Jump to content
decyferite

Smoking outside of smoking areas

Recommended Posts

So I have a feeling sometime very soon the entire park is going to be no smoking, and even I myself as a smoker, feel that they should be implement it... I stay in the smoking areas, but if GP aren't going to follow the rule, ban it in the park...  I've seen it probably 10 times today, and the last straw was some dude standing in Planet Snoopy puffing away and no one saying anything, so I did... Its getting out of hand

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they were smart it could be per cap boost as well.   Sell individual nicotine patches or lozenges for $5 in the gift shops.  Not the gum, parks wised up and stopped selling gum awhile ago.  I think I would rather walk through a cloud of cigar smoke than step on chewed gum that has been baking in the sun.:angry:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At the start of the season they posted a phone number in some bathrooms that you could text if there was an issue you needed guest services to be aware of.

 

I've often thought it would be great to text them photos of smokers and locations and see if anyone addresses it, but I haven't actually saved the number to my phone so I never have it when I think of this.

 

 

Also, I've suggested before that I think it would be great to start a thread of shame on here, where we post pictures of smokers that are outside the smoking areas... So maybe we should do that in this thread?

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The number is 69050 and is meant for “safety or security concerns”, I’m not certain that smoking outside the designated areas is really that. 

I’ve only tried to use it once, and wasn’t particularly satisfied with the response. Someone in front of me on Mystic Timbers’ very first train of the day had his phone out in his raised hand for the whole ride (after I asked him to put it away on the lift hill because I was worried the ride ops would actually stop us). I took a pic of him at the bottom of the exit stairs and sent it with a description of what happened to the number. I got an immediate bot response but nothing else so I assumed they were just going to take care of it or not, and it didn’t really need my further intervention (I had included that it was the first train and he had it out in the photo, so it wasn’t just my word against his, they could call up the funpix to confirm). Over an hour later, I got a human message that asked if I was still there and could speak with a ride supervisor about it. Obviously I hadn’t been hanging around waiting for a response for the whole hour, and there was really nothing I could add other than direct the ride supe to the proof as I already had (and since the ride supervisor isn’t security and I’m sure the kid wasn’t hanging out in the immediate area any more either, I don’t know how it would have helped, anyway) so I told them it had been an hour, so no, and they thanked me in reply and that was it. 

So while it is a cool idea to give guests an implied direct line to security, so we can report things without having to get into potential scuffles with other guests, I wouldn’t plan to use it for a serious or pressing concern. It would be better to direct such information to the nearest employee and let them contact security, if there is no security member nearby. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, lifetimecoaster said:

I’ve seen a lot of it today too. Disney has already done it, I wouldn’t be surprised if it starts to become the norm at all theme parks. I vape myself, and it makes me mad when I’m walking through the park and randomly walk through a cloud of that too. 

Just got back from Disney since the new policy was implemented. There seemed to be more ppl smoking and vaping not only in bathrooms but a few on dark rides. Husband and I both smoke and had to make the trek out to smoke, which wasn't much fun, no shade, but dealt with it. Add on nonsmokers making more rude comments than before about smoking I was over being there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


 
 
Also, I've suggested before that I think it would be great to start a thread of shame on here, where we post pictures of smokers that are outside the smoking areas... So maybe we should do that in this thread?
 
 
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 


What would be the point of a thread of shame on KIC? We know the rules, I'm assuming most KICers follow the rules. If it frustrates us seeing it live at the park, why repeat the image online?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, BeeastFarmer said:


 
 
Also, I've suggested before that I think it would be great to start a thread of shame on here, where we post pictures of smokers that are outside the smoking areas... So maybe we should do that in this thread?
 
 
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 


What would be the point of a thread of shame on KIC? We know the rules, I'm assuming most KICers follow the rules. If it frustrates us seeing it live at the park, why repeat the image online?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
 

Instead of "People of Walmart" It will be the Smokers of KI. Could be fun to include all the stupid acts also

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, chuck norris said:

At the start of the season they posted a phone number in some bathrooms that you could text if there was an issue you needed guest services to be aware of.

