Could backwards blue racer be making a return next year?

Thabto

17 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

That seems like a poor thing to do. Why throwback something taken out over a decade ago? All its gonna do is get us excited for something that was just an easter egg.

It could be a subtle change like they did without an announcement like re-doing international street or the re-tracking of the blue-side of The Racer this last year. Also i would like to see them do what they did with The Racer 76 ( Rebel Yell) at Kings Dominion and in the synchronization programming toake the trains line up better. 

8 hours ago, homestar92 said:

The Banshee announcement video showed the water tower and target, Flight Deck in gray and not rethemed, and Delirium with a checkered paint job.

Best to not put much stock in the non-Orion things in the video.

There's a difference between showing things as they were at the time of the announcement and showing something that hasn't existed in years. Whoever put that in there made a conscious decision to make it backwards. 

• Like 2

Racer was never designed to go backwards & only did so as a one-year promotional stunt due to the various issues with The Bat.

That one year promotion turned into a 26 year reign. 

CF took over & made the change back to how the ride was originally designed.  I have a hunch the liability insurance that CF is required to carry had a hand in the decision too.  When KI made the move in 1982 we did not live in the litigious World like today.  It would be easy for a lawsuit to come up that an "injury" occurred due to the ride being operated in a way that it was not designed for.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, medford said:

I have a hunch that the biggest issue is that running 1 backwards forces the park to keep both sides open, even on slow days.  When they both run the same direction, they can shut down one side when crowds are light.

A sign of poor operations when a racing coaster doesn’t race.  

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Logic said:

Someone did make the choice when doing the video to put them that way. Hard to say if it's just a troll or means something. Can't say it just happened to be placed there though

It was put there as a a fun little easter egg/tribute. 

• Like 3

I'm not at all suggesting that you all could be wrong and the park is actually going to bring back recaR, especially since the park confirmed that there was nothing to that, but I do find that an odd choice to include it. I understand the concept of an Easter egg, but like... I remember back before the 2011 season, when the park dropped a quick tweet showing that some light theming would be added to The Crypt. I believe it was tweeted on April 1st. I suggested that perhaps it was a prank on the park's part because of the date since The Crypt's de-Tomb-Raider-ification was not terribly popular in the enthusiast community. Someone pointed out that the park calling "April Fools" would be equivalent to admitting that The Crypt was a bit of a failure as-is. This feels like it has parallels. Like, "Here's that thing you all have wanted to come back for over a decade. We've been in a habit of bringing back old things. But this one is just a joke, haha. Fooled you! Now go enjoy your forwards-only Racer."

Again, I want to be clear that I do not think the park is secretly going to bring back backwards Racer. Easter eggs are just Easter eggs: case in point, "number 5 is alive" on a poster at Cedar Point has NOTHING to do with Orion. I just think this was a slightly odd Easter egg to choose.

• Like 2

Hope springs eternal for me when it comes to sdrawkcaB recaR because it is something I would like so much. I had pretty much convinced myself that this year, with the strong emphasis on nostalgia (International Street, Antique Cars), would be the year even though there were absolutely no indications from the park. It wasn’t until a pic and a video had been released by the park in the week before opening day, showing each side was still running forward, that I accepted the truth. 

So, while I have zero doubt that Don Helbig believes it is NOT coming back, after I asked him last night (he actually seemed peeved by the whole thing, although he’s good at not giving into fully displaying when he’s angry), hope allows me to recognize a couple other factors. First, it isn’t his decision to make (or at least not entirely - I would bet his thoughts are taken into account). Second, this banner is going to make more than just me think it is coming back. I know people are already pretty vocal that they miss it going backwards, and this reference is only going to make that stronger. When I accidentally started the rumor a couple years ago that Antique Cars were going in where they took Dinos out (I just said it would be cool and within a week I had people telling me it was going to happen), it ended up making it clear that people missed them and would love to see them make a return. I make no claims that is why the park made their decision to bring them back this year, but it couldn’t have hurt to see the support for the idea. So, while I’m fairly sure a side won’t be going backwards in 2020... maybe this makes it more likely for 2021?!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Logic said:

Someone did make the choice when doing the video to put them that way. Hard to say if it's just a troll or means something. Can't say it just happened to be placed there though

I sincerely doubt anyone made a conscious choice to "throwback" or "troll." I would wager that whoever created the rendering was unaware or basing The Racer section off of old/incorrect information. 

As others have alluded to in years past and on this thread: supposedly recaR was flipped around when PTC further raised opposition to reverse running trains. That may or may not be correct, but what has been stated in this thread and is a fact is...

1 hour ago, medford said:

When they both run the same direction, they can shut down one side when crowds are light.

...running only one side immediately frees up three employees that can be used elsewhere should the occasion ever call for it. 

1 hour ago, super7 said:

A sign of poor operations when a racing coaster doesn’t race.  

Is it disappointing when one side is closed/they don't race? Absolutely. Is it poor operation? Not if those employee positions on the closed side are being used to keep other rides/operations running elsewhere. If it's a budgetary decision (I've heard they don't run both sides in the early and late hours in recent years?), then yeah... pretty disappointing. 

The reality is that Kings Island is relying on a workforce who's options have multiplied in recent years. 15 years ago, many positions at Kings Island paid higher than minimum wage and were rife with perks. Then the park went even with minimum wage and cut employee perks in a business where young people are relegated to seasonal work, required to work long hours, and often have to judge distance and gas vs. a return on their time. All while companies like Target, Kohls, and even certain fast food chains offered up higher (above minimum) wages, better benefits, better hours, and had more frequent locations/closer distance. 

It's my understanding that Cedar Fair (and by extension Kings Island) have made attempts in recent seasons to improve the allure of their seasonal positions and improve retention, but for as many people as the park can and does employ... it can be difficult to retain. 

All that to say: when a new ride opens within one of the park's areas, that area typically gets A LOT of scrutiny and attention. It's important for things to look good and run well, even those attractions within close proximity to the new ride. Perhaps there will be an emphasis to keep The Racer running both sides consistently, not just for the perception of "racing," but to keep lines moving on a side of the park that will see increased foot traffic. 

Maybe they'll even paint the thing too. 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Klabergian Empire said:

Chad Showalter confirmed on Twitter that the park animator used the only cgi version of Racer they had in the video and the Blue Racer was faced backwards.

Ah, that makes a lot of sense. The cars also resemble Racer 75 instead of our Racer with those colored headrests. I wonder if some amount of the model came from a Kings Dominion rendering.

1 minute ago, Joshua said:

Any thoughts on why recaR is the only CG Racer model available? Could it have possibly appeared in a previous announcement video? Perhaps one where it was far-off in the background? I'm genuinely curious. 

There's no other rendering of a coaster where most of the Racer was in the video. This was the only one that featured The Racer's trains

3 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

There's no other rendering of a coaster where most of the Racer was in the video. This was the only one that featured The Racer's trains

Which begs the question, where did this render come from?