Orion Coming to Kings Island in 2020

11 minutes ago, homestar92 said:

Random abandoned items (especially bags) lying on the ground are viewed by park security (and virtually all law enforcement bodies) as possible security threats. I would highly advise that you NOT do this.

I usually don't bring stuff to Kings Island, it was only those two times, when I rode Banshee it was a soda, and when I rode Firehawk I didn't want to buy lockers because I don't usually spent time back there. But thanks for letting me know.

• Like 2

How crazy has the world become? I mean, not to go down a rabbit hole of crap that we probably don't need to go down on this particular forum, but geez. 99% it was someone who was on a ride that left their bag there waiting for them to get off the ride... no big deal. But yeah, we're on such high alert as a society now. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, collin.klopfstein said:

Track update: track from this morning is gone, the giant weird yellow thingy that picks track up is above another piece of track, looks like either transfer or brake track, but it’s about to pick that piece of track up and load it on a trailer 

I think they'll just be pumping out station/brake/transfer track first before other pieces of track since that's usually what they start on. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Kodistict said:

Just a question, the track is at the construction site, but isn't track usually in the parking lot when it first arrives?

Sometimes yes. I know Banshee was out there. I wonder if they will just take the track back to the site since there is a lot of room?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

Here's one other stat that wasn't talked about.

As well as being in the top 10 for speed, Orion will also have the 7th largest drop in the world

And people are whining over this ride? WTH

If I could I would ban them all to a life of only KK

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, lifetimecoaster said:

The whole locker thing is entertaining to me. I have my zipper pocket cargo shorts. If it doesn't fit in my zipper pockets, I don't take it to the park. We've done visits just me, my wife and I, and both kids, my wife, and I. We don't carry a bunch of stuff with us at the park. I'm not really sure either what else would need to be carried!! 

So, I too wear cargo pants, but... I’m probably (unfortunately) going to go with a locker my first few rides on Orion, just to be safe as it seems to be more “extreme” than the other KI coasters (do note my stuff has survived Banshee, Diamondback, and IIRC, Xtreme Skyflyer- the last is not a coaster, obviously, but I think I left some of my belongings in my cargo shorts during the ride). And at this Point, I also plan on getting that roaming locker for my CP trip (as I did last year) as I feel a lot of their coasters are more extreme than KI’s (namely Millennium Force, Top Thrill Dragster, Valravn, Steel Vengeance and Rougarou; Wicked Twister and Maverick are possible maybes).

Also, I totally thought that RCDB pic said “Coaster through the Clouds Shambhala” (as one name) when I first read it lol.

EDIT: Though on second thought, my stuff might be fine in the shorts. Thoughts?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DustinTheNow said:

Well, if you want to be very technical, Orion has a 300.9 ft drop, making it diffintively the 7th biggest drop. I guess RCDB didn’t see the blueprints. Lol

Thats precisely what I was thinking. I was a little surprised the park didn't round up to 301. They easily could have and wouldn't really have been dishonest to do so.

300.9 would definitively put it above both I305 and MF in terms of drop for 7th, and if we exclude the two reverse free-falls as anomalies it would put it at 5th biggest drop...

HOWEVER, if we're to include Red Force (which does not have an official drop listed, which is why its not showing up in the rankings - despite the fact it is reasonable to estimate around 350 ft), then Orion would fall at 6th biggest drop on a full-circuit coaster, and 4th biggest on one with a lift hill...

EDIT: One thing that is important to note is the rankings depend on whether a "tie" constitutes multiple spots, or two coasters get lumped together into the same placing. (Superman and Tower of Terror II both at 3rd, and then Fury at "4th") . Wikipedia does the former, RCDB does the latter. 

