Orion Coming to Kings Island in 2020

I hope Orion will be the best new coaster I rode since Lightning Rod.  The side lateral airtime looks exactly like Fury 325 except being opposite direction.  The POV video shows serious air times.  

Steel Vengeance was really underwhelming considering all the hypes.  With all the new coasters being built next year, I really need to plan my vacations carefully.  :rolleyes:

• Like 5

Am I the only one who doesn't understand the "story?"  They show a meteor, then say it's a meteor storm, then say there's hope in the form of a new planet in the Orion constellation. But then the name of the ride is Orion. And somewhere in there human tests come into play...  what? lol 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Notatroll!!! said:

Not gonna lie I'm a little disappointed...I know I know blueprints were already out yada yada yada but I just dont see why not go for a world record not just a park record.

Totally psyched for this coaster and it very well may be better than MF, but it does make me wonder if it was a decision by Cedar Fair to keep the stats JUST UNDER MF. I mean, about 2 feet taller and 3 MPH faster doesn't seem like alot. Like I said, I'm totally excited for this ride, but I would like to know what powers that be were actually thinking when they designed the ride. Hopefully this coaster is more intense than MF.

I have something interesting to share. Has anyone looked at Flight of Fear's building in the original announcement video. Theres something up about it. Its like... post apocalyptic.

Edit: the sign above the entrance for Flight of Fear says "project" and then something else i cant read.

• Like 1

Just now, presto123 said:

Totally psyched for this coaster and it very well may be better than MF, but it does make me wonder if it was a decision by Cedar Fair to keep the stats JUST UNDER MF. I mean, about 2 feet taller and 3 MPH faster doesn't seem like alot. Like I said, I'm totally excited for this ride, but I would like to know what powers that be were actually thinking when they designed the ride. Hopefully this coaster is more intense than MF.

Is that all it is short of MF? 2 feet shorter and 3mph slower?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MrSourNinja said:

Wow a whole building just for the entrance? That's different...

They repurposed the old Firehawk entrance building. Also, can I mention, the news truck before the queue, should be a WCPO van with a picture of John Matarese in the window.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

They repurposed the old Firehawk entrance building.

You're right. Here is a good look at our new, re-themed area!

entrance.png

Looks like we are going to get a little themeing, no room for a bathroom or flat ride in the near future though. 

• Like 10

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/explore/orion

Thrill-seekers will experience a new level of excitement when they visit Kings Island in 2020. Joining the world-class line-up of roller coasters at the park is Orion®, one of only seven giga coasters in the world, a class of roller coasters having a height or drop of 300-399 feet.

Themed to the park's new Area 72, the ride features the latest prototype vehicle developed by the Project X initiative. Scientists are in a race against time to develop technology capable of weaving transport vehicles through a coming meteor storm and traveling to a new planet within the Orion constellation. For the program to be successful, it needs volunteers to help with testing.

Riders on Orion will plummet down an exhilarating 300-foot first drop, sending them on a high-speed journey over seven more hills and 5,321 feet of track at speeds up to 91 mph on Kings Island's tallest, fastest and longest steel roller coaster. 

Orion was exclusively designed for Kings Island by Switzerland-based Bolliger & Mabillard, which also designed the park's popular Banshee and Diamondback roller coasters

ki-orion-mg1.jpg

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, jcovelli said:

Am I the only one who doesn't understand the "story?"  They show a meteor, then say it's a meteor storm, then say there's hope in the form of a new planet in the Orion constellation. But then the name of the ride is Orion. And somewhere in there human tests come into play...  what? lol 

I'm with you on this one. The storyline is just bad. After all the time spent with the clues and hints, then that is the storyline. I also was like... what did he just say?

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, snowflake said:

Height of Hills: 287 feet, 174 feet, 202 feet, 56 feet, 147 feet, 125 feet, 90 feet, 83 feet  

Ah I see, the hill is 287 feet tall and has a 300' drop. So is that a grey area as far as being a giga concerned? Is it drop height or hill height that's gets it that title?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fyrfyter said:

I'm with you on this one. The storyline is just bad. After all the time spent with the clues and hints, then that is the storyline. I also was like... what did he just say?

hemed to the park's new Area 72, the ride features the latest prototype vehicle developed by the Project X initiative. Scientists are in a race against time to develop technology capable of weaving transport vehicles through a coming meteor storm and traveling to a new planet within the Orion constellation. For the program to be successful, it needs volunteers to help with testing.

This makes more sense, this should have been in the video lol

• Like 6

Just now, Notatroll!!! said:

Ah I see, the hill is 287 feet tall and has a 300' drop. So is that a grey area as far as being a giga concerned? Is it drop height or hill height that's gets it that title?

one of only seven giga coasters in the world, a class of roller coasters having a height or drop of 300-399 feet.

So says the park. 

• Like 2

Just now, jcovelli said:

hemed to the park's new Area 72, the ride features the latest prototype vehicle developed by the Project X initiative. Scientists are in a race against time to develop technology capable of weaving transport vehicles through a coming meteor storm and traveling to a new planet within the Orion constellation. For the program to be successful, it needs volunteers to help with testing.

This makes more sense, this should have been in the video lol

definitely better...I hope whatever theming they add is coherent, not just random stuff pulled from the FoF hangar.

• Like 1