Orion Coming to Kings Island in 2020

Was a sad day for me last night.  Finally got around to showing my wife the POV and all the hype for Orion. She didn't go to the reveal party.   (Off Topic:  my 15+ year old cat is named Orion, so I was pretty stoked for the name).  

She watched the POV and afterwards said..."A bigger Diamondback,  I just don't see the hype".  I was pretty deflated.  

She made the determination that Storm Chaser is her favorite coaster this summer (I don't get that either...over 200 credits and she goes with Storm Chaser as her #1???).  

That seems to be the theme when I've talked to / overheard the GP.  That Orion is going to be similar to DB.  I'm honestly disappointed that CF/KI didn't do a little better than this.  Don't get me wrong,  I'm excited for a new coaster, but I question the decision to go with such a bland layout.  Not to mention the 80' something foot tall brake run.  

Pic is for the obligatory cat tax.  Yes he is the OG Orion.

44639FF4-E317-4B9B-879C-255632D591B7.jpeg

• Like 8

15 hours ago, LuvingKI said:

The both of us love DB and honestly the only thing we wanted was a bigger one.. KI has lots of unique rides, but they needed a DB on steroids!

I agree with this. Majority of the GP absolutely love DB so what is the problem with a “bigger DB” to me that sounds amazing. Now when everyone rides it next year I think they will definitely think differently but it will take them riding Orion first to see how much different it really is. Which is fine with me. We don’t need the longest or the tallest giga. I would prefer a record breaking RMC or record breaking blitz coaster. 

• Like 5

It is funny how some people are saying the bigger DB thing. Most GP that havent actually seen a 300+ foot coaster/Giga, won't understand until they see it soaring above in the skyline. Then they'll really be like "OMG." That's when it will really hit people. Specially seeing it from the front gate, and the whole way you're walking to it. That's the true "epic" feeling of a Giga. At least in my opinion lmao. =D 

• Like 9

I remember someone posting awhile back that per the blueprints, there would be LED lighting similar to Fury on both the first and second hill. If that’s the case, I’m curious whether or not the lights will continue along the drop or if they’ll be segmented so that they’re only on the lift/uphill sections. I’m guessing they’ll be a blue color, but a shade of red to play off of the trains would look good as well. Stoked for some night rides on this thing next summer! 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, collin.klopfstein said:

I thought this was pretty cool, Im guessing orion is going to have this also: image.png

That's not just the PLC.  Believe it or not, coasters don't really require all that much computer power.  That's likely also compressor, electric, etc, in addition to PLC stuff. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, collin.klopfstein said:

Im wondering if Kings Island will do this with orion, Paint the lift hill supports one color and the rest light gray. This is Diamondback construction photos

Captureyjfufu.PNG

I was wondering the same, but I figured they would’ve shown it in the animation if that were the case. Have there been many supports visible at CSF?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, collin.klopfstein said:

Im wondering if Kings Island will do this with orion, Paint the lift hill supports one color and the rest light gray. This is Diamondback construction photos

Captureyjfufu.PNG

It's actually done like that to make the lift hill of Diamondback standout more!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, STLcoasters33 said:

I remember someone posting awhile back that per the blueprints, there would be LED lighting similar to Fury on both the first and second hill. If that’s the case, I’m curious whether or not the lights will continue along the drop or if they’ll be segmented so that they’re only on the lift/uphill sections. I’m guessing they’ll be a blue color, but a shade of red to play off of the trains would look good as well. Stoked for some night rides on this thing next summer! 

Yeah, I'd hope they do the lighting brilliantly with Orion. This ride needs the hill at minimum to be illuminated. Keep the back end dark, for amazing night rides. Do the Helix in some kind of cool circular lighting to look like a constellation perhaps. That would be nefty. =D

• Like 3

I'm not super good at electrical, but I believe everything in light gray in that pic is all electrical equipment. The two black boxes on the right side of the pic are server cabinets, so the computerization lives in those. The two smaller gray boxes mounted up high on the wall at the end of the room are transformers that make single phase electrical into multi phase, I do know that. 

• Like 5

Did anyone see the farmers almanac forecast for winter? There are actually 2 farmers almanacs- Old Farmers Almanac and Farmers Almanac. They are completely different. One is forecasting a “Polar Coaster” for winter for us. Maybe we should re-name Orion to Polar Coaster until next Spring? It wouldn’t be Cincinnati if a really large project didn’t have to fight the brutal Cincinnati winter!

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, STLcoasters33 said:

FWIW, the animation of Diamondback clearly showed different colored supports in the video. Maybe they’ll do two different colors of lights on the supports of the first two hills? White/silver supports mean they can turn any color at night time

As did they Coasterdynamix model they had at the announcement.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, fyrfyter said:

Did anyone see the farmers almanac forecast for winter? There are actually 2 farmers almanacs- Old Farmers Almanac and Farmers Almanac. They are completely different. One is forecasting a “Polar Coaster” for winter for us. Maybe we should re-name Orion to Polar Coaster until next Spring? It wouldn’t be Cincinnati if a really large project didn’t have to fight the brutal Cincinnati winter!

Oh yeah! That's part of building a coaster up here! I know Banshee they had to battle an extreme cold and brutal winter to get that coaster up. Also, I think due to that, they'll probably try and get the lift and drop in place before Winter due to extreme cold. 

• Like 1

The more I think about it, the more I think we’ll see blue LEDs running up the lift, along with a combination of blue/purple/maybe even red on the supports of both the lift and the second hill much Lille Fury 325.

Side note - there’s lift/track color conversations going on in both threads ATM, not sure which to post this in

1F8234A6-5A85-44AB-92AB-34B1A6DE992B.jpeg

BFBF4952-4BD3-400E-9CF7-6325E663F31E.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• IndyGuy4KI unpinned and unfeatured this topic