• Like 5

12 hours ago, MDMC01 said:

So, I too wear cargo pants, but... I’m probably (unfortunately) going to go with a locker my first few rides on Orion, just to be safe as it seems to be more “extreme” than the other KI coasters (do note my stuff has survived Banshee, Diamondback, and IIRC, Xtreme Skyflyer- the last is not a coaster, obviously, but I think I left some of my belongings in my cargo shorts during the ride). And at this Point, I also plan on getting that roaming locker for my CP trip (as I did last year) as I feel a lot of their coasters are more extreme than KI’s (namely Millennium Force, Top Thrill Dragster, Valravn, Steel Vengeance and Rougarou; Wicked Twister and Maverick are possible maybes).

Also, I totally thought that RCDB pic said “Coaster through the Clouds Shambhala” (as one name) when I first read it lol.

EDIT: Though on second thought, my stuff might be fine in the shorts. Thoughts?

https://www.amazon.com/Wrangler-Authentics-Performance-Comfort-Granite/dp/B075MYDWW2/ref=asc_df_B075MYDWW2/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312854202931&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4505551284300468945&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9016137&hvtargid=pla-557408763095&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=61226842054&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=312854202931&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4505551284300468945&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9016137&hvtargid=pla-557408763095

Those are what I wear. Make sure they're zipped up before you get on the coaster, and you'll lose nothing. The only complaint I can give for them is that I carry a giant vape, and after 11 miles, I usually have a bruise on my knee from it repeatedly bouncing off the same spot on my knee as I walk. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Maverick44 said:

Someone above stated there will be no bins in the station. no sure if this is a fact or not.

Yeah, which is why this site has a general rule about citing the source of information when it is stated as fact rather than speculation. Although it was said with great self-assurance, there was no citation as to why the poster is the only one here who “knows” that so I’m willing to still dismiss it as speculation at this point. 

As for cargos, yeah, you gotta be a little careful what you choose to carry in them. Even something like a chapstick can be a problem. I used to carry one loose in my cargo pocket and couldn’t figure out for some time why I had a very specific bruise on my thigh all the time. Once I did figure out it was the chapstick, I started carrying it inside my changepurse in my pocket instead. Just enough padding to fix the problem apparently 

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, lifetimecoaster said:

Thank you for posting this. I have been looking for a good pair of zipper shorts for a long time.

@lifetimecoaster While most experienced park goers don’t use lockers often there are very valid reasons to need one.  Photographers with an SLR, mixed weather days to store layers/rain gear, store prizes/souvenirs/ride photos, sunscreen, hats, contact cases, sunglasses when night hits, asthma inhalers, epipens etc. The souvenir bottles are certainly an issue.   Some just have more needs than others. 

While we carry cheap throwaway ponchos on rainy days, there have been a couple of occasions I have purchased lockers especially early and late season when the temps can change drastically.  

Also most women and some men, wouldn’t be caught dead in cargo shorts, in part due to the ridiculous online shaming of them.  

@Hampshire24 Those Wranglers are popular and certainly a good choice.  Another option that my boys and I use are the BSA shorts/trunks as they can go straight from waterpark to dry park without changing.   No metal so waterslide safe, have a drawstring in addition to optional belt loops, one pocked has a dry bag on a teather which is great for your key fob and come in a much larger variety of sizes and about $22 as well.  

• Like 2

LOCKER: Rode Banshee in late July and noticed a ton of bags laying on the ground just outside the Banshee entrance. Has this become common this season or was this an atypical day? 

ORION RIDE CAPACITY: the stated ride capacity is 1650 riders/hour, which is identical to Banshee and slightly more than Diamondback (1620 r/h). This is comparison of stated/expected rider capacity at the time each was built. I cannot find updated actual stats on Diamondback. I find that Diamondback lines are "always" a longer wait the Banshee, and Banshee line seems to move faster and be a better people eater. Surely 30 r/h difference doesn't make that big of a difference? Is it mostly the bins or is there another reason that the Diamondback doesn't (seemingly) chew through lines as fast as the Banshee? I wondered if maybe more of the GP is willing to ride Diamondback than Banshee (maybe because its inverted or because it has inversions?).

I'm hopeful that the rider capacity / line movement is more like Banshee. :-) 

• Like 3

• IndyGuy4KI unpinned and unfeatured this topic