from the same market as Kings Island but since Kings Island pulls from more markets it’s not as big as a threat as one might assume.

4-Holiday worlds attendance largely comes from its waterpark, Kings Island on the other hand gets more attendance due to its coaster collection & flat ride. Yes the waterpark is a draw but it’s not a major draw.

Yes Cedar Fair takes the two Parks into account but you have to realize neither of them get enough capital to really threaten Kings Island.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ben43065 said:

Few things 

1- Yes they bring in a decent number of people but to act like they’re a major player in the industry is a tad bit of an overreaction.  Sure they have 3 “world class” coasters but when you look past that their lineup falls really short. Still a great park but their lineup needs a lot of work. 

2-Kings Island has received pretty much an average amount of investment when you compare it to Canada’s wonderland & Carowinds. All 3 of these paramount parks are receiving similar investments (3 large steel coasters, one of which is a hyper & giga) Yes Kings Island got a wooden coaster while Carowinds got a new waterpark & Hotel. Canada’s wonderland got a few flats & a hotel. 

3- The reason Kings Island gets as much money as they do is due to the fact it brings in a lot of revenue. Amusement parks lose value every single year, as rides age their value goes down. For this reason Kings Island gets investments to maintain its value and to maintain its revenue. Yes there’s some competition but the competition isn’t a major threat, Kentucky Kingdom is a small independent park really only draws in the areas around Louisville. Holiday world is also a small park that gets a coaster almost once a decade, they do pull in people from the same market as Kings Island but since Kings Island pulls from more markets it’s not as big as a threat as one might assume.

4-Holiday worlds attendance largely comes from its waterpark, Kings Island on the other hand gets more attendance due to its coaster collection & flat ride. Yes the waterpark is a draw but it’s not a major draw.

Yes Cedar Fair takes the two Parks into account but you have to realize neither of them get enough capital to really threaten Kings Island.

Its okay that you dont think that HW is a major player but they draw over 1 million people a year to SANTA CLAUS, IN!!!  They are HOURS away from any major city yet still draw an attendance level on par with Kings Dominion, Dorney Park, California's Great America, and Valleyfair. Based off of attendance levels HW would be in the upper half of Cedar Fair's portfolio if it was owned by CF. I'm not saying HW or KK will take over Kings Island. Of course they won't, they dont have the financial backing of a parent company that owns 11 parks. But they are definitely major players hence why Kings Island started marketing heavy in Indianapolis with they 39.99 deal. The water park at HW is a huge draw and they make a ton of money from it. Just because its a water park doesnt mean its not a juge draw. Good luck getting to ride everything in the water park on one day during the summer. Thats where they make their money. HW is almost a multiday park especially for families. Also HW pulls from St Louis, Indianapolis, Louisville, Cincinnati, and Nashville, I didnt believe it until I went to Nashville and saw multiple HW billboards and tv commercials. Small parks dont advertise in multiple states and in cities 5+ hours away. I understand most people think parks are small because they dont have a 10+ coasters and arent owned by parent companies but they still do have power in the region and luckily KI and CF have taken notice and blessed the park with 3 new coasters, new antique cars, 3 new additions to Planet Snoopy, and a slide complex in Soak City, and many adjustments (International street overhaul, grand carnival, and other additions) and made the all within 6 years. I mean they have built more coasters and had more park improvements than Cedar Point, Knotts Berry Farm, Canada's Wonderland and Carowinds have recieve in the same time. Although each of those parks have higher attendance numbers than Kings Island. I wonder why that is? 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Joncars05 said:

Its okay that you dont think that HW is a major player but they draw over 1 million people a year to SANTA CLAUS, IN!!!  They are HOURS away from any major city yet still draw an attendance level on par with Kings Dominion, Dorney Park, California's Great America, and Valleyfair. Based off of attendance levels HW would be in the upper half of Cedar Fair's portfolio if it was owned by CF. I'm not saying HW or KK will take over Kings Island. Of course they won't, they dont have the financial backing of a parent company that owns 11 parks. But they are definitely major players hence why Kings Island started marketing heavy in Indianapolis with they 39.99 deal. The water park at HW is a huge draw and they make a ton of money from it. Just because its a water park doesnt mean its not a juge draw. Good luck getting to ride everything in the water park on one day during the summer. Thats where they make their money. HW is almost a multiday park especially for families. Also HW pulls from St Louis, Indianapolis, Louisville, Cincinnati, and Nashville, I didnt believe it until I went to Nashville and saw multiple HW billboards and tv commercials. Small parks dont advertise in multiple states and in cities 5+ hours away. I understand most people think parks are small because they dont have a 10+ coasters and arent owned by parent companies but they still do have power in the region and luckily KI and CF have taken notice and blessed the park with 3 new coasters, new antique cars, 3 new additions to Planet Snoopy, and a slide complex in Soak City, and many adjustments (International street overhaul, grand carnival, and other additions) and made the all within 6 years. I mean they have built more coasters and had more park improvements than Cedar Point, Knotts Berry Farm, Canada's Wonderland and Carowinds have recieve in the same time. Although each of those parks have higher attendance numbers than Kings Island. I wonder why that is? 

I wouldn’t be surprised if Carowinds, Cedar Point & Canadas wonderland have gotten more capital these past few years then Kings Island. As I’ve already stated all the paramount parks have gotten capital due to how mismanaged the parks were, if you compare the 3 they’ve all gotten very similar additions. Yes Kings Island got a coaster but that cost just as much as a hotel.... Kings Island gets as much capital as it does due to the fact it brings in the 3rd most revenue out of the 11 parks. Theme parks age, and if they don’t keep getting investments their revenue stream will eventually decline. It is for these reasons that Kings Island gets as much investment as it does. In my honest opinion I don’t think Holiday world is a major player, yes they do compete with Kings Island but I don’t see them having a major impact on the parks bottom line. Kentucky Kingdom On the other hand could be a major competitor (Hence the major investments the park received in the late 90’s) but due to its lack of large capital investments it isn’t a major threat. Yes it does take a few people from Kings Island but the park is still able to compete due to its large size. The investments Kings Island has received aren’t due to holiday worlds “build up” its due to keeping the park modern and appealing to more distant markets imo.

• Like 1

Looks like these plans weren't for the 2020 addition now with the announcement of Cheetah Chase. Wonder if we will be getting a water coaster for the 2021 season then. If that's what this is I hope it is accessible from both the Holiday World's side and Splashin' Safari. Be great to be able to ride it without having to go through Splashing Safari but if already in the waterpark be great to be able to ride it while still in swimsuit.

On 8/6/2019 at 7:02 PM, purdude86 said:

Looks like these plans weren't for the 2020 addition now with the announcement of Cheetah Chase. Wonder if we will be getting a water coaster for the 2021 season then. If that's what this is I hope it is accessible from both the Holiday World's side and Splashin' Safari. Be great to be able to ride it without having to go through Splashing Safari but if already in the waterpark be great to be able to ride it while still in swimsuit.

Cheetah Chase is a water coaster, a launched water coaster

• 9 months later...
On 7/25/2019 at 8:15 PM, takoman09 said:

gave it a shot trying to edit it onto the park and it seems to match, im sure someone out there can do better lol

overlay.jpg

Has there been anymore talks about this or sources to back this up?

To me it looks like it could be come type of launched coaster but the wording is so blurred on the blueprints its hard to tell.