Top Thrill Dragster Extended Downtime

22 minutes ago, Maddog said:

A good video about the technology behind the ride.  TTD truly is a complex coaster when compared to others having simple chain lift hills and a couple of pneumatic brake blocks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjE4SKpN8y4 

Your right. TTD is truly one of the most complex thrill machines out their. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

I heard it was down because they were melting the steel into a new B&M. They are probably doing the same thing to Millenium Force. Maverick and Wicked Twisted are next! LOL!

10 minutes ago, BeeastFarmer said:

Be careful!  You might send people chasing after @Maverick44 and he will take the blame for it!

@FUN&ONLY! watch it! haha

@BeeastFarmer thanks for having my back lol

As for the coaster. It is an iconic ride and I am glad CP takes care of it. It is such an advanced technology I can understand. It has really never bothered me. I know others can't stand it but for the thrill like this I do not mind waiting to ride this coaster. Amazing ride! I know people will disagree but that's mu opinion lol  Thank you CP and Intamin for such a great coaster line up at CP!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Maverick44 said:

@FUN&ONLY! watch it! haha

@BeeastFarmer thanks for having my back lol

As for the coaster. It is an iconic ride and I am glad CP takes care of it. It is such an advanced technology I can understand. It has really never bothered me. I know others can't stand it but for the thrill like this I do not mind waiting to ride this coaster. Amazing ride! I know people will disagree but that's mu opinion lol  Thank you CP and Intamin for such a great coaster line up at CP!

You know I was just messing around! LOL!

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Kodistict said:

Does anybody know if Top Thrill Dragster is open right now?

We were there Sunday and it was closed pretty much all day.  The ride finally opened around 6:30 and we got in line with about an hour wait.  During that hour wait it broke down several times with one time resulting in a roll back.  After trying to wait it out we left the line without riding.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, flightoffear1996 said:

We were there Sunday and it was closed pretty much all day.  The ride finally opened around 6:30 and we got in line with about an hour wait.  During that hour wait it broke down several times with one time resulting in a roll back.  After trying to wait it out we left the line without riding.

Crazy how much downtime the ride has, I don’t even want to imagine how much they’ve spent on supporting the ride. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ben43065 said:

Crazy how much downtime the ride has, I don’t even want to imagine how much they’ve spent on supporting the ride. 

I don’t remember where this was, but I remember Kinzel saying either on a podcast or a conference call that TTD was the biggest mistake of his career and that the cost per rider is far greater than any other installment. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, DeviousMrMatt said:

Does Kingda Ka have the same issues as TTD? Just curious if that launch coaster is down as much

From what I heard, most likely. Kingda Ka has had its launch cable snap and things like that and has been closed for long periods as well. The same is true for the smaller Xcelerator at Knotts, which was the prototype for this model.

Interestingly Red Force in Spain, a newer and more updated version of this ride (though not quite as tall), uses LIMs instead of a launch cable. However because it is way over in Spain I have no idea how much this change has helped reliability versus the old cable launch models.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

I don’t remember where this was, but I remember Kinzel saying either on a podcast or a conference call that TTD was the biggest mistake of his career and that the cost per rider is far greater than any other installment. 

I think that was in his book, which I have not read.  

What is difficult to measure however is its overall impact on the popularity of CP as a destination park.  Without it would the public be as willing to spend $300/night on hotel rooms and make the costly travel arrangements?  

The fact that it remains certainly indicates management finds value keeping it despite the high maintenance costs.  

• Like 1

It definitely has a large value to the park as it’s arguably the most intimidating rollercoaster there. It’s a huge statement to have a 420 ft tall coaster at your park. I wonder though that if that’ll remain true in 10 or 20 years to justify its maintenance cost.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

What is difficult to measure however is its overall impact on the popularity of CP as a destination park.  Without it would the public be as willing to spend $300/night on hotel rooms and make the costly travel arrangements?  

The fact that it remains certainly indicates management finds value keeping it despite the high maintenance costs.  

I don’t disagree with you or @Ben43065. Honestly I think it’s as amazing of spectacle as it is a ride experience. Clearly they see the value in keeping it. I’m glad they do. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

It is indeed in the book.

image.png

• Like 4