 

I've often thought it would be great to text them photos of smokers and locations and see if anyone addresses it, but I haven't actually saved the number to my phone so I never have it when I think of this.

 

 

Also, I've suggested before that I think it would be great to start a thread of shame on here, where we post pictures of smokers that are outside the smoking areas... So maybe we should do that in this thread?

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

I was taught not to be a tattletale and I doubt  someone smoking outside a smoking section would feel shamed.

And unless they are blowing it in your face and giving you pre cancer, i'd just ignore and enjoy your day at KI

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Magenta Lizard said:

The number is 69050 and is meant for “safety or security concerns”, I’m not certain that smoking outside the designated areas is really that. 

I’ve only tried to use it once, and wasn’t particularly satisfied with the response. Someone in front of me on Mystic Timbers’ very first train of the day had his phone out in his raised hand for the whole ride (after I asked him to put it away on the lift hill because I was worried the ride ops would actually stop us). I took a pic of him at the bottom of the exit stairs and sent it with a description of what happened to the number. I got an immediate bot response but nothing else so I assumed they were just going to take care of it or not, and it didn’t really need my further intervention (I had included that it was the first train and he had it out in the photo, so it wasn’t just my word against his, they could call up the funpix to confirm). Over an hour later, I got a human message that asked if I was still there and could speak with a ride supervisor about it. Obviously I hadn’t been hanging around waiting for a response for the whole hour, and there was really nothing I could add other than direct the ride supe to the proof as I already had (and since the ride supervisor isn’t security and I’m sure the kid wasn’t hanging out in the immediate area any more either, I don’t know how it would have helped, anyway) so I told them it had been an hour, so no, and they thanked me in reply and that was it. 

So while it is a cool idea to give guests an implied direct line to security, so we can report things without having to get into potential scuffles with other guests, I wouldn’t plan to use it for a serious or pressing concern. It would be better to direct such information to the nearest employee and let them contact security, if there is no security member nearby. 

So just so everyone knows, if you see an imminent security threat (think suspicious package or person with a weapon) or medical emergency you are instructed that you can use any park phone to dial 911. This will put you in communication with KI’s emergency services. Do not call 911 from your cell phone. That goes to normal Warren County Dispatch and may make the response time longer. 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wish they’d ban smoking. I’ve always told people put them out when I see smokers outside smoke areas, most comply, if they don’t I simply say it again louder to draw the unwanted attention of others to them.

my gf is actually alergic to cig smoke so yep im vocal and have no cares about how a smoker feels called out in public park. 

Its wrong and they shouldn’t do it. If park implemented no smoking park, season pass holders who are offenders get strikes and lose their pass privileges maybe?

Revocation due to safety hazard violation

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, FreedomPenguin said:

Wish they’d ban smoking. I’ve always told people put them out when I see smokers outside smoke areas, most comply, if they don’t I simply say it again louder to draw the unwanted attention of others to them.

my gf is actually alergic to cig smoke so yep im vocal and have no cares about how a smoker feels called out in public park. 

Its wrong and they shouldn’t do it. If park implemented no smoking park, season pass holders who are offenders get strikes and lose their pass privileges maybe?

Revocation due to safety hazard violation

It's really not hard to locate a smoking area, honestly, I just dont understand blatantly ignoring the rule...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DonnaFan said:

BoddaH, where on Earth are park phones? I've never noticed any. I'd think it would take longer for me to find a park phone then any delay in Warren County talking to KI dispatch.

I believe they are the phones you can find in and around ride stations. Think of the one in the weatherproof box just outside the Eiffel Tower elevator.

 

I could be wrong though, and these could be strictly for ops. :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yesterday there was a guy in front of the cashier for Slingshot smoking. There is a smoking section within clear sight of there. 

