Orion Coming to Kings Island in 2020

2 hours ago, brent said:

Yes, surprisingly it seems like the overall GP reaction on media sites is negative at worst and apathetic at best. Sure there are extreme “lives” and “hates” but there’s an awful lot of “seems like a taller Diamond Back” for a new addition. Can’t be the reaction the park was striving for. 

Which media sites are you checking for GP reaction? The initial Twitter post about it looks like it's getting about 80-90% positive comments, with most of the negative comments coming from the same people over and over again. Their posts since then regarding track showing up have had no negative comments. Plus the huge crowd at the announcement seemed fired up, and a couple national news outlets (CNN and USA Today) ran stories on it.

• Like 9

People said the same thing about Fury and Intimidator. Most people really just dont know what they are talking about and sadly most people are more negative than positive. When it opens I'm sure people will love it.

Also see MT. People weren't excited about that. It is a rinse and repeat cycle, and I am sure the park knows this.

• Like 9

19 minutes ago, Turtlepower said:

Which media sites are you checking for GP reaction? The initial Twitter post about it looks like it's getting about 80-90% positive comments, with most of the negative comments coming from the same people over and over again. Their posts since then regarding track showing up have had no negative comments. Plus the huge crowd at the announcement seemed fired up, and a couple national news outlets (CNN and USA Today) ran stories on it.

People react to negativity more than positivity. If there is one negative response out of 20, that is the one that seems the loudest and all of a sudden the response is perceived as negative.

Orion is going to be enjoyed (probably loved) by the vast majority of riders who will proceed to live their lives in peace. The haters are going to be the ones who make sure they are heard.

• Like 8

I think this concern that a hyper and a giga are the same is unfounded anyway.  Leviathan and Behemoth are very different coasters as are Fury and Intimidator.  I expect Orion to be a speed machine and the lack of a MCBR should make it better overall layout than Diamondback which loses some of its greatness after the MCBR. 

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Rivertown Rider said:

I think this concern that a hyper and a giga are the same is unfounded anyway.  Leviathan and Behemoth are very different coasters as are Fury and Intimidator.  I expect Orion to be a speed machine and the lack of a MCBR should make it better overall layout than Diamondback which loses some of its greatness after the MCBR. 

Yeah, it looks like this coaster might actually have an intense helix, it looks fast, it's tall, it may have no trims, it looks like you get some sweet laterals on that first wave turn, what is there not to love about this coaster?

• Like 5

20 hours ago, LovinMeSomeBanshee said:

I know they'll do whatever they can to appease the homeowners on the other side of the river, but I wish this thing could be heard from all across the park.  Just as a reminder that it's there, no matter where you're at.

20 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

I don't disagree.  I'm just stating the facts.  

It's actually a bigger problem than most are lead to believe.  I believe the park's covenant with the locals is that Diamondback would not operate outside of public park hours.  Remember how they had ERT until midnight last year and DB was shut down a few minutes early to make for darn sure it wasn't running after midnight?  That's why.  It's also one of the reasons for the tunnel on the back end of Mystic.  It's a cool feature, but the reason why it is where it is is for sound reduction. 

And Wonderland had to retroactively add sand to Leviathan to quiet it down after it was operational due to all the new houses being constructed across the street...even though the park was there first...

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Kodistict said:

Yeah, it looks like this coaster might actually have an intense helix, it looks fast, it's tall, it may have no trims, it looks like you get some sweet laterals on that first wave turn, what is there not to love about this coaster?

If anything it may just have a trim like Banshee does to keep it at a consistent speed going through a certain portion of the ride with varying weather conditions etc. I doubt it will be anything too harsh.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Turtlepower said:

For me it’s personal Facebook friends, various FB posts from news pages, YouTube and tweets. I did not expect a lot of the reactions I see. I def expected it from enthusiasts, but seeing the GP point out things that enthusiasts see is surprising. You’re right though, most comments are just tags of other people, so I assume they’re excited. Just not the reactions I expected. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FreedomPenguin said:

Is that a solid capacity? How many hour wait can you foresee. The good thing ive come to understand is, B&M giga shouldn't be down very much compared to intamins coasters. 

I don’t expect there to be long lines, Fury 325 usually is almost a walk on the 4 times I’ve been to Carowinds.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, thatguyfromohio said:

fa2be6eb4a76cc9d4aae4a26fa6ad1f1.jpg
For those who have wondered the total cost of Orion, they have announced that it costs about as much as it did to build the park in 1972. So probably 30mil or less.
If they would build the exact same park in 1972 today, it would cost $184million!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe he said it cost MORE to build Orion than the whole park. I’m still assuming it’s in the $30 million ball park though.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, King Ding Dong said:

Diamaondback and Banshee have nearly the same capacity.  What were those lines like opening year?  I would expect similar lines if the popularity is the same.  I guess a lot will depend on FL+ policies as well.  

I feel like DBs capacity has dropped a bit. Banshee hardly ever has lines I feel like.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, KI FANATIC 37 said:

I feel like DBs capacity has dropped a bit. Banshee hardly ever has lines I feel like.

But none of that is relevant to how long the lines will be for this ride opening year when nearly everyone in the park will want to ride it and multiple times if possible.   My guess is 1.5 - 2.0 on a typical day as once a line approaches 2 hours most people won’t get in line and move one.   

Unless there are extenuating circumstances such as rain delay, dead park etc. I don’t see it getting much shorter than that especially with KI’s general FL+ policy of walk-on at all costs.  Of course that policy has a lot of variance but in general that seems to be the case from my observations.  

• Like 4

• IndyGuy4KI unpinned and unfeatured this topic