Hersheypark 07/14-07/15/19

KIBeast

So, I went to Hershey for the first time. Something that is on what I would call my amusement park bucket list.

As I am getting older, and with my back issues, I cannot say for sure how long I will be able to do this. The family loves coasters, so Hersheypark seemed like a good idea. I was right.

We got an evening preview, which I think is a nice perk. Our hotel was nice and I enjoyed the chocolate smell permeating the hallways.

I like the look of the park and its setting. My only issue was walking the hilly terrain. I suppose I am spoiled by Kings Island and Cedar Point with their relative flatness. On to the coasters...

The park was not terribly busy, so the only really long wait at all was Laugh Track. I liked the concept and thought it delivered a good ride for the type it is. The very first coaster we rode, though, was Comet. As an older wooden coaster, I fully expected quite the bumpy ride. When we hit the brake run, boy was I in shock. Not only does this coaster deliver a good punch, but it is a really smooth coaster. This disappoints me greatly that The Racer at KI is in the condition that it is.

My favorite coaster is Skyrush. Was very nice seeing it outside of our hotel room. Great speed and fun ride. Farenheit was a very unique experience. The drop reminded me of Maverick, but for a more extended amount of time. Really cool inversions and the third coaster I've been on with a cobra roll. Lightning Racers is such a sweet looking set of coasters. Lots of fun elements with passing over and under each other, plus going head on was definitely one of my favorite points of interest. Very smooth ride as well. It's funny to listen to my 10 year old talk about each coaster because he recognizes the manufacturers.

Great Bear is a cool invert. First one I have seen with a drop like that. Going through the canal was definitely unique. Sidewinder is also another that I enjoyed. It was only the second that I have been on like that, which was Headspin at Geauga Lake. Nice placement on that one, I thought. Storm Runner was blast. Love the top hat into the long drop. This was only my 2nd accelerator coaster from Intamin. I don't think the duel loading station is any more efficient. Cool looking though.

Super Dooper Looper is a real trip back in time. Pretty fun with an iconic loop that is a nice sight while walking through. Trailblazer, I thought, is a pretty fun mine train coaster. I still think my favorite is Adventure Express at KI, but it definitely ranks above the sleepy Cedar Creek Mine Ride. I only took one lap on Wild Mouse. The hairpin turns, at this point in my life are just too rough. Not to mention my leg slammed into the bar between myself and my son. Unfortunately, we did not get to ride the Wildcat. It was open the first evening, but we ran out of time to sneak it in. The following full day that we had, it was closed the entire day.

All in all, Hersheypark is a great Amusement Park. Great settings, great service, and some pretty good food. My only compliant outside of the hilly terrain, was the lack of merchandise that is not candy related. I totally get some of the reasoning behind that, but at the same time, I really would like to have bought a nice coaster t-shirt while there. Not that there were none, but you had to really look for them and not many shops carried them.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, MDMC01 said:

Good stuff. As for skipping Wildcat, it’s an ok coaster, but LR was much better (IMO). Did you like Thunder (Left side) or Lightning (Right side) better? 

Seems I remember liking Thunder better.  

• Like 1