Enchanted Voyage Questions

Dreymeister

I know part of the building is used as a theater for kids' shows (Space Beagle is in there this summer). But from my recollection, that theater space is really small -- and I don't think Boo Blasters takes up a ton of space (I could be wrong)...and it stops on the opposite end from where EV started. Not sure whether they use the rest of the building for storage or not...perhaps the track does go further than I thought. 

I never rode EV in its original iteration; the first year I went to the park was the year that the Smurfs Enchanted Voyage was opened. That was my favorite ride as a child -- it delighted and terrified me (not that Gargamel was all that scary, but I always had a fear of the boats stopping and the lights shutting off). 

I rode BB several times this year with my kids and was disappointed. The volume seemed extremely low at points, the blasters don't make any noise (did they ever?) and it just feels like an after-thought (although my kids loved it). I wish they'd gut it and put a special dark ride in there. Honestly, I'd take that over a giga. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, cdubbs727 said:

I know part of the building is used as a theater for kids' shows (Space Beagle is in there this summer). But from my recollection, that theater space is really small -- and I don't think Boo Blasters takes up a ton of space (I could be wrong)...and it stops on the opposite end from where EV started. Not sure whether they use the rest of the building for storage or not...perhaps the track does go further than I thought. 

I never rode EV in its original iteration; the first year I went to the park was the year that the Smurfs Enchanted Voyage was opened. That was my favorite ride as a child -- it delighted and terrified me (not that Gargamel was all that scary, but I always had a fear of the boats stopping and the lights shutting off). 

I rode BB several times this year with my kids and was disappointed. The volume seemed extremely low at points, the blasters don't make any noise (did they ever?) and it just feels like an after-thought (although my kids loved it). I wish they'd gut it and put a special dark ride in there. Honestly, I'd take that over a giga. 

I'd love to see BB completely changed... I love learning about the history of parks, And I like the museum at CP.  Personally I'd like some sort of Dark Ride/tour through the history of KI.  They could utilize the same ride system and videos and models etc throughout the ride.  At the end expand out and put in a walk through area with more models and facts and what not.  Might be an idea on a way to add something fun for the 50th Anniversary

• Like 3

2 hours ago, HandsUp said:

Not sure about the inside props-but the snail (as well as the elephant from the old fountain) are at Jungle Jims in Fairfield

Jungle Jim's has a Kings Island snail, but not the Enchanted Voyage one. Here's a shot of it from December 2015 - you can compare it to the photo @Dreymeister posted and see they're different characters.

Lr3Pgsb.jpg

To answer the original question, the Boo Blasters building also includes the former Enchanted Theater, dressing rooms and similar for said theater, and storage for the park's custodial department. I don't know how Enchanted Voyage's footprint compared, although finding a layout of that ride has been one of my Kings Island "white whales" for a few years now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, decyferite said:

I'd love to see BB completely changed... I love learning about the history of parks, And I like the museum at CP.  Personally I'd like some sort of Dark Ride/tour through the history of KI.  They could utilize the same ride system and videos and models etc throughout the ride.  At the end expand out and put in a walk through area with more models and facts and what not.  Might be an idea on a way to add something fun for the 50th Anniversary

I love that idea. They could even put up history boards for the people waiting in line. I think many adults would love it but you would have to have something more focused on the kids I believe. Maybe still do a history themed ride but somewhere like the old Days of Thunder building. By the way, what is that building and Tomb Raider buildings used for now? 

16 minutes ago, jensenracing77 said:

I love that idea. They could even put up history boards for the people waiting in line. I think many adults would love it but you would have to have something more focused on the kids I believe. Maybe still do a history themed ride but somewhere like the old Days of Thunder building. By the way, what is that building and Tomb Raider buildings used for now? 

Both are currently unused during normal park operation... It looks weird for where The Crypt/Tomb Raider sat there with nothing going on... The theater where DOT was is blocked to get back there... I believe TR is used for Haunt, not sure about the DOT theater... 

15 hours ago, cdubbs727 said:

To answer your question, yes the blasters made noise at one point but not for a while, probably since Scooby was here which in my opinion was much more relatable and functional. I think KIs BBoBH is the worst of all the Cedar Fair versions. I also agree I’d rather have a nice dark ride than any coaster right now. 

3 hours ago, BruceWayneWins said:

Imagine if the ride still existed and was themed with Snoopy characters.  Most kids would be like "eh, ok?"

Yea I'm 20 and didnt watch Snoopy as Kid and I know kids now for sure arent watching it. Very curious to see how long this theme lasts before we see a retheme and to what?