One of the major problems with making the park smoke free is that it isn’t going to make jerks like that stay away, or even change their behavior unless they are kicked out, and I really don’t see that happening (although I have heard of a few occasions of people being kicked out for the safety hazard of a phone on the ride, personally the worst I’ve seen is it being removed on the lift hill and handed back by security after a “stern lecture” of about ten seconds). What banning smoking park-wide /will/ do is move the respectful smokers who already use the designated areas now into either restroom stalls or just outside the entrance, where you’ll likely be walking through a toxic fog every time you walk in or out from the parking lot. I already notice that more than the smoking sections, especially when everyone is leaving at the end of the night and a good number of smokers light up immediately outside the gates to smoke on their trip to their cars. 

Tobacco smoke gives me migraines, so I’ve always been pretty sensitive to the situation. But /believe me/ smokers and smoking are way less of a problem than they ever have been in the past. You know phones out on rides being a problem now? Imagine burning ash. When I was a kid, people were allowed to smoke in queues (really /anywhere/ outside and a good number of smoking sections indoors). And those lines were typically much longer than anything we see on a regular basis today. It was impossible to avoid cigarette smoke.

Except for a few outliers, whose behavior wouldn’t be affected by a total ban, it is very easy to just avoid getting too close to the current smoking areas. I worry very much that trying to crank down any more on it will make avoiding it way worse than it is currently. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

During daily operations I visit the park A LOT through May, June, and July, and August. Since I've been doing this, I haven't ONCE seen someone smoking outside of a smoking section.  Vaping, yes, but never smoking. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but I definitely think it's being blown out of proportion here. I like this forum a lot, but man there is a lot of "THE PARK NEEDS TO BAN THIS OR THAT!" around here. Just relax and enjoy the park.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, ldhudsonjr said:

During daily operations I visit the park A LOT through May, June, and July, and August. Since I've been doing this, I haven't ONCE seen someone smoking outside of a smoking section.  Vaping, yes, but never smoking. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but I definitely think it's being blown out of proportion here. I like this forum a lot, but man there is a lot of "THE PARK NEEDS TO BAN THIS OR THAT!" around here. Just relax and enjoy the park.

We went one time this year and found it 4 times in that one day. We did not say anything but did have to get up and move from where we were sitting. I can't stand smelling it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been a dozen or so times this year to CP/KI and almost every day have seen one more people walking around with lit cigarettes.  Wife and kids are highly sensitive to it so I actively watch and steer clear when I can.  The worst was seeing 1 person this year in the water park walking around with a lit cig.  THAT should be immediately bannable.  You know people are walking around barefoot.  Anyone who can't figure that out for themselves or care enough doesn't deserve to be in the water park, IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, KIBOB said:

I believe they are the phones you can find in and around ride stations. Think of the one in the weatherproof box just outside the Eiffel Tower elevator.

 

I could be wrong though, and these could be strictly for ops. :-)

You are correct. Worst case scenario you could always just tell an employee. That are also trained in what to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a massive wait in mystic timber’s end of night last ride, one smoker lit up, and more started in line. I told him and everyone in a blanket loud statement to put them out, next thing you know I had the gf’s of the smokers yelling at me telling me it’s none of my business what they do- classy right?. A few of them put it out but a lot of the line ended up smoking away. No one backed me up.

I got paired w a smoker who started the smoke train, and he put it out and said sorry, it’s been an hour and he just tried to get small hit and didn’t realize everyone would do it, no excuse. Just don’t do it period. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been smoking since you could smoke in malls and theaters. I'm grandfathered in.  It only bothers me if someone lights up in line and won't let ya bum a square. 

jkjk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I'm to be honest, I think that part about it that angers me so much is that as someone who vapes, I take the time to go to the smoking areas to do it. It makes me angry that people don't have the consideration for those around them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the problem is the people who smoke wherever in the park tend to be problem people in other areas, i.e. the same people who show up intoxicated, pick fights, harass employees, cut lines, etc. They just don't care.

An uphill battle as it is, if it bothers  you, say something. If nothing is said about it, then nothing will be done about it. At minimum, you are letting the park know that it is a concern. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely agree. Someone willing to flout the rules in a way that is as clearly obvious to those nearby as a lit cigarette or plume of vape is not someone who believes the rules (or other people) are important. They are going to do what they want when they want, whatever that might be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...