Orion Coming to Kings Island in 2020

In the spring of 2020 Kings Island fans from around the world will have the opportunity to ride biggest roller coaster in Kings Island history, Orion.

ki-orion-logo.png

After Millennium Force was introduced at Cedar Point in 2000, Kings Island enthusiasts have wanted a roller coaster just as big and tall at their park.  Ever since, KICentral.com members have been discussing and dreaming about what a Giga (300ft) coaster at Kings Island would look like, making it one of the most talked about subjects on the forums. The wait for a Giga coaster will be over next spring.

Brad Perdue, media director of KICentral states: "KICentral is very excited to see  Orion added to the coaster lineup at Kings Island. We feel this will be a great new thrill ride for the park and will help draw in thrill seekers for years to come." Stay tuned here at KICentral to keep up to date with construction updates and discussions as we anticipate opening day of the 2020 season. 

Orion will plunge riders down an exhilarating 300-foot drop before sending them on a high-speed journey over seven more hills at speeds of up to 91 mph. Racing along 5,321 feet of track, it will be Kings Island’s tallest, fastest and longest steel coaster.  “Orion reflects Kings Island’s commitment to providing top notch thrills and value to our guests,” said Mike Koontz, Kings Island’s vice president and general manager. “Beginning today, coaster enthusiasts from around the world are adding Orion to their list of must-ride coasters in 2020.”

Orion’s Backstory

Themed to the park’s new Area 72, the ride features the latest prototype vehicle developed by the Project X initiative. Scientists are in a race against time to develop technology capable of weaving transport vehicles through a coming meteor storm and traveling to a new planet within the Orion constellation. For the program to be successful, it needs volunteers to help with testing.

Stats

Ride Manufacturer: Bolliger & Mabillard   Coaster Type: Steel  
Classification: Giga  
Lift/Launch System: Chain lift hill  
Duration: 3 minutes  
Trains: 3 trains with 8 cars. Riders are seated 4 across in a single row for a total of 32 riders per train  
Capacity: 1,650 riders per hour  
Minimum Height Requirement: 54 inches  
Ride Opening: Spring 2020   300-foot first drop seven more hills 5,321 feet of track speeds up to 91 mph

KICentral Orion Rides Page: https://kicentral.com/rides/orion/

KICentral Orion Construction Updates thread:  https://kicentral.com/forums/index.php?/topic/34946-project-x-construction-updates/

XMCNqaFF.jpeg

f6x7nQ05.jpeg

E_PoAfEn.jpeg

Orion07_11x17_600dpi.jpg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

Orion looks wonderful.  There are more air time hills than Fury but not as many lateral elements.  It is much shorter and compact than Fury.  The length is closer to Leviathan.  I will be there to ride this first day if possible.  Thank you, Kings Island for making this happen.  I was waiting for this since Canada's Wonderland got Leviathan in 2012.  Unfortunately, we no longer live in Cincinnati area.....

• Like 15

2 minutes ago, Rustbucket said:

Orion looks wonderful.  There are more air time hills than Fury but not as many lateral elements.  It is much shorter and compact than Fury.  The length is closer to Leviathan.  I will be there to ride this first day if possible.  Thank you, Kings Island for making this happen.  I was waiting for this since Canada's Wonderland got Leviathan in 2012.  Unfortunately, we no longer live in Cincinnati area.....

I will be for sure even though I live in Indianapolis i managed to be one of the first 200 public riders on Steel Vengeance so I will make this one happen too lol

• Like 3

Thanks for posting the link, @FUN&ONLY!! I saw all the videos on the site, and while it could be a bit longer, oh my gosh does it look amazing! That turnaround looks like a non-inverted dive loop and that first hill after the drop takes you sideways! That’s like a Steel Vengeance move! I think Orion is going to be a big hit and I like the theme/backstory as well. I wonder if any of this will be incorporated into Chaos?

• Like 7