It’s been in use for quite a while. Its use at Knotts predates Cedar Faire. They must see value in it since they have kept it this long. I don’t know if they are even concerned if kids “watch” it or not. My youngest had no idea who snippy was the first time he saw him, yet lives to say hi all the time just because it’s a cute giant cuddly dog. Sometimes NOT chasing after the latest hit thing is smarter. Hot cools fast. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Magenta Lizard said:

No, unfortunately Carnevil is no more

To add to this, the area where Carnevil used to be is now called Peanuts Showplace and they have live shows there during the summer and during Winterfest.

If they changed the theming, I am not sure what they could change it to that would actually satisfy those who are disappointed. KI was lucky to have characters like Scooby Doo and Spongebob in the park because the previous owners, Taft Broadcasting and Paramount, had the benefit of owning children's IPs that were either current or at least still popular.

1 hour ago, Joshua said:

If they changed the theming, I am not sure what they could change it to that would actually satisfy those who are disappointed. KI was lucky to have characters like Scooby Doo and Spongebob in the park because the previous owners, Taft Broadcasting and Paramount, had the benefit of owning children's IPs that were either current or at least still popular.

The biggest problem is anything out there that would interest kids is owned by either Universal, Disney, or WB/AT&T which all have parks already.  So unless they inked deals with PBS or children's shows on Netflix I don't think there is many realistic options anymore.  

27 minutes ago, BruceWayneWins said:

The biggest problem is anything out there that would interest kids is owned by either Universal, Disney, or WB/AT&T which all have parks already.  So unless they inked deals with PBS or children's shows on Netflix I don't think there is many realistic options anymore.  

That’s why I think parks like Dollywood have been smart in avoiding IP tie ins, or like with Wildwood grove, they create their own characters. And a park like Dollywood could probably tie into a wealth of literary characters through Dolly’s imagination library and their partnership with penguin publishing. No characters, yet kids have a blast in well themed, well designed area. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, brent said:

That’s why I think parks like Dollywood have been smart in avoiding IP tie ins, or like with Wildwood grove, they create their own characters. And a park like Dollywood could probably tie into a wealth of literary characters through Dolly’s imagination library and their partnership with penguin publishing. No characters, yet kids have a blast in well themed, well designed area. 

I think too that another thing to consider is what the kids think of Snoopy. The only people I ever hear complaints from are the parents who miss Scooby and Spongebob. I think we as adults often get caught up in our own nostalgia that we sometimes forget that kids right now are creating what will be their own nostalgia. They don't necessarily need to know the history of a character to fall in love with them. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, brent said:

My youngest had no idea who Snoopy was the first time he saw him, yet loves to say hi all the time just because it’s a cute giant cuddly dog. 

1 hour ago, Joshua said:

They don't necessarily need to know the history of a character to fall in love with them. 

I agree, to my last two nephews who grew up with Snoopy at the park, he IS Kings Island to them. If they see a Snoopy item in a store like Target or somewhere, they say “Look, they have Kings Island shoes!” (Or whatever else it might be.)

I still think that seeing a character that they watch on TV would be even more of a thrill for them...but I will also admit that Snoopy has now come to represent something special...something that they will always identify with the good times they’ve had at the park. 

On 8/7/2019 at 12:17 PM, JonahWilliamson said:

Yea I'm 20 and didnt watch Snoopy as Kid and I know kids now for sure arent watching it. Very curious to see how long this theme lasts before we see a retheme and to what?

What are you talking about? Kids come from hundreds of miles away just to hug Schroeder! 

The Enchanted Voyage is the ride that I credit with starting my life-long love of theme parks. As a six year-old riding for the first time, I thought it was the most beautiful thing I’d ever seen! While I grew into a coaster aficionado over the years, I still have a soft spot for the classic dark ride (especially one with a boat!)

On 8/6/2019 at 11:36 AM, cdubbs727 said:

They did make noise when it was Branded as the Scooby doo ride. The ride has just gone downhill at this point. I rode it a few days ago and half of the mechanics inside it don’t even work anymore.

On 8/4/2019 at 11:30 PM, Dreymeister said:

The Enchanted Voyage building is clearly only being about 1/4 used for boo blasters, what do they use the rest of it for? I’m wondering if there might be some things left from previous rides? Props, fixtures, etc. Does anyone have any information on it? Image found at: wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

https://www.flickr.com/photos/15239812@N00/663730033

7A3B840B-5BBB-4EB0-A948-249A2A81724A.jpeg

It would be insane to see even the waterway from the boats originally ever being there. And they elephant is at JJ in Fairfield? I never have seen it there?