Orion Coming to Kings Island in 2020

1 hour ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

IndyGuy4KI's personal thoughts. I think they did not want to go higher because they do not want to go above the Eiffel Tower. I could be wrong, but I think that drives it more than not beating CP.

That may be but do you think it is from a stat or visual perspective standpoint?  

How many people (other than some here) know off the top of their head how tall ET is?  (I don’t).    So why would they care if a coaster is taller than ET?

From a visual perspective the I would think ET would appear taller from most if not all sightlines in and out of the park even if the lift hill was 350’ because ET is in the center and the lift hill is in the back and periphery of the park.  

I agree it has little to do with MF and CP.  I just think as a business decision there was no justification to spend more money for a fleeting record given the regional target market.  Could be wrong though.

• Like 1

I really wish we could all come together and get excited about the new coaster instead of being upset about it’s height. I personally don’t think it matters at all. The drop is 300 feet and it seems forceful with cool elements. I haven’t stopped thinking about it tbh, I am just excited to get to ride it next year!

I also can’t wait to see what they do with Area 72. I am really hoping to see FoF get cleaned up, I can’t say that enough lol. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

You may be onto something.

Just speculating with you.

I brought this up a few pages back. At first I thought it was meteorite, but the more I look at it, it looks like charred rubble. I hope it is a piece of Firehawk. 

1 hour ago, BoddaH1994 said:

So here is my soapbox thoughts:

We inherently knew that some people would complain.  We also knew that there would be some people that are almost more irritating complaining that people complain.  Even if we got the world's tallest giga or whatever, there would be a percentage of people that wouldn't be happy.  Some would be for legit reasons, some not.  As far as the whole "you should be grateful that we are getting a giga" thought process, that's kind of for the birds too.  They are offering a product and service.  They are attempting to entice you and millions of others to make purchases at their facility. 

Your entire post is very well said, @BoddaH1994.

Since 2009, Cedar Fair will have installed four roller coasters that are reliable, comfortable to ride, have huge throughput, and are marketable to a regional population well beyond their first year. In addition to that, their other additions have been aimed at improving an overall guest experience. 

Those additions all beat Tomb Raider, Italian Job, and Son of Beast by almost every metric. 

Kings Island (and by extension Cedar Fair) couldn't care less whether this ride is taller, faster, better, etc than any of the chain's other coasters. That's completely and totally irreverent. They're not worried about attracting ACERS, TPR folks, or YouTube reviewers (cause ya'll are gonna show up anyways), they want the suburban family with expendable income to come, purchase a pass, have a good time, find value, and spend more year after year. And by all indications—that strategy is working out quite well for them.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 3

Fact folks: at 287' tall it is NOT A GIGA. Drop length has nothing to do with it by definition. If it was about drop length then Magnum XL-200 would not be a hyper coaster. That said Orion will be a sweet ride. Please note there is no MCB, the ride will be short but FAST and smooth.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 7

1 minute ago, russell_dale said:

Fact folks: at 287' tall it is NOT A GIGA. Drop length has nothing to do with it by definition. If it was about drop length then Magnum XL-200 would not be a hyper coaster. That said Orion will be a sweet ride. Please note there is no MCB, the ride will be short but FAST and smooth.

Then would Apollo's Chariot not be considered a hyper?

• Confused 1

It is. Giga is either drop or lift hill between 300-399. What would you rather have, a 287 hill and 300 drop or 300 hill and 287 drop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rustbucket said:

Strange to think people still argue over height of the hill.  My favorite is Fury 325 but the second is Superman (Bizarro) from SFNE.  This coaster is 221 feet tall and pack such a punch that makes Millennium Force like a child's play.

Height is not everything. However, it helps to create the force.  The height that matters is the drop height and the angle of the drop.  Actual height of the hill is meaningless.  The CHANGE is G force is what I love the most.  I will ride Apollo's Chariot, Diamondback, Maverick or Magnum over Millennium Force every time. 

Disagree on height of the hill. It adds to the overall experience and thrill factor of the ride. Being 325 feet in the air has a certain fear factor for a lot of people. Even if it drops less, that will inherently be more scary and thrilling than 285. After that, it's opinion. I don't get people being called "wrong" or "ungrateful" for saying they aren't too excited about it. It doesn't blow some people away. That's just as valid as others saying they think it looks awesome. What people want is different and clearly a fair amount of people wanted a bigger or more unique coaster

But Diamondback AND Magnum over MF??? Really?? That's just crazy talk. More rides on MF for me!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thank you for using one of your 5 posts to enlighten us all on what the definition of a Giga coaster is. We can all rest easy now that we’ve read your great contribution to the community.
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, russell_dale said:

Delete your account. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 7

24 minutes ago, Gordon Bombay said:

Those additions all beat Tomb Raider, Italian Job, and Son of Beast by almost every metric.

I was just thinking about something similar--Italian Job and Delirium are literally the only late Paramount eras addition that are still standing. You have to go back to 1999 to find the next ones (Drop Zone, Face Off). And there was a LOT of money spent between 1999 and 2005 that ended up not paying off. And Delirium is the only one whose ride experience was sustainable. Love them or hate them, Cedar Fair's coaster additions have brought the park up to the modern era (as defined by timelines of other major parks) and will likely be around for a long while.

24 minutes ago, Gordon Bombay said:

Kings Island (and by extension Cedar Fair) couldn't care less whether this ride is taller, faster, better, etc than any of the chain's other coasters. That's completely and totally irreverent. They're not worried about attracting ACERS, TPR folks, or YouTube reviewers (cause ya'll are gonna show up anyways)

This.

1 hour ago, Kodistict said:

I thought Kings Island didn't have height restrictions because Drop Tower is 315 feet tall.

I am *completely* making this up as I go, but if there is any validity to that, perhaps the height restriction is not uniform across the park? I've heard Kentucky Kingdom has that situation, though it was from enthusiasts and not from anyone official.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

I am not qualified to argue the matter, but RCDB has Orion as a Hyper.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Giga isn’t a B&M term I believe, Fury and Leviathan are listed as Hypers, but Millie is Giga. Guess it has to be Intamin to be considered a giga. We’re ALL wrong :p

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, TombRaiderFTW said:

I was just thinking about something similar--Italian Job and Delirium are literally the only late Paramount eras addition that are still standing. You have to go back to 1999 to find the next ones (Drop Zone, Face Off). And there was a LOT of money spent between 1999 and 2005 that ended up not paying off. And Delirium is the only one whose ride experience was sustainable. Love them or hate them, Cedar Fair's coaster additions have brought the park up to the modern era (as defined by timelines of other major parks) and will likely be around for a long while.

Now we need flats to complement those attractions

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Logic said:

Being 325 feet in the air has a certain fear factor for a lot of people. Even if it drops less, that will inherently be more scary and thrilling than 285.

I guarantee that you do not know a single person who you could place on the top of a cliff with no information about its height and have them be able to differentiate between a 285 foot drop and a 300 foot drop.

Also, the only time you look down on a coaster is when you're going down the lift hill. Which drops into a valley. Which means, by your line of sight, you are looking down more than 300 feet. If the anticipation of climbing the lift hill is what you're basing the excitement argument on, I kinda get it, except you also don't climb up 300 feet on Leviathan because its station is a good 20 feet or more off the ground.

^ Responding to @BoddaH1994 now: want to see another good one?

goliath.JPG

(pic taken from https://rcdb.com/3385.htm)

• Like 3

After many years of gold ownership, I just purchased platinum. I am going to try and make a giant 1-2 week off vacation and drive in a circle hitting all 7 nearest cedar fare parks.  My current favorite coaster is steel vengeance and probably wont change, but I loved millinium force til I rode that as my first love. I am hoping this gives me the same excitement that MF does when I get on it. 

What order would you hit them from Ohio? Not Kings Island since I use it a lot,

1. Cedar Point

2. Michigan adventure

3. canada wonderland. 

4. Downey park

5. kings dominion

6. carowinds. 

7. Kings Island

then back to Dayton. 

or is there a different order thats better for driving? I am leaving dayton. I get free parking, and admission at every park using the platinum correct? Ive only been to cedar and kings. I also purchased food pass and drink pass, 370 bucks. but whatever. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, FreedomPenguin said:

After many years of gold ownership, I just purchased platinum. I am going to try and make a giant 1-2 week off vacation and drive in a circle hitting all 7 nearest cedar fare parks. 

What order would you hit them from Ohio? Not Kings Island since I use it a lot,

1. Cedar Point

2. Michigan adventure

3. canada wonderland. 

4. Downey park

5. kings dominion

6. carowinds. 

7. Kings Island

then back to Dayton. 

or is there a different order thats better for driving? I am leaving dayton. I get free parking, and admission at every park using the platinum correct? Ive only been to cedar and kings. I also purchased food pass and drink pass, 370 bucks. but whatever. 

You won't get in free to Downey Park. I am not sure what that is? Dorney??

• Like 1

Just now, Kingshaven said:

However they would have made more than enough money to cover the cost of the additional cost in those 2 to 3 seasons

I'm thinking they didn't want to invest more money because they are investing 130 million into all of their parks.

26 minutes ago, homestar92 said:

I guarantee that you do not know a single person who you could place on the top of a cliff with no information about its height and have them be able to differentiate between a 285 foot drop and a 300 foot drop.

Also, the only time you look down on a coaster is when you're going down the lift hill. Which drops into a valley. Which means, by your line of sight, you are looking down more than 300 feet. If the anticipation of climbing the lift hill is what you're basing the excitement argument on, I kinda get it, except you also don't climb up 300 feet on Leviathan because its station is a good 20 feet or more off the ground.

Well the difference is we have the information lol it's not a totally blind "guess how high you are." If someone is particularly afraid of heights, another few seconds going up and that extra bit towering over would add to it. So i guess to your second part, yes it's both. Most people have at least a twinge of apprehension about heights. The anticipation and that staring down can feel amplified

Said it before and I’ll say it again: want to be pedantic and insist one definition is “the” definition of something that has no definition outside of usage? Fine, it’s not the shortest Giga. It’s the tallest Hyper. 

Maybe you can find someone to tell about that who will be impressed by your “knowledge.”

• Like 4

Since the decoding thread is closed, I didn’t know which new Orion thread to put this in...so I guess I’ll just post it here.

I have a question for the decoding experts:

Now that we now know that Project X is called Orion...how many of the clues do you feel were accurate...and how many were “red herrings” like “Ride Sally Ride” to throw us off?

• Like 2

• IndyGuy4KI unpinned and unfeatured this topic