Orion Coming to Kings Island in 2020

Just now, presto123 said:

MF has a drop of 300 as well. First hill height of 310. Here are the hill heights on MF. 310 169 182 105 68.  Orion's hills heights are bigger.

Did it take 19 years of technology and a different manufacturer to get there? Shorter ride length but a longer duration...

I think the tale of whether this is on par or better with Fury is how that helix at the end rides.   Fury is great before and after it's meandering helix so if this one is forceful it could on par.  Really if you take Fury's helix out the length would be very similar.  Sad though this doesn't have anything extra to it... like no tunnels, splashdowns, or dives under a bridge.  I'm sure it's gonna be great fun though regardless.

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, Notatroll!!! said:

I dont wanna be "that guy" but I think they might be trying to sneak one in on us calling it a giga. At least according to this site.

Screenshot_20190815-230326_Chrome.jpg

For my money, if a coaster has a 300 ft. drop, it's a giga. No doubt about it....

• Like 6

I'm excited for Orion. I was hoping for Polaris, but hey I'm sure they'll use that on a future ride in the chain somewhere. I love that Kings Island is part of the Giga family now as far as top parks in the chain. The only question I have is what is the overall height for Orion?  I know they're advertising a 300' foot drop, but what is the actual height?

• Like 5

So, the leaked blueprints were legit. And DustinTheNow's prediction was nearly spot on, save there isn't really a trim brake before the big floater hill and he had the evac stairs on the wrong side.

This is gonna be a great ride, my only complaint would be the short-ish length (only about the same as Leviathan in terms of ride time). The elements on this coaster look a lot better than Leviathan's though. Also I hope there are as many trees around this ride eventually as there were in the animation, if that ends up being the case night rides will be epic. This will probably be the best coaster in the park to me, at least at daytime (Beast after dark is hard to beat for almost ANY coaster). I will need to ride it though before I can truly make that call. Also, 1650 pph. This thing is going to eat lines as much as Banshee!

Also, I did a bit of math a few days ago- I would guess this new coaster is gonna be $30 million or so, based on what Leviathan cost in 2012. I then estimated how much it would cost to build the coaster to the length of Fury 325 or so...it would likely cost $37 million then, I can understand why they may have gone a bit short on length then: $7 million is a lot of extra money, and a longer coaster probably would not have attracted as many extra guests as it would need to make up for that. Plus, I did some research, and Cedar Fair has only spent more than $30 million for a new coaster twice: Millennium Force in 2000, adjusted for inflation, was $38 million and Top Thrill Dragster in 2003 was $33 million. Since then Fury 325 and Copperhead Strike- both at Carowinds- were at but did not go over $30m. (Fury 325 probably should have been like $38 million based on my calculations but apparently from what I have heard the Carolinas gave Cedar Fair a deal or something and helped pay for it a bit) I would assume Cedar Fair doesn't usually spend more than $30m on new roller coasters.

Edit: Also, for how this ride is gonna be 3 minutes, my guess: 1 minute lift hill. 1 minute ride. 1 minute on brake run.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just now, jcovelli said:

I don't understand all this "giga" stuff. Technically there is no coaster classification called giga, it's just a random term that was created to describe something that didn't exist before. That means that no is correct answer to what a giga is or isn't.   

I dont agree with that assessment. Maybe I'm a stickler for stats idk. Will just be weird seeing a ride being called a giga with a hill height under 300'. All the other parks will make fun of us...lol

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Shawn Meyer said:

I'm excited for Orion. I was hoping for Polaris, but hey I'm sure they'll use that on a future ride in the chain somewhere. I love that Kings Island is part of the Giga family now as far as top parks in the chain. The only question I have is what is the overall height for Orion?  I know they're advertising a 300' foot drop, but what is the actual height?

287 feet tall

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Notatroll!!! said:

I dont agree with that assessment. Maybe I'm a stickler for stats idk. Will just be weird seeing a ride being called a giga with a hill height under 300'. All the other parks will make fun of us...lol

We will be unique though and have a giga coaster that the hill isnt over 300ft tall

What other park can claim “The World’s Shortest Giga”?  

Come on guys, this is a record that isn’t likely to be broken for many, many decades.  If you go for the tallest the best you can hope for is a few years before you get knocked down.   Orion will be a legend for a very long time.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3