Orion Coming to Kings Island in 2020

21 hours ago, decyferite said:

Probably not, they would still focus on the fact that it's short, or not as fast... It never ends

It's like this with most fandoms these days. There are just some people who want every new thing from their fandom to be tailor-made just for them and if something doesn't meet their expectations, they rant it about it endlessly online, making it seem like a much larger issue than it really is. 

Having said that, I certainly don't think everyone who isn't impressed by Orion is like that. Most of that I notice from randoms on Facebook pages anyway. It is perfectly okay to not like a ride, but there will always an extremely vocal minority who don't care to admit that nothing will ever be good enough to match the expectations they've built up in their heads. For those, Orion was always going to be too short, too basic, not ambitious enough. 

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 12:40 PM, TombRaiderFTW said:

I'm suddenly having flashbacks to The Interpreter saying years ago that if KI wanted to build a giga, they'd first have to start by digging a hole. If I remember correctly, it was explained later that this had something to do with height restrictions due to the park being close to an airport or a runway or something.

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 12:52 PM, IndyGuy4KI said:

IndyGuy4KI's personal thoughts. I think they did not want to go higher because they do not want to go above the Eiffel Tower. I could be wrong, but I think that drives it more than not beating CP.

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 1:06 PM, Rallyomalley said:

So that begs the question.  Why is NOT topping the ET so important?

Knowing Terpy, I think his comment about digging a hole was his way of saying in reference to what others have said about not wanting to go above the Eiffel Tower..yet Drop Tower is taller than Eiffel Tower by 1 foot...but I get the point people are making - WindSeeker and Drop Tower are thin cylindrical rides that do not overtake the look of the Eiffel Tower.  A coaster greater than 314 feet would...I think people have already confirmed that with current technology on roller coaster heights that there is no FAA restriction, so they could have gone higher if they want to.

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 12:40 PM, Kodistict said:

If they break records, they would have to invest more money for a record that would probably only last two or three seasons.

But the coaster wars have been basically over for years now...in recent years a Cedar Fair record breaking coaster has only been broke by...another Cedar Fair park....who owns every giga in North America...um Cedar Fair - not Six Flags, not Busch gardens, not Disney, not Universal...and that all but confirms that the industry has ended the coaster wars for now (it will make a return as these thing are cyclical), but for now, their data and analysis of the numbers are suggesting that is not what brings in the attendance and revenue and we will see that reflected in Cedar Fair offerings...

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Technically if this giga wanted to break any real records, it would have either have to be taller than 367 feet and faster than 112 MPH. Those are the records of Red Force which is the current tallest and fastest giga coaster. Or they could make it the longest giga, but Steel Dragon 2000 is so long, that ours would have to be super long as well. These records would be incredibly hard for Kings Island to beat, and I could see B&M not willing to make a coaster that tall. Breaking those records would also be very expensive. I know, I know, people are going to say that Carowinds still advertises Fury 325 as the world’s tallest and fastest giga coaster, but I don’t see Kings Island “lying” about a newly built coaster because people would accuse them of lying about its records. Also, for those who say Red Force does not count as a giga coaster, Kings Island counted it as one of the seven gigas in the world when they announced Orion, so they would definitely not be able to pull that off. The park could have broken North American records, though, but those are not nearly as interesting.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, collin.klopfstein said:

Guys remember from the millennium force promo video, those meteor looking things go towards earth , stop for a second and turn into the logo and then hit earth?? I think Kings Island is tying it in with the whole meteor leave earth thing!

C4AE2893-27E3-4F10-A159-A7C7EDF42E5B.MOV

Maybe one of the meteors landed in Kings Island, if so, I wonder where the other 22 are going? :lol: We will get 22 more gigas. =)

• Like 3

9 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

But none of that is relevant to how long the lines will be for this ride opening year when nearly everyone in the park will want to ride it and multiple times if possible.   My guess is 1.5 - 2.0 on a typical day as once a line approaches 2 hours most people won’t get in line and move one.   

Unless there are extenuating circumstances such as rain delay, dead park etc. I don’t see it getting much shorter than that especially with KI’s general FL+ policy of walk-on at all costs.  Of course that policy has a lot of variance but in general that seems to be the case from my observations.  

He didn't ask that question. So I answered with input about the lines for Diamondback and Banshee. He said he expected the lines for Orion to be similar to those rides during their opening season. From my experience, both Banshee and DB had a lot of walk ons throughout their first season.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Fishely said:

I feel like the music playing in this video may be the station music.

Kings Island Twitter Post

Could be, but I’m not sure. Sounds like I’ve heard that music somewhere before, like generic music for a YouTube video or something. Also sounds like “Fireflies” by Owl City.

Also, that train looks super cool (and long!).

• Like 1

I still feel like it's weird that the lift hills for Orion and Diamondback will both be facing the exact same direction. That's going to look so strange on the skyline and is doing nothing to help quiet the GP's obvious 'just a bigger Diamondback' commentary. Some people have suggested they might not have wanted to make it bigger than Eiffel Tower because of how that would affect the skyline, but it doesn't seem like they're giving that much consideration.

• Like 5

I've calmed down after the weekend of disappointment. I showed the video to most of my family while camping and got mixed emotions from them. Most were like, "So it's basically another Diamondback" I was like well, technically it's a giga, but yeah. Lol 

• Confused 6

So it's funny when people state that it's a bigger Diamondback. So what if it is? It's a new dang coaster! >=D That's like saying MT is a smaller Beast. People are just goofs these days. Lmao xD a good comp, is that I don't remember anyone saying SoB was just another Beast? I know there was the loop, but this is still a groundbreaker for KI in terms of speed... Which I guess some people don't like? Baffling.. -.-

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, qpDarKqp said:

So it's funny when people state that it's a bigger Diamondback. So what if it is? It's a new dang coaster! >=D That's like saying MT is a smaller Beast. People are just goofs these days. Lmao xD a good comp, is that I don't remember anyone saying SoB was just another Beast? I know there was the loop, but this is still a groundbreaker for KI in terms of speed... Which I guess some people don't like? Baffling.. -.-

I get what you're saying. But, I feel most of the disappointment stems from there not really being anything new with this coaster. Yes, most us will ride and enjoy it. However, they def could've done a better job with this. A record breaker wasn't needed IMO. But, I def see where alot of the disappointment comes from. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

Has anyone checked for any new blueprints recently? I’d like to see if there’s anything we could find that wasn’t announced.

This is my first post. I’ve been following along for the past couple of months but finally decided to join the discussion!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

• IndyGuy4KI unpinned and unfeatured this topic