Orion Coming to Kings Island in 2020

IM assuming those numbers are if the coaster is running to its max. I feel like Diamondback often has all three trains stacked, which would decrease its hourly capacity. I'm assuming that DB does not get 1620 per hour over the past few years bc of the length of time it has been taking to dispatch the trains. I think a lot of it has to do with the bins to be honest.

• Like 4

IM assuming those numbers are if the coaster is running to its max. I feel like Diamondback often has all three trains stacked, which would decrease its hourly capacity. I'm assuming that DB does not get 1620 per hour over the past few years bc of the length of time it has been taking to dispatch the trains. I think a lot of it has to do with the bins to be honest.

I agree because everyone has to stroll over and deposit their goods and I understand you don’t want to be paying all the time for a locker but I try to travel lightly while in the park if possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, FlyMartyFly said:

I agree because everyone has to stroll over and deposit their goods and I understand you don’t want to be paying all the time for a locker but I try to travel lightly while in the park if possible.

I believe since Diamondback opened they added seatbelts. Diamondback line would move extremely fast when it didn’t have the seat belts. 

• Like 3

Just be glad its seat belts and not those darn steel cord magnets that the B&M hypers initially had.

Back after Raging Bull & Nitro opened, the park had retractable steel cables added to each seat with a magnet at the end.  The magnet attached to a metal rivet on the clamshell.  If the magnet wouldn't attach - no ride.

Well, those things wreaked havoc on loading.  Not to mention the steel cable would slice hands and fingers.  Ultimately they went away - I think - in favor of seatbelts and visual lines at the base of the restraint.

nitro6.jpg

• Like 5

I have seen DB pumping trains out before the one in front of it has gotten to the helix on multiple trips his season. 

I also feel KI is one of the best when it comes to capacity, even when there is an occasional stacking. There is a balance between capacity and safety which we have to consider too. 99% of the capacity issues is usually riders not getting in correctly, not trying the test seat,  or not putting stuff away.

KI makes other parks (even other CF parks) look bad with KI's great capacity. I think we are spoiled in that regard and most KI fans don't realize it. 

Getting back on topic, I am ok with no bins in the station for Orion. I thought it was silly when they started that at Banshee, but after seeing how much it helped the ride ops and capacity, I was fine with it. 

• Like 11

12 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

I have seen DB pumping trains out before the one in front of it has gotten to the helix on multiple trips his season. 

I also feel KI is one of the best when it comes to capacity, even when there is an occasional stacking. There is a balance between capacity and safety which we have to consider too. 99% of the capacity issues is usually riders not getting in correctly, not trying the test seat,  or not putting stuff away.

KI makes other parks (even other CF parks) look bad with KI's great capacity. I think we are spoiled in that regard and most KI fans don't realize it. 

Getting back on topic, I am ok with no bins in the station for Orion. I thought it was silly when they started that at Banshee, but after seeing how much it helped the ride ops and capacity, I was fine with it. 

Call me the minority but I wouldn't mind if they removed the bins from Diamondback

• Like 11

4 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

Call me the minority but I wouldn't mind if they removed the bins from Diamondback

Me either it will just suck for the people who have the plastic souvenir drink cups because of locker rental. I always get the paper cup that way i dont have to carry a drink cup all the time or get a locker for my cup. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, kikid74 said:

ORION RIDE CAPACITY: the stated ride capacity is 1650 riders/hour, which is identical to Banshee and slightly more than Diamondback (1620 r/h). This is comparison of stated/expected rider capacity at the time each was built. I cannot find updated actual stats on Diamondback. I find that Diamondback lines are "always" a longer wait the Banshee, and Banshee line seems to move faster and be a better people eater. Surely 30 r/h difference doesn't make that big of a difference? Is it mostly the bins or is there another reason that the Diamondback doesn't (seemingly) chew through lines as fast as the Banshee? I wondered if maybe more of the GP is willing to ride Diamondback than Banshee (maybe because its inverted or because it has inversions?).

Banshee loading more quickly is a combination of factors. In part, it's the slightly higher capacity. But also, part of it is the lack of bins, and part of it is due to the trains being half as long, which means less walking for the ride ops to check restraints.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

@lifetimecoaster: My old cargo pants had zippers, but my new ones have buttons and deep pockets (I’ve successfully ridden Banshee and Diamondback this year). Though I originally wanted another pair of zipper pants when my old pairs broke down (both zipper issues, IIRC), I like my new button pants and it’s really nice to go through the no-bag line at the metal detectors.

• Like 3

I prefer the overflap/two button pockets as well. They’re easier to get into the pockets when I want, the pockets are roomier and all my crap is held on the outside of the shorts/pants leg rather than the inside (so more comfortable), and I am much less likely to accidentally leave them hanging wide open on a ride (even with one button open the flap keeps things more secure than an unzipped pocket). I always thought I wanted zipper ones until I used them a few times. 

• Like 3

I think Orion will be more similar to Banshee than Diamondback since it's 4 across seating rather than 2. Just makes the lines move quicker to me.

Also I assumed there wouldn't be bins from the beginning but some type of zippered pouches would be nice for cell phones and small items. I've never been lucky enough to go to Cedar Point (yet!) but isn't that what Steel Vengeance has? Anyone see that as a possibility?

• Like 4

7 hours ago, flightoffear1996 said:

I believe since Diamondback opened they added seatbelts. Diamondback line would move extremely fast when it didn’t have the seat belts. 

The 2014 season started without seatbelts but were installed on Diamondback within the first operating month that year.  Initially there was a delay, but it has improved since.  The seatbelts were installed for valid reasons.

The first reference of Diamondstack on this forum was June 16, 2013, but was used prior to reference here and had stacking issues long before the seat belts were installed.

One can search this forum and find where people have done some unofficial timing of dispatches and see that the seatbelts have not increased the dispatch times...ride op records would confirm this as well...as many have said in the past, for the most part delays are guest driven with issues other than seatbelts...

And as Brad has said, we really are spoiled at KI in terms of ride ops pumping out the trains...I have seen many on here that haven't been to other CF parks and purchased a platinum pass to visit other parks next year...wait until you see other parks and compare.  It will give you a newfound appreciation for Kings Island.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Melody said:

I think Orion will be more similar to Banshee than Diamondback since it's 4 across seating rather than 2. Just makes the lines move quicker to me.

Also I assumed there wouldn't be bins from the beginning but some type of zippered pouches would be nice for cell phones and small items. I've never been lucky enough to go to Cedar Point (yet!) but isn't that what Steel Vengeance has? Anyone see that as a possibility?

I just went to Cedar Point yesterday- and rode steel vengeance for 2nd time, I rode it last year and loved it. line moved relatively decent and everything, THIS YEAR. iT TOOK FOREVER. They have metal detector, and that pouch, it doubles the time that it was last year just because they have you scan, remove, stamp, pouch. I literally- as much as I loved that ride, I wont go back to cedar to ride it again unless I had a fast pass. 

I hope to god we dont have to do that for our giga, it is terrible, infact. I am boycotting the steel vengeance due too that.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Overall, I think KI has the best operations of any of the over 30 parks I've been to.  We truly are spoiled by how good they are.

Out of any park I’ve been to, Kings Island and holiday world are probably tops, the Tampa Busch gardens and then all the Cedar Fair parks with Cedar Point last

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I wonder how funny a coaster studios operations video would be on Steel Vengeance? What has the average time between dispatches been if anyone knows? 

I swear it was like 5 minutes watching those trains. It took forever yesterday.  Amazing roller coaster though, absolute smiles all way through. Just garbage wait times/set up now. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FreedomPenguin said:

I swear it was like 5 minutes watching those trains. It took forever yesterday.  Amazing roller coaster though, absolute smiles all way through. Just garbage wait times/set up now. 

It depends on the day though. The operators are doing the best they can to get the trains out as quickly as possible. 

1 minute ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

It depends on the day though. The operators are doing the best they can to get the trains out as quickly as possible. 

It wasnt exactly their faults, I saw a ton of people giving them grief. A guy was wearing a waist belt (weight belt) and he argued for 5 minutes saying im not taking it off, they said, either take it off, or get off. People was really being awful yesterday. But the point I said earlier was last year there was no metal detector, no pouch. Went super quick! This year, all the extra steps doubled or tripled the loading times, going through checking every single hand, stamping, making them put stuff in pouches, I feel bad for the operators.

But I really hope these same policies dont come to our giga. Just stick the phone in back pocket, sit on it. its not going anywhere. Not sure why people cant grasp that concept. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, disco2000 said:

The 2014 season started without seatbelts but were installed on Diamondback within the first operating month that year.  Initially there was a delay, but it has improved since.  The seatbelts were installed for valid reasons.

The first reference of Diamondstack on this forum was June 16, 2013, but was used prior to reference here and had stacking issues long before the seat belts were installed.

One can search this forum and find where people have done some unofficial timing of dispatches and see that the seatbelts have not increased the dispatch times...ride op records would confirm this as well...as many have said in the past, for the most part delays are guest driven with issues other than seatbelts...

And as Brad has said, we really are spoiled at KI in terms of ride ops pumping out the trains...I have seen many on here that haven't been to other CF parks and purchased a platinum pass to visit other parks next year...wait until you see other parks and compare.  It will give you a newfound appreciation for Kings Island.

I can second this notion lol i have been to all most all Cedar Fair parks and all six flags parks and KI definitely has us spoiled on many levels. And on a personal note in my Opinion Worlds of Fun has the worst dispatches and food quality of all of the Cedar Fair parks. Also i rode fury of the nile several times just to cool down and the ride defeated its purpose i came off of the ride dry and they intentionally dialed down all of the water cannons and everything. 

• Like 1

I was not bashing park operations by any means I think KI is probably in the top 6 out of all the parks. Disney World parks I have found the quickest dispatch times but they don’t seem to physically check each harness. Busch Gardens Williamsburg was amazing. They have a monitor over the station that everyone can see with a count down timer and it shows what seats are lock/unlocked. 

• Like 5

• IndyGuy4KI unpinned and unfeatured this topic