Orion Coming to Kings Island in 2020

7 minutes ago, Jt2455 said:

Apparantly this site has turned into CNN and deletes posts that have different opinion. What a shame.

Yeah, they should appreciate all of our opinions and let people post their feelings and not forget that they wouldn't have the success of this site without the members. They may erase this, too. 

• Like 2

"Critical" Response Incoming... But please understand where I am coming from.

I'm excited about the ride, but I can't deny the fact that I feel envy in my heart in a way. I know people say "be appreciative for what we got and be happy we got a coaster at least." But it's hard to put how I feel into words, hopefully, you guys can understand...

It just feels like sometimes Cedar Point always gets the record breakers, the next big thing. Yes, its a Giga and it looks great. But you guys know it would of been great to say "My Park has the best___________, Its the tallest, fastest, longest....." I'm not saying I wanted a 350 foot ride with speeds close to 100 mph and a 7,000 ft layout. It's just hard to think how a ride built 20 years ago like Millennium Force is somehow "Taller and Faster" and Yes, I know this ride will be better than MF, but something about is just weird, It felt like Cedar Fair had the opportunity to give us something "Different".

I know Cedar Point is the flagship park and everything, but it's like "your really giving us a 300 ft drop?" "a lift hill under 300 ft?"  I'm not trying to be critical but it's just weird, It feels like this coaster is hardly a Giga. Maybe I'm selfish but it feels like CF just didn't give us the best possible. Why make a Giga that's lift hill is under that 300 ft? Why is it hardly 100 ft longer than Diamondback? It just feels like we were "budgeted" very hard but CF does not mind spending big bucks on CP to get them the record breakers. It's just been rubbing me the wrong way.

I'm really trying hard not to be overly critical and I'm trying to be as optimistic as possible.

We were the last major CF park to receive a Giga, I guess I just thought since we have been waiting for a long time, they would of blessed us with something "Bigger".

Either way, Im hyped. I will enjoy this ride and appreciated it for what it is, I am excited about it, but at the same time, I had to express how I really feel I guess...

• Like 14
  • Haha 2

Just now, Logan Goddard said:

@Notatroll!!! quick question do you consider Apollo chariot and Phantom's revenge hypers? Because if anything I think drop height matters way more then hill height because the drop determines speed.

Idk never rode them nor do I know their stats off hand. I'm a local Kings Island guy, been to CP once rode MF and TTD, been to universal florida a few times. Not a coster expert by any means just speculating what I see by definitions. No hate here on the new ride.

7 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

What other park can claim “The World’s Shortest Giga”?  

Come on guys, this is a record that isn’t likely to be broken for many, many decades.  If you go for the tallest the best you can hope for is a few years before you get knocked down.   Orion will be a legend for a very long time.

Plus who knows it could be a ride that has surprise G-Forces that may amaze you

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Notatroll!!! said:

Idk never rode them nor do I know their stats off hand. I'm a local Kings Island guy, been to CP once rode MF and TTD, been to universal florida a few times. Not a coster expert by any means just speculating what I see by definitions. No hate here on the new ride.

I have been to quite a few parks all over the country and my personal opinion is that the lift hill height isnt the deciding factor. Its the drop or the launch or even the G-Forces that make for a great ride. It is the overall experience that makes the ride great in my opinion

• Like 6

Even though I've voiced my opinion that Cedar Fair could've invested a little more to make this phenomenal, it still looks to be very good. To put Orion's elements in perspective; The second hill is higher than Banshee, the treble clef turnaround looks amazing and is almost as high as DB. The 5th hill is higher than Vortex and the helix is almost 20' higher than Mystic Timbers. There is a lot of height on this ride.

• Like 10

Orion has a longer drop than Millennium Force. Just because we have terrain that isn't completely flat and they were able to use the lay of the land to the ride's advantage doesn't mean they cheaped out. Drop height is infinitely more important than track height. If track height was the thing that made a ride great, The Beast would be laughably bad as it is never more than 30 or 40 feet off the ground besides the two lift hills.

• Like 15

4 minutes ago, kirbias1 said:

Even though I've voiced my opinion that Cedar Fair could've invested a little more to make this phenomenal, it still looks to be very good. To put Orion's elements in perspective; The second hill is higher than Banshee, the treble clef turnaround looks amazing and is almost as high as DB. The 5th hill is higher than Vortex and the helix is almost 20' higher than Mystic Timbers. There is a lot of height on this ride.

I would think that would bleed off quite a bit of it’s speed with those massive hills.

1 minute ago, Waltny said:

I would think that would bleed off quite a bit of it’s speed with those massive hills.

I suspect it will. I don't expect this to have the relentless speed from start to finish that MF has. I still prefer MF over Fury but hopefully this keeps it's pacing better than Fury's "sleeper" second half. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, collin.klopfstein said:

For my first coaster announcement, THAT WAS AMAZING!!!!! I’m totally going to the 2024 RMC announcement ;)

That was also my first coaster announcement, and I agree IT WAS AMAZING!!! The only problem was that I was at the park for the whole day and my legs where on their last legs. :lol:

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, homestar92 said:

If track height was the thing that made a ride great, The Beast would be laughably bad as it is never more than 30 or 40 feet off the ground besides the two lift hills.

And on this note, the terrain utilization on The Beast is so drastic that I believe the highest point from lowest point on the ride is 201 ft? (At least thats what I remember Don saying in a backstage tour once).

In other words, if it was built on a completely flat surface, it'd be a wooden hyper!

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Mystic1017 said:

I have been to quite a few parks all over the country and my personal opinion is that the lift hill height isnt the deciding factor. Its the drop or the launch or even the G-Forces that make for a great ride. It is the overall experience that makes the ride great in my opinion

Absolutely agree. I've rode several rides over the years that weren't record breakers or have crazy stats but were some of the most fun rides because of their layout and design and actually (at least for me) they seem better because it's that unexpectedness that makes them great. So not knocking this ride until I ride it.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

What other park can claim “The World’s Shortest Giga”?  

Come on guys, this is a record that isn’t likely to be broken for many, many decades.  If you go for the tallest the best you can hope for is a few years before you get knocked down.   Orion will be a legend for a very long time.

Kings Dominion still holds that record considering I305 is 5,100ft in length.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, JubJester said:

Want to go to detail? Or are you just going to throw a dull statement out there because you can't think of anything.

Nothing really stands out about this ride to me.  I was also hoping for low to the ground, tight twists and turns rather than more airtime.  Not really sure where the animosity came from, I'm glad people are happy about it.  Maybe my mind will change once I've ridden it.  Sorry I hurt your feelings.

• Like 5

It's a giga.

Are there taller and faster out there? Yeah, but not by enough to really matter. It's tall and fast like it's supposed to be. It will probably be reliable and lines will be short. 1 out of 7 in the entire world, and it's right there at KI.

Just in terms of coasters, I'd take a park with Orion, Diamondback, Banshee, Beast, Mystic Timbers, and Flight of Fear over any east coast park not named Cedar Point. Add an RMC in 3-4 years and it's close.

• Like 15

• IndyGuy4KI unpinned and unfeatured